What is the meaning of the heart in the suitcase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iLoveElephants

Babyface
Hi everybody. I'm new; this is my first post here. :wave: I've been lurking for a few months and decided to join your group. So at the risk of sounding like a complete dummy, can someone please explain what the heart in the suitcase means? :confused:

Thanks!
Ani

I'll take shy'ss thought a step further....:up:

Love should be the only baggage that you can't leave behind (the stuff that Bono talks about at the end of the "Walk On" is that stuff - the hatreds, the jealousies, the envies, etc - that we SHOULD leave behind).:angel:

What I think (hope) that the B-man also meant by these words is not only to TAKE LOVE WITH US EVERYWHERE WE GO but to SPREAD LOVE EVERYWHERE WE GO!:hug:

Whether in our families, in our communities, with our friends or WITH EACH OTHER here in this forum, the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN THIS WORLD IS OUR WILLINGNESS TO SPREAD LOVE, to be accepting, gentle, patient, forgiving and positive with each other - even when it is hard to do.:wink:

I think this is what Bono would have us infer from his simple and eloquent lyrics.

Thanks for asking the question, iLoveElephants (I do too - whether the mammal kind or the U2 CD kind) - and hope you stay with us in these forums. It's always good to get a fresh perspective on things.

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T DENY IT..... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Hi everybody, and thank you for the warm welcome. :wave:

I posted a little something about myself in the introduction section. I am looking forward to getting to know everybody!

Ani

It just means that they packed all their hearts into making that wonderful album. Albums have their symbols.

Another album had a baby in a spacesuit and it was a very futuristic sounding album.

Yet another album and the succeeding tour used imagery of a big giant lemon, and that album really turned out to be a lemon.

One album showed an innocent young boy and it reflected the innocence and youth of U2 during that time.

Another album showed an angry boy and that album was about war.

Cheers,

J

I also think it was a symbol of an album in which they gave us their hearts.

Then there is the literal translation, "All That You Can't Leave Behind" being taking the things you love most and can't live without with you when you go in the suitcase.

I had a sad experience over the weekend, having to go through all the things in the house I grew up in since I was a toddler. My Mom sadly had to sell the big old house, and didn't have enough room to take everything. I have a small, crappy place that is already full of stuff. I had left most of the things that meant most to me at Mom's for safe keeping. Having to sort through a lifetime of memories and decide which ones I couldn't leave behind and which ones couldn't come along was very hard indeed :sad: All that I couldn't leave behind, as sentimental as I am, that's more than I have space for.

U2Kitten:sad: It's awful to have to make such choices. I hope you were able to keep some of the things that were important to you, and that represent the good memories of times with your mother in your old home.
I don't know you at all, so maybe I'm being very forward making these personal comments. I just feel sad for you, and hope things work out.

Hmm, interesting, I always thought it was the symbolism in Walk On. All that you cant leave behind, Packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been, home is where the heart is. Hence, the heart in the suitcase symbol. I could be wrong, but that is how I always viewed it.

My summer vacation is going to start this Friday...
I'll pack my suitcase with love, the beating heart and all you can't leave behind.
I thinl the problem is that a lot of people tend to forget the fundamental things and get to their knees for all kinds of thing they don't really need.
If we could just find, in our heart, without telling lies to ourselves, what are the important thing, maybe we'll live in a really better place!

Rafiennes said:
That U2 runs an organ donor delivery service on the side.

Ha! Now we know Larry's secret for maintaining youthful looks ;)

I think suitcase means travelling, being away from home, packing ... the kind of thing U2/Bono does a lot, but the heart means they always get back home to their families and friends.

I see the message in connection with heaven. It is often said, "You can't take it with you". Bono confirms this by saying you can only take love.

nbcrusader said:
I see the message in connection with heaven. It is often said, "You can't take it with you". Bono confirms this by saying you can only take love.

That's my take. All that you can't leave Behind = Love :) :heart:

Back
Top Bottom