What if new U2 album sounds like Boy/ War era U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Will fans who want innovation and experimentation be disappointed if the new U2 album sounds like Boy/ War era of U2 but with more modern production elements and modern sounds, especially considering the negativity brought on ATYCLB as being un-inspired/ un-original?

Just from listening to those two clips released so far, I keep thinking of those albums (Boy, War, October, and the A Celebration single).

To be honest, the idea of an album being based on Boy type U2 over Achtung Baby is exciting and interesting considering the lack of power-pop I hear on the radio (and I'm not talking about Green Day/ Blink 182 punk-pop).

I think based on the two clips, it sounds VERY promising, sounds like Boy meets Achtung meets ATYCLB.

Boy because it's kind of just raw guitar rock.
Achtung because it's more distorted and Edge is playing more notes.
And ATYCLB, well because of the voice.

I feel more excited about those two clips than I ever got about Beautiful Day and I think BD is a damn good song.

After November, I can die a happy man. Seriously...I just need to hear this new album before I go. Actually, I wanted to catch them on a few stops of their tour. Make that November 2005.

"the energy of boy&war with the depth of achtung baby"

I can not conceptualize something more brilliant than that:drool:

I would be thrilled if it's a modern combo of some of their classic stuff. I have a feeling it's going to be.

Did anyone happen to notice U2.com? Something about if you're waiting for the latest, find out all you need to know about the first.

I don't think these new leaks are the same songs that I heard when I went into the studio but one thing that is consistent is the tempo. The music I heard, (and the boggy clips that have been leaked) are all, kinda 'UP UP UP' sounding, not a slow moment. (I'm not a muso so apologise for my descriptions!).

As I said at the time, I think the new stuff will be very new, but if we want to make parallels, it will combine the energy of the Boy / War era with the rhythm of later works (AB of course comes to mind). One of the guitar sounds in the studio was very reminiscent of I Will Follow, but the rhythm and structure were extremely inventive and fresh. The guitar was certainly alot more electric and silver sounding than anything we've heard for a while.

Edge told be that there are only be 2 or so ballads on the record which would re-itterate this.

I hope that there will be lots of discord too; loud and abbrasive clashes of sound, like Wire or The Fly. I can't think of any discord on ATYCLB. Surely 'punk rock on venus' should involve some nice, loud and fucked-up sounds?

It's going to be a real struggle not listening to new clips but I'm going to try. The comparisons with Kim Wilde are already as annoying as the comparisons of 'Beautiful Day' with 'The sun always shines on TV'... and once you get it in yer head you're stuck in a comparison that you can't get out of!

Cheers,
Jim

I would assume it will sound Boy-ish, isn't Steve Lillywhite producing a good chunk of it? I just want to hear it, November is too far away!!!

Yes, it will be very interesting to hear what the new album is like. Like so many of U2's transformations/transitions/new directions, we the audience are always left to wait in anticipation and hope.

Personally, from the grabbled snippets I have heard, it sounds a bit more "ballsy" so to speek. I was listening to Electircal Storm today and just listening to the power and timbre of Edge's guitar. Obviously this may be a small glimps of the sound.

Now I do agree, it does sound like Achtung Baby, however, out of all their albums, Pop has the "darkest/rawest" sound to it (at least from the guitar. Perhaps that may be an influence this time around, whoever mixed with the uplifting ideals of ATYCLB.

I guess the point i am trying to make, is that we can find similarities in everything that they have done. If there is anything we can learn from the past is that we can not put this band in a box or even speculate correctly as to the directions that they plan to go in. All we can do is strap in and hold on for the ride of a lifetime! I personally can not wait for the album to arrive. It shoudl be great and I know we will all love it regardless of what it sounds like.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom