What is the best way to delay an album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was thinking, what would be the best way to delay an album? For a while we had though the album was coming out in March, but what if their goal was to delay it to May. If they had just come out an said it fans would have been in a complete uproar. Yet, but simply telling the world that the album might not come out till next winter and upsetting the fans to an extreme and then pushing the release to two months later, it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore. So I ask you this. Was the goal to ease us into May by telling us that it was coming out in the winter?

Well, apart from that PR woman no one really said anything about Winter and we had many hints the album is coming in Spring - March, April or May, whichever. (still, nothing is official yet and we can all still be wrong on that)

*edit* If the album was coming out in Spring all along, I don't see why the winter rumor came up in the first place. :shrug:

Last edited:
Possibly the reason for the "Winter" rumour was to tease us. Get us really pissed off that they're delaying it so much, and then surprise everyone when it *gasp* comes out in May! Then they'll look so good that they decided to push the album out early instead of the "intended" release date of winter. We'll be shocked and so hapoy and pleased with the PR guys.

I think that's the plan.

Well, it looks like winter '04 is it. Reports now say September, but knowing the way this band operates, It'll get pushed back at least 1 more time. U2 aren't prolific it terms of songwriting and recording.

I've read that Bono once said ATYCLB would be released in March 2000.

He did the same on the new album.

Maybe "Solar", "Open Arms" or whatever will be released in October. :huh: :huh: :huh:

A little perspective...

U2 isn't concerned about the special requirements of a fringe group of U2 fan(atics) on a U2 message board who have been prowling the internet searching hypnotically for information. Most of the U2 fan base aren't this insistent. I somehow don't think their plans are in any way contingent on our expectations. Most of the general U2 buying public will not be affected by this. If the album is released in 7 months from now instead of 3 months, U2 will not commit the ultimate error, lose their fan base, and commit career suicide as some have hysterically suggested. The world as we know it will not end. Only some of the fringe group which can be found at places like this message board will be all that upset, and even these people - even the ones who threaten to disown the band - will be first in line like a kid on Christmas morning to open their precious new U2 album. It will be amazing to see how quickly their anger and desire to protest U2 by disownage will dissolve into nothing once they get the opportunity to alleviate their fix.

U2 has nothing to worry about. If only the rest of us could do the same.

Sorry about the rant. :sexywink:

I think they're just having a little fun with us - I'm sure they'd get a kick out of our collective hysteria!

they're probably not intentionaly delaying the album, though the whole winter thing might just be a rumor to throw everyone off

Mr. U2DMFan isn't it funny that the May date was thrown out, and by somewhat "credible" sources and immediately someone else came out to claim that "Bono" told "them" that album was delayed until September? I think it's someone trying to f@(k with us all, that's all.:eyebrow:

name one person who has claimed that they would disown the band because of a delay, mr griffiths

U2DMfan said:
I want one person to post an even "somewhat" credible source that says fall 2004.

Just one.

what about Regine Moylett, the PR Rep, who claimed it wouldn't be until winter? She was never disproven. (I know she somewhat changed her statement, but stil...)

Dorian, while I agree the Regine is a reputable and credible source, I think if you hear the same question a million times, and you cannot truthfully answer that question, you say whatever comes to your mind. I don't believe the Winter time frame. I could be proven wrong, but I'm not buying it at this time.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think if you hear the same question a million times, and you cannot truthfully answer that question, you say whatever comes to your mind.
Yep, I know what you mean, and I do hope you're right about May...
but I got a bad feeling :|
(which, along with recent rumors, is my only basis for going along with the September prediction)

is that the PR Rep for the band or for the label?

And if so where did she say it? An email? Does someone have a link to this?

the band's rep.
this was posted on the Interference news page a couple days ago... (The "Don't Believe the Hype!" thread)

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhh what a fucking moutain made out of a molehill.

Ok, I made a different post for those who don't dig thru the old posts, its easy for them to get lost in the shuffle.

It's called "What principle management actually said"

Still pointing to a release in the next few months.
Still waiting for someone to show me otherwise.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
name one person who has claimed that they would disown the band because of a delay, mr griffiths
That's not my job. You can look through the posts in the last week, if you're interested (hint: check the threads that spawned up after the "winter" announcement was made). There were a couple people saying they would no longer be interested in U2 if it were true. And many others expressing similar anger. But you missed the point, regardless. My point is not so much the details of their intentions, but rather their overall attitudes with something that, really, is completely U2's business to decide for themselves.

oh now conveniently thats not your job because you cant find it

usually it is the job of someone who makes ridiculous claims to back it up with proof, but i guess thats never been your thing

ive seen a lot of people who would be disappointed with a delay, and some who dont think it was smart for u2 to wait for so long to release another album, but nobody that has claimed they would disown the band.

we are all big u2 fans here obviously, and im sure everyone will eagerly purchase the album the first day it is available.

Chizip said:
oh now conveniently thats not your job because you cant find it

usually it is the job of someone who makes ridiculous claims to back it up with proof, but i guess thats never been your thing

ive seen a lot of people who would be disappointed with a delay, and some who dont think it was smart for u2 to wait for so long to release another album, but nobody that has claimed they would disown the band.

we are all big u2 fans here obviously, and im sure everyone will eagerly purchase the album the first day it is available.
Chizip, my dear friend...my dear, dear amigo, confidant, and connoisseur of all things from sports to music, alike....please don't take this the wrong way, but - and I mean this in the kindest, most gentle way possible - will you shutup? When have I ever made ridiculous claims about other people on this board? I'm not in the habit of such things. The reason it's not my job is NOT because I couldn't find it (truth be known, I don't want to waste my time looking for it since I know it to be true anyway), but because I don't want to point fingers at people who were simply caught up in the heat of the moment. As I said, these same people will be first in line to buy the album like kids on Christmas morning. It is not my aim to ridicule these people, simply to offer a little perspective.

Get a grip!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom