what if the new ALBUM is not that good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think any of you know what rock and roll is. To say U2 rarely "rock" is crazy. Unless you're all Tool fans and they're the standard you using?

^

Exactly! I've become irritated by people who say they don't 'rock'. Every album except "The Unforgettable Fire" has rocked, even "All That You Can't Leave Behind".

I know that the next album will rock, and that's all there is to it.

I don't listen to Tool

U2 still doesn't rock though

that's why I will continue my crusade for the next album to only feature acoustic guitars and flutes

I heard they were using recorders on the new recored. You know, those things that look like flutes? We played them in elementrary school in music class.

But seriously, what defines "rock"? You can say it's the electric guitar performed in a certain way, but then what about the songs that use piano and no guitar which still rock? So I don't think it's instrument particular. We could say it's *how* you play the instrument, but some songs are very fast paced (ie, jungle, trance), but still don't "rock". So what defines it? Is it "attitude"? If that's the case, why wouldn't say Frank Sinatra be classified as rock? His attitude was very rock n' roll. I'm beginning to suspect, however, it isn't this application of attitude that would define it. Rock has a very particular kind of application... and it seems to have more to do with a certain savvy and outtlook and groove than it does with instrumentation or philosophy or even attitude behind ideas. It's almost impossible to define though. And herein lies the crux of this conversation....

Dorian Gray said:
I think "rock and roll" is a better description of U2's music than just "rock."

but I'll never say why...
I think the opposite. To me, they "rock", but don't exactly "roll". The Rolling Stones have the "roll" down pat, but U2 is more a *rock* band.

Michael Griffiths said:

I think the opposite. To me, they "rock", but don't exactly "roll". The Rolling Stones have the "roll" down pat, but U2 is more a *rock* band.

hmm.. musically, I take it you equate "roll" with swagger, rhythm and sexiness?

would this be a fair assessment?

Last edited:
Dorian Gray said:

hmm.. musically, I take it you equate "roll" with swagger, rhythm and sexiness?

would this be a fair assessment?
Somewhat, yes, though "roll" also encompasses a certain blase, a cetain detachment, maybe even a coolness - and most importantly, the ability to become lost in the fun of the moment. In order to "roll" the band has to be all about having fun. U2 are a very serious band, though they also poke fun at themselves. They usually work at the "roll" aspect of their personalities, while the "rock" comes more naturally. To "rock", a band has to have the ability to stir the pot, to create an evironment where it's possible to change the mind of an entire stadium, to take the crowd into the stratosphere, and give them the opportunity to examine themselves in that state. This is where U2 excells.

BTW, Bono himself considers U2 more a "rock" band than a "rock n' roll" band. He said it in an interview a couple years ago. He also thinks U2 is the world's loudest folk band - and this I can totally see.

U2 is a Christian rock band. and you all know it ,you just dont want to face the truth. they were and are a Christian rock band.
(elevation boston dvd) after walk on what are they singing. at the grammys, after walk on what are they singing and so on.
bono saving the world is another thing to look at. so they are the best Christian rock band.with songs like peace on earth and when i look at the world and the J33-3 on the album.

i still havent found what im looking for:tongue:

U2DMfan said:
If it makes you want to get up and make a fool out of yourself, then it probably rocks.

i dont know, people who dance to techno reallllly make fools of themselves, yet techno doesnt "rock"

shaun vox said:
U2 is a Christian rock band. and you all know it ,you just dont want to face the truth. they were and are a Christian rock band.
(elevation boston dvd) after walk on what are they singing. at the grammys, after walk on what are they singing and so on.
bono saving the world is another thing to look at. so they are the best Christian rock band.with songs like peace on earth and when i look at the world and the J33-3 on the album.

I gotta disagree with you here man... they are spiritual, but Christian themes are not the underlying force behind all of their work. I think Christian rock music is driven by a band's faith, it expresses it, whereas U2's music, will sometimes contain Bono's reflections on his spirituality. (songs like Still Havent Found, Wake Up Dead Man, Wanderer, etc)
Although, I'm sure one could make a case for October being a Christian album.

As it is, the band themselves are uncomfortable with the "Christian" label.

Dorian Gray, you are so correct. U2, while admitedly having some "spiritual" and even "christian" themes in their music have long shunned the "Christian Rock" label. Maybe it's a shrewd marketing ploy, but most likely they do not (nor do I) consider themselve to come from that genre.

Yep ^^^^.

October is probably about the most religious they've gotten. But they're definitely more spiritual.

shaun vox[/i] [B]I dont think this album will be atyclb 2(i know some have said it said:
I don't believe you people. Fearing that a U2 album will suck. Really, they haven't made a bad album yet. The album may rock harder than ATYCLB, but it'll still sound like the same band. Which is a good thing. Love it or no, ATYCLB is a good album....but if you can find a way in which you can really relate with it, it can be a GREAT album. Same with Pop, Zooropa, etc. It's not just about how the album sounds, it's also about how you hear it and what it means to you. You are all U2 fans....that's why you're on this board. None of us know what the album will sound like....other than the fact that it'll have Bono's voice, Edge's guitar, Larry's drums and Adams bass lines. In the end....isn't that enough?

Aaaand thank you!

Seriously, all these doubts are kinda depressing. I mean, go ahead and have them if you wish...but I prefer to be optimistic. I have a feeling I'm gonna like most, if not all, of the songs on the album.

Which is the way it's been with pretty much every U2 album for me.

Like ATYCLB...there's songs off of there that I love and that mean something to me personally. There's other songs that may not be my personal favorites.

Doesn't mean the album as a whole sucks, though.

And ditto U2girl's posts, too. U2's a very eclectic band. They've done music from pretty much every genre you can think of out there...so to classify them as either a rock or pop band or whatever is pretty difficult.

Anywho...I'm excited about the new album. I think it'll be great.

Angela

I'm sure that whatever the next album might be I will like at least some of it. After all, out of all U2 albums there're maybe 3 that I can say I love from start to finish (Boy, UF & ATYCLB), so a little bit of skipping won't matter much.

I honestly can't understand why people refer to AB as a full-on rock album when IMO it really only has a few full-on rocking songs.

"bad" U2 wouls still be better than 98% of the stuff out there. (IMHO) I feel like it takes a while for an album to sink in. I know that I thought very differently of ATYCLB after it had been out for awhile.

"You cannot get disillusioned if you do not have created illusions"

Stop being doing suppositions and better wait that the album is released to give a verdict... I think

Back
Top Bottom