What influences do you want/awate for the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a '97 Rolling Stone interview, I recall Bono saying that they were experimenting with different Celtic sounds. Didn't really seem like anything came out of it.

The Sad Punk said:
In a '97 Rolling Stone interview, I recall Bono saying that they were experimenting with different Celtic sounds. Didn't really seem like anything came out of it.

If they could get their arses into gear and release an album with Celtic/Irish influences - i.e. WILD IRISH ROSE! - I would be a very, very happy man.

DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE.
IT IS TOP SECRET! :reject:
Now hear this, because I am ONLY going to say this once!
SO PAY ATTENTION!
The next U2 album is going to be called
"The Future Is Now and It´s FUNtastic".

It´s going to feature a 3-D picture of that sheep(clone) Dolly in colourful colours, on the front sleeve, and in the back sleeve a picture of U2 members dressed in sheepskin jackets and wearing spaced-out spandex pants and having drinks in an anti-gravity sub-orbital spacestation.
The names of the 15 songs will be posted on the left side of this before-mentioned band picture in braille.
To actually SEE properly the “Dolly” 3-D picture on the front sleeve CD-cover fans will have to get an extra pair of Bono-U2-3D-Glasses by writing a self-stamped envelope and sending to Propaganda magazine.The glasses will be free of charge, but you have to buy the mail stamp.
All songs will be in the same style as the "passengers" album but with more heavy influences on the electronics and heavy guitar riffs, sort of like POP and Actung Baby.
All songs will be produced by Brian Eno/Steve Lillywhite/Beastie Boys.
Some songs will include an African-style drum beat with Australian Jirido flutes and Bono will sing in African-Swahilli language. Backing vocals will be by Ladysmith African Mombazo band.
Special guest singers like Bjork will sing backing vocals on a song that will be called “Frozen Pinguin”.
Ziggy Marley will sing backing vocals on “I shot the sheriff but I did not kill John F.Kennedy”.
Larry Mullen Jr. will finally play a 10 minute drum solo by himself on a song called “Larry” and will finally sing solo on a song called “I invented U2 in my kitchen”. The rest of the band members will just sing backing vocals and in accapella form sounding like those old-time 1950´s Duo-woop groups.

This is TOP-SECRET information I have just learned.
DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE. IT IS A SECRET!

Last edited:
bsp77 said:

So HTDAAB Part 2.

No

All I said I would want is the rockers. The rest is my speculation. I can see it happening. And besides, every album has at least one (at the time of release) throwaway pop song. You may not agree with me on the definition of that, but I consider Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Mysterious Ways, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo throwaways.... Not just the new ones. Almost every album has the shorter, slower song I mentioned thinking a new album would have (The Ocean, October, 40, Promenade, MLK, Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, The First Time, Grace, One Step Closer). U2 hasn't really had any extended solos (like I mentioned for a bluesier song) since songs like UTEOTW or The Fly off Achtung Baby, so that one's a stretch, but I can hope. And it's not uncommon for U2 to have a piano-driven song (such as October, New Year's Day, Running To Stand Still, So Cruel, The First Time, Walk On, Original Of The Species). And since the mid-90s, U2 has always had a song with more emphasis on bass (which I figure is why Adam says the ladies will like the song -- again speculation, but from my research with musical taste of girls, for the most part, they like the bass more than guys do) such as Some Days Are Better Than Others, The Playboy Mansion, Do You Feel Loved?, In A Little While, and A Man And A Woman. So I'm not saying they'd have another album that is just like HTDAAB. I'm saying they'd have another album that's like all the rest.

the tourist said:
And besides, every album has at least one (at the time of release) throwaway pop song. You may not agree with me on the definition of that, but I consider Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Mysterious Ways, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo throwaways.... Not just the new ones.

In what universe are Pride and ISHFWILF throwaway pop songs? Yeah, right, there were sooooo many Top 40 songs back in the 1980s that sounded like those two tracks and dealt with similar themes. :rolleyes:

Bono's shades said:

In what universe are Pride and ISHFWILF throwaway pop songs? Yeah, right, there were sooooo many Top 40 songs back in the 1980s that sounded like those two tracks and dealt with similar themes. :rolleyes:

Just because you consider a song a classic doesn't mean it's not a throwaway pop song. I consider quite a few Beatles song throwaway pop songs as well. And, no one can possibly agree on any set definition for a song, so why roll your eyes when I state an opinion?

the tourist said:

Just because you consider a song a classic doesn't mean it's not a throwaway pop song. I consider quite a few Beatles song throwaway pop songs as well. And, no one can possibly agree on any set definition for a song, so why roll your eyes when I state an opinion?

I do agree that a song can be a classic and throwaway. And the Beatles are a great example of that.

But U2 spent forever working on Pride (primarily the guitar and tempo - see the UF documentary) and Still Haven't Found is very intricate. I wouldn't consider either to be throwaway.

bsp77 said:

I do agree that a song can be a classic and throwaway. And the Beatles are a great example of that.

But U2 spent forever working on Pride (primarily the guitar and tempo - see the UF documentary) and Still Haven't Found is very intricate. I wouldn't consider either to be throwaway.

I have the UF documentary. U2 spent forever on Vertigo as well, though, so does that make Vertigo any less of a throwaway pop song? Just asking.

the tourist said:

I have the UF documentary. U2 spent forever on Vertigo as well, though, so does that make Vertigo any less of a throwaway pop song? Just asking.

I would agree that Vertigo is throwaway. I think they spent forever with it over the years, but once Lillywhite got involved, they just cranked it out fast.

Regardless, I don't think anybody (including myself) really knows what the hell throwaway means. :wink: I just don't think of U2 as doing much throwaway stuff. I think of them as agonizing over everything. I wish they would be a little more throwaway.

I always thought "throwaway" meant a song that was disposable fluff with no substance. That's why I think it's ridiculous to call ISHFWILF and Pride throwaways. Hope that clarifies things.

I'm not even sure I'd call Vertigo a throwaway, but it does come closer to fitting that definition IMHO than Pride or ISHFWILF.

Bono's shades said:
I always thought "throwaway" meant a song that was disposable fluff with no substance. That's why I think it's ridiculous to call ISHFWILF and Pride throwaways. Hope that clarifies things.

I'm not even sure I'd call Vertigo a throwaway, but it does come closer to fitting that definition IMHO than Pride or ISHFWILF.

:yes:

bsp77 said:

Regardless, I don't think anybody (including myself) really knows what the hell throwaway means. :wink: I just don't think of U2 as doing much throwaway stuff. I think of them as agonizing over everything. I wish they would be a little more throwaway.

I basically agree. I think they did some throwaway stuff on Passengers that was a hell of a lot different than Vertigo.
I don't know if we all have the same defintion of throwaway, but I am with you on the vibe. Wild Honey is probably a good example of one that doesn't work. Slug is a good example of one that does. All subjective opinions, of course.

Actually I think Vertigo, by the time it became Vertigo as we know it was hashed over pretty good. They spent a lot of time getting the vibe right, they wanted a catchy first single. Musically speaking it sounds as if it could have been written in 15 minutes, which leads you to think it's throwaway.

It sounds throwaway, in whatever universal defintion I can imagine but the reason I don't think it was as good as it could have been is that it was overthought. This song in it's most primal form was Native Son. It's like U2 and Eno going back into to rework Always Forever Now to get it on the radio. I'd imagine that song was written very quickly and it retains the sound of a song made "on the go" so to speak. I can be more specific later but I think they would have gutted that song or others if they had taken the spontaneity out of it. That to me is what throwaway means, written quickly, "sounds good, we're done" sort of vibe.

With U2, they seem to agonize even over the smallest details of a simple song. 2 years in the studio for about 15 tracks, 4 of them not even considered "album-worthy", most of them rather simple musically.

So, I agree. U2 need to be more throwaway. The Beatles didn't take a song like Julia and jazz it up for top 40 effect. They left it as simple and beautiful as it is.

Last edited:
As far as influences for the new album.
I'd rather see U2 turn away from the need for mass commercial acceptance and just rip an album out, rather quickly without regard to how it will sell.

Whatever influence that is, then that is what I'd like to see.
At any rate, I'd like them to meet me halfway. Make an album full of commercial anti-risks with some really interesting musical ideas and hopefully Bono will be aided by less time in the studo. Stronger vocal takes has been a problem on the last 3 albums IMO and I see it as a problem of wear and tear.

U2DMfan said:
As far as influences for the new album.
I'd rather see U2 turn away from the need for mass commercial acceptance and just rip an album out, rather quickly without regard to how it will sell.

That is why they need Jack White! 10 days in the studio and done! :drool:

i do NOT want to hear them say "this will be a real guitar album. edge is on fire."

that sort of shit is old news. we heard that the last two albums.

give us something new.

They should take note of Husker Du's Zen Arcade. Over twenty tracks recorded in eighty hours. Most of the songs are first takes.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

They should say the album will be heavy on the wind-chimes and say nothing else about it until it's recorded.

Zoomerang96 said:
i do NOT want to hear them say "this will be a real guitar album. edge is on fire."

give us something new.

AMEN!

Zoomerang96 said:

give us something new.

it depends what bono was meaning with edge is on fire.............. i think he was talking about edge's ideas, not about a new or heavier way of playing guitar. i mean, this is actually how u2 sound and how we all learned to love them...........

the tourist said:
They should say the album will be heavy on the wind-chimes and say nothing else about it until it's recorded.

:lmao:

That'd be classic.

They should take a leaf out of their heroes, The Ramones's book and record a quick, raw album of 10-12 3-minute rock and roll tunes and not bother with any ballads, or agonising over getting everything perfect..I bet it'd be pretty enjoyable and a bit different from what they're doing now as well.

How about U2 makes an album with a somewhat similar sound to Porcupine Tree's Deadwing album? Deadwing has one song on it (Lazarus) that could be a hit if it had a name like U2 behind it and the music itself is genius.

Well they need to wrap up this trilogy of "back to roots rock albums" so they can venture off into new territory.

Max_theHitman said:

DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE.
IT IS TOP SECRET! :reject:
Now hear this, because I am ONLY going to say this once!
SO PAY ATTENTION!
The next U2 album is going to be called
"The Future Is Now and It´s FUNtastic".

It´s going to feature a 3-D picture of that sheep(clone) Dolly in colourful colours, on the front sleeve, and in the back sleeve a picture of U2 members dressed in sheepskin jackets and wearing spaced-out spandex pants and having drinks in an anti-gravity sub-orbital spacestation.
The names of the 15 songs will be posted on the left side of this before-mentioned band picture in braille.
To actually SEE properly the “Dolly” 3-D picture on the front sleeve CD-cover fans will have to get an extra pair of Bono-U2-3D-Glasses by writing a self-stamped envelope and sending to Propaganda magazine.The glasses will be free of charge, but you have to buy the mail stamp.
All songs will be in the same style as the "passengers" album but with more heavy influences on the electronics and heavy guitar riffs, sort of like POP and Actung Baby.
All songs will be produced by Brian Eno/Steve Lillywhite/Beastie Boys.
Some songs will include an African-style drum beat with Australian Jirido flutes and Bono will sing in African-Swahilli language. Backing vocals will be by Ladysmith African Mombazo band.
Special guest singers like Bjork will sing backing vocals on a song that will be called “Frozen Pinguin”.
Ziggy Marley will sing backing vocals on “I shot the sheriff but I did not kill John F.Kennedy”.
Larry Mullen Jr. will finally play a 10 minute drum solo by himself on a song called “Larry” and will finally sing solo on a song called “I invented U2 in my kitchen”. The rest of the band members will just sing backing vocals and in accapella form sounding like those old-time 1950´s Duo-woop groups.

This is TOP-SECRET information I have just learned.
DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE. IT IS A SECRET!

um?

my only question to all of that is: Why did you feel the need to use a different font? :wink:

I'd love to hear a completely new U2 sound. I'd love to hear an entire album of pure rock. I'd love to hear an album with "Mercy." I'd love to hear a new U2 album in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom