What is a non-U2 song featuring Green Day doing on a Definitive Best Of (yuck) U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's a good song for a good cause. what it's doing on the best of, i don't know or mind to be honest.

It's fine as a single, but it's not a definitive collection song by any means. It's really not smart at all. Make it 18 actual hits if that's what you're going for, leave the Saints and new song as singles only.

some people always try to avoid answering the actual question posed :tsk:

Personally, I am outraged.

66da7734860b5af2dd269593dd1ed9c9smalltr2.jpg

U2Man said:
some people always try to avoid answering the actual question posed :tsk:

Fine. I have no problem with it, as a) it's a good song; and b) it's a new song that will be on an official album, rather than just a download.

There. Happy now?

The same reason THTBA were on 1990-2000-----to advertise the song & what the song's for (in THTBA's case, a movie)---only TSAC is for a much better cause.

a) shouldn't u2 only include the good songs that they actually wrote themselves on a best of compilation?

b) isn't it coming out as a single? If ya want cd-quality, you can just buy the single.

there there. im still not happy.

a) I see your point, but it doesn't bother me in the least

b) Eh, I'm a completist, so I'll buy the album anyway.

U2Man said:
a) shouldn't u2 only include the good songs that they actually wrote themselves on a best of compilation?

b) isn't it coming out as a single? If ya want cd-quality, you can just buy the single.

a). Hahaha---like U2 really wrote Where the Streets Have No Name! :lmao: :wink:

b). At least here in the US, hard copies of singles can often be difficult to find, and will many times have high "import" fees attached to them.

there there. im still not happy.

:shifty:

Yeah, I gave up buying all the singles because it just got to be too much. I'll buy them if I see used copies at CD stores or Half Price Books.

because Green Day is huge with the younger generation. U2 want the younger generation to buy their CD's. So what better than to record a collab with GD and release it on your best of.

fna692002 said:
because Green Day is huge with the younger generation. U2 want the younger generation to buy their CD's. So what better than to record a collab with GD and release it on your best of.

we might have a winner.

If an artist is still recording music when their "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" release comes out, often the artist will include one or two new songs to entice buyers. This has been true for decades. It's only when the artist is no longer recording that it may be more of a true "Greatest Hits" type of package. But even then, sometimes a new mix will be tossed in (like a recent Elvis "Best Of" of a few years ago) or the songs will be focused on a theme (like the Beatles' "1"). But in general, artists include some new release in the "Best Of" to get fans to buy yet another album.

Hence, the Green Day song and the new U2 song are the "reasons" for fans to buy this "Best Of the Best Of", even though it's premature and superfluous.

Um, introducing a new audience to U2's "best" work? If you were sort of attracted to U2 after seeing them with Green Day, or admiring their efforts re: Music Rising -- where would you start? The two "Best of"s are old music, and the newest cd doesn't have the songs that you heard if you saw the pre-game show in New Orleans. So....it's a nice introduction to U2's music -- right in time for Christmas!

Not really, Dilettante. If they wanted an intro they would've started. One song with the other band won't change their minds. They've heard Beautiful Day.

Hmmm. I disagree. I've been tempted into buying more than one cd by hearing one or two songs by artists I wasn't previously familiar with. And usually I start with their most recent work, or a "best" of. Actually, that's how I got into U2 -- I bought the two "Best of..."s -- and then, after getting into some of the b-sides, went back and started buying the original albums.
If all you knew of U2 was the New Orleans pre-game show, where would you start? (Assumming that you didn't want to go through the catalog song by song on i-tunes.)

Aygo said:

THTBA is a U2 song, written by U2 members and played by U2 only.

Yeah, but as I said, the reason it and TSAC are on their respective albums is to advertise for something-----one for a movie, the other for Music Rising. Even if you may not think it's right to have a cover or a collab on there, the reason it's there is unrelated to what type of song it is.

Johnny cash has several covers & collaborations on some of his (many) greatest hits albums----notably, Hurt and The Wanderer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom