What is it about Ultraviolet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Ugh, I hate the lyrics. They sound like those of a boyband and have utterly no substance at all. And I find the music to be pretty boring.

How are the lyrics "boyband lyrics"? To me the lyrics are an honest, poetic examination of a grown-up, complicated romantic relationship, not puppy love.

Ellay said:
To say that the lyrics have no substance is nonsense, If anything I find them some of the most profound lyrics on the album. The general consensus seems to be that they are based around the bible story of Job, the man who lost everything except his faith in God. The only thing he knew for certain was that God was there to look after him (Light his way) in his journey through life, even though, because of what had happened to him he couldn't always see it, hence the title of the song, - humans can't see ultra violet light, even though its there

I fail to see how the lyrics relate in any way to anything Biblical (though Job does appear in Wake Up Dead Man and Beautiful Day). I HATE the lyrics. All it sounds like is a sleazy song about sex and it repulses me. I'm embarrassed that U2 ever made this song. At least Red Light is forgivable.

Probably one of my favorite U2 songs. Addictive lyrics, catchy chorus, nice guitar riff... they all fit hand in hand. Live version is killer too... even when Bono drops the f-bomb!

Funny, I always considered So Cruel the weakest track on AB... ah well. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. :)

On other threads I have seen people talk about their lack of appreciation for this song. First of all listen to the amazing guitar riff. It's vintage edge! And, those synth-horns are out of this world. In addition, the lyrics (other than all the baby, baby) are hardly boybandish.

You bury your treasure where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret that's been passed around
There is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep
I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap

I remember when we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together in whispers and moans
When I was all messed up and I heard opera in my head
Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed.
And now a boyband lyric:

You hit me faster than a shark attack
You saw my picture on the Backstreets Back...(alright!) And you were more than just a pretty face
But how you fooled me
I'm still amazed? babe

To me this song (UV - not the Backstreet Boys song...people you made me degrade myself by looking up their lyrics) carries all the tension that is a result of a man trying to throw his arms around the world. Our character has returned home with a massive hang-over and a mess of a relationship to clean-up. This song embodies what Electric Storm was supposed to be about.

UV sounds like a boyband song?? idiotic...not even listening closely, its apparent to me that it is a very dark song not a piece of fluff, and the music is superb.

Pffft....its the 2nd best track off the album and it sounds more achtung baby then any other song on achtung baby (if that makes any sense.

Shouldve been a single.

Makes Until the End of the world seem as if it was written by celine dion

intedomine said:
Makes Until the End of the world seem as if it was written by celine dion

... What?! UTEOTW = ROCK! UV = Blleeeeehhh. Really, it sounds just like U2 were trying to prophesy the impending flood of boybands. I can imagine someone like Boyzone or N'Sync harmonising "Your love is like a secret that's been passed around."

Bland music, weak lyrics, boring song.

I despise those two lines. Come on Bono, you're better than that.

Axver said:

... What?! UTEOTW = ROCK! UV = Blleeeeehhh. Really, it sounds just like U2 were trying to prophesy the impending flood of boybands. I can imagine someone like Boyzone or N'Sync harmonising "Your love is like a secret that's been passed around."

Bland music, weak lyrics, boring song.

I despise those two lines. Come on Bono, you're better than that.

Have to disagree....

I was exaggerating with Until The nd of the world by the way....but it's just another u2 song for me

Axver said:

I fail to see how the lyrics relate in any way to anything Biblical (though Job does appear in Wake Up Dead Man and Beautiful Day). .

check out this link

Http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/U2MoL/AB/gbeavon.html

& this was on 'meaning of' archive
In the book of Job in the Old Testament, the character of Job goes through a period of time when he is in misery and wishes to die. He calls out to God asking for guidance and comfort, saying, How I long for the months gone by, for the days when God watched over me, when his lamp shone upon my head and by his light I walked through darkness! Similarly, in the U2 song Ultraviolet (Light My Way) the speaker feeling forsaken, uses many of the same metaphors found in Job (the treasure, the secret, the endless nights). In desperation, the speaker calls out for comfort, just as Job did, Your love was like a light bulb hanging over my bed. Baby, baby, baby, light my way!

Ellay said:

check out this link

Http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/U2MoL/AB/gbeavon.html

& this was on 'meaning of' archive
In the book of Job in the Old Testament, the character of Job goes through a period of time when he is in misery and wishes to die. He calls out to God asking for guidance and comfort, saying, How I long for the months gone by, for the days when God watched over me, when his lamp shone upon my head and by his light I walked through darkness! Similarly, in the U2 song Ultraviolet (Light My Way) the speaker feeling forsaken, uses many of the same metaphors found in Job (the treasure, the secret, the endless nights). In desperation, the speaker calls out for comfort, just as Job did, Your love was like a light bulb hanging over my bed. Baby, baby, baby, light my way!

Hmm, interesting perspectives. I have an extremely hard time accepting that such meanings are accurate, though ... it seems to be reading a meaning into a song that just isn't there. To me, the song just sounds like it's some pathetic song about a guy wanting a bit of sex. Ugh. I'm listening to it now, trying to see what the rest of you like in it ... Adam's bass is pretty good, I'll concede that. But that's all I can find that I like about it.

Don't you just wish the band would publish an explanation every time they released a song!!!

Ellay said:
Don't you just wish the band would publish an explanation every time they released a song!!!

It would be quite convenient!

(And if this Job explanation is actually accurate, I may come to appreciate the song. For now, though, I see it as reading in a meaning that isn't there.)

I'm actually starting to like it a little bit more after every couple listens. I guess it just takes a long time to grow on me.

Axver said:

It would be quite convenient!

(And if this Job explanation is actually accurate, I may come to appreciate the song. For now, though, I see it as reading in a meaning that isn't there.)

If it's completely about sex like you menioned, is that not also possibly reading into a meaning that might not particularily be there?

Back
Top Bottom