What is 'A Year in Pop' ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nesskelz

Acrobat
Can someone tell me what the special 'a year in pop' was? Does anyone have any stills from it?

I think it was a TV broadcast right at the start of Popmart, with Dennis Hopper presenting.

However it got VERY low ratings, I think even a low record was set. :huh:

Last edited:
U2Girl is correct on the info. It was aired on ABC the night after Popmart began in Las Vegas. The special was pretty much a brief look at U2's history, the making of Pop, and what to expect from the next tour. I've got it on DVD. It may have gotten low ratings, but it's still fun to watch. My favorite part is Adam's quote on the giant lemon, "We've got to make a statement. We're in Vegas, man."

yeah, it was the lowest rated non-news program ever. i don't know if something has taken its place though.

but i've got it on tape (i freakin stayed home on a friday night to watch it!), it's all right. i can't see why no one watched it.

I think is worth to watch it, The interviews are good, its funny at times, and it has some very good moments like Please performed in the studio.

If you can connect with my computer you could have it LOL

I've always REALLY wanted to see that! I'd love to find a copy of it somewhere. Anyone interested in selling one?:wink:

I really like the special, I remember my excitement when it was aired here. I have it on tape and I?m used to revisit very often. The interviews are great, the images as well and the brazilian pos-production is very good, including the subtitles (bad translation always annoys me a lot, but this one is pretty good). My fave parts are:

Bono and Larry dueling over the Passengers experience, Bono picking on Larry is really funny :)
The part shot at Hanover Quay, with performances of Gone and Do You Feel Loved...especially Gone :love:
Bono reading the dictionary, the possible meaning or meanings of the word Pop :lol:
Allen Ginsberg reciting the lyrics of Miami and the collage of images that goes with it.
Finally, the rehearsal at The Factory with Please, that rafmed mentioned above...I love that video and that performance, it?s raw and sincere.

Very good stuff for a Pop fan. :)

Cheers
MT

follower said:
I really like the special, I remember my excitement when it was aired here. I have it on tape and I?m used to revisit very often. The interviews are great, the images as well and the brazilian pos-production is very good, including the subtitles (bad translation always annoys me a lot, but this one is pretty good). My fave parts are:

Bono and Larry dueling over the Passengers experience, Bono picking on Larry is really funny :)
The part shot at Hanover Quay, with performances of Gone and Do You Feel Loved...especially Gone :love:
Bono reading the dictionary, the possible meaning or meanings of the word Pop :lol:
Allen Ginsberg reciting the lyrics of Miami and the collage of images that goes with it.
Finally, the rehearsal at The Factory with Please, that rafmed mentioned above...I love that video and that performance, it?s raw and sincere.

Very good stuff for a Pop fan. :)

Cheers
MT

yeah, actually all those things were really good.

the dennis hopper naration was annoying to me though.

I still don't understand how it was the lowest rated non news show ever....:scratch:

I mean, what was the WB's line up that year???:D

I only just re-watched my copy of this a few weeks ago. It is a good doco I reckon, I quite like it because I actually went to a Popmart show and the stuff from Larry about Passengers is very good. Gotta say that I am amazed at the ratings it got, but then again I always think ratings are wrong, I mean, I've never been asked for my shows and I dont think I know anyone who has, so who are all these people who get little black boxes on their tellys that records what they watch??????:eyebrow:

yeah. i was 17, and stayed home on a friday night to watch it. that's a lot to ask of a 17 year old. very good program though!

Is that the same interview that the bonus DVD from the best of 1990-2000 showed clips of?

Nesskelz17@aol. said:
Is that the same interview that the bonus DVD from the best of 1990-2000 showed clips of?

Yes :) At least the part with Bono discussing the meaning of the word Pop it?s there, for sure. I would need to check the bonus DVD again to tell you if there are something more.

Cheers
MT

Back
Top Bottom