What if the new album is not that bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2DMfan said:
If you set your expectations realistically then there is no way the new album should disappoint.

I would just suggest not expecting a certain "sound" because most of U2's albums, if not all are quite diverse. So while Bono might be talking about 'loud guitars' and such, you know good and well, there will be 2 ballads, 2 radio friendly mid-tempo radio singles, a couple of rockers and then the strength of the album will come from the other 5 or 6 songs. U2 are good songwriters, but usually great or even good albums are diversified in songwriting, which by it's nature means, some will like some songs more than others. I think Miami was a great song, some people think it's crap, I don't care to much for Stuck, but some people think it's great. But that's what U2 are, a band of different elements and if you expect a little bit of everything, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

The band have proved one thing, if anything, they like every other band in the history of rock and roll, can't please all of their fans, but they have so many fans it's virtually impossible. They thing about U2 is they are consitently great at making records that leave you wondering what the band will do next. And that might be their greatest asset. They don't need to be #1 on the charts to validate their music, but sometimes you'd think the band believes it does. The music buying public is to fickle to gauge your success on what is selling and what is not. Pop was not a failure by any stretch, unless you are consdiering your own expectations. I agree with Griffiths, that album will be looked at in 10 years as U2's most misunderstood album, but very creatively sound and diverse.

The true test will be if the music is worth listening to along side with the rest of their efforts. My guess is that it will be, as long as you don't expect something that will not happen. U2 are going to give us what they want, not what they think we want. That is their formula and I think it's worked ina great fashion. Although there will always be a certain number of fans who are going to want something else.

ATYCLB is not one of my top 5 or 6 U2 albums, but it IS a great album because it affected many people and it obviously touched many people. Just because it didn't affect me the same, doesn't mean you should overlook the obvious. And if the new album "is not that bad", then why would that be surprising? Their worst album (whichever one you consider their worst) is certainly "not that bad" and anything they are doing in this day and age, 25+ years sonce they formed is just adding to their legacy.

U2 are a great band with many great albums, it's just a matter of opinion which ones are great to you and which ones aren't. When in truth, they are all great because they mean different things to different people, and the new album should be no different.

Expect from U2 to be U2. WHich means many things, all of which should be considered when "wanting" the new music to be what YOU want. I want new U2 and I don't expect it to be the greatest album I've ever heard, but I do expect it to contain the things that make the band great to EVERYONE on ths board. And that might include some songs that aren't my favorite, but I'd be willing to bet that my least favorite tracks are someone else's favorite tracks. That's why they are great, because they deliver different songs to different people, and they'v done it over and over and over.

I'm ready for what's next.

Brilliant, took the words from my mouth.

Edge plays the most beautiful guitar in rock history. Please don't drag in homophobic comments, fucking ignorant prick.

I AM on of those fans. You know the one who doesn't care if the song is crap (which by the way I haven't found yet) who will love U2 no matter what they put out.. Let me tell you, I don't have to justify my love for their music. They're a phenomenon like the few that have come before them. If their music could be summed up in some neat little category, it wouldn't be the mystery it is today. I love every thing about this band. Just by virtue of the fact that I went out and bought POP because of all the bad review's if you will, on one of these forum's and then couldn't believe I had not bought it when it came out. Even though I had heard it all, it was just different hearing in context to the whole of the album. Now it's up there with the icons JT AB & UF. How can it be explained? Hell if I know. I've seen concerts, heard groups and bought countless albums in my lifetime but nothing to the extent of my complete devotion to U2. Even, if you can believe I've never seen them live. That's not going to be the case this time around.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if the new album 'sucks' according to the mainstream. I love u2 no matter what, for forever and always. The less popular they get, the smaller venues they'll do, and I'll have a much better chance of getting them all to myself :mac:

"Bad" U2 is still way better than 98% of the stuff out there. I am ready for the next chapter just PLEASE tell us when the album will come out!

Strato Edge said:
Edge plays the most beautiful guitar in rock history. Please don't drag in homophobic comments, fucking ignorant prick.

alright motherfucker:sexywink: dont you see the dam wink and smiley in my comments. i was joking. we know edge is not gay or anything. so back off.

still beautiful is kind of girly:madspit:

oh and u2 are not realy a guitar band.

here is the pic

edge.JPG

Last edited:
What if the new album is not that bad?

My question is: What if the new album is better than Muse latest effort "Absolution"?
I bought it almost casually and I fell in love with it immediately.

If new album is as much epic as Muse's i think I'll destroy the floor of my flat jumping up and down endlessly, waving my arms in the air like a PeteTownsend-windmilling guitar playing super EDGE!

(then my neighbours would shot me)

P. S. Edge! I really need a skyscraping-scratching-syncopated noise from your machine-gun guitar.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Well I will be really surprised if U2 had two great albums in a row. I mean, Rattle and Hum followed JT and Zooropa followed AB - and IMO they were not as good.

Well, I see what you mean, but in the eyes of the public view War is probably more known and acclaimed. (after all Unforgettable fire was more experimental and you could say it only had 4 "real" songs)

even if bono farts in the new songs it will be better than atyclb.
hey it will kick ass!topping atyclb will not be hard! and thats why u2 made this album(atyclb) just to make things a little easier for them selves.

Back
Top Bottom