What If: Live Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
What if U2 had ended Bad in due time (i.e.: Bono doesn't dance), and gotten to play Pride? I know how great the memories are, but to a crowd of 100,000, screaming "IN THE NAME OF LOVE!"

Then I think we wouldn't have gotten one of the defining moments of U2 (Bono jumping into the crowd to embrace the girl), and who knows if their path from that point might have been different?

I think U2 would still have been huge stars the moment they released The Joshua Tree even if the Live Aid setlist had gone as planned, but we would have definitely missed something very beautiful and special.

you wouldnt have one of the greatest performances of Bad ever!

Sunday Bloody sunday i wouldnt of minded them switching for With Or Without You or something, that would be great hearing thousands of fans going "wooo oohh ohhh oohhh"

As we all know, Pride never sounded as good live as in the studio, but it was at its best in 84/85. So maybe it would have been cool at live aid, but that day was perfect as it was, it was the first time i saw U2 other than on TOTP and it was that day that i became a fan, i was only 10. That performance of Bad was the defining moment in my life(music wise!) so i wouldnt change it for the world.

I'm glad live aid went that way. I agree that it was one of the best Bad performances... It was mamorable and amazing... If they played the setlist how it was planed their act would probably be forgotten by everybody except the fans...

prideofzootv said:
Sunday Bloody sunday i wouldnt of minded them switching for With Or Without You or something, that would be great hearing thousands of fans going "wooo oohh ohhh oohhh"

:huh:

Because U2 could have totally played With Or Without You in 1985, despite the fact it wasn't created until the next year. U2's just that good!

annie_vox said:
I'm glad live aid went that way. I agree that it was one of the best Bad performances... It was mamorable and amazing... If they played the setlist how it was planed their act would probably be forgotten by everybody except the fans...

yea I think so too, they would just have been 'one of the acts'... and not 'the guy who jumped offstage to dance with a girl' act...
who knows what would've happened at Live8 then :rolleyes:

Axver said:

:huh:

Because U2 could have totally played With Or Without You in 1985, despite the fact it wasn't created until the next year. U2's just that good!

oh sh*t yeh, im gettin albums mixed around...woops!

I think live aid showed the world what u2 was about - connecting with audiences to make a point. Its one thing to throw a big concert with the bands singing to the people, but its another to have the bands actually singleing people out.. and isnt that what live aid was all about? Seeing people and not just crowds of people, seeing that these people in africa dying are people two and not just a country?
The point im trying to make is - live aid wouldnt have been live aid without it.

An Cat Gav said:
As we all know, Pride never sounded as good live as in the studio, but it was at its best in 84/85. So maybe it would have been cool at live aid, but that day was perfect as it was, it was the first time i saw U2 other than on TOTP and it was that day that i became a fan, i was only 10. That performance of Bad was the defining moment in my life(music wise!) so i wouldnt change it for the world.

I can't agree that Pride is worse live, I think in the opposite way. I love the studio Pride, and the live version may not result as well, but imagine a 50000 crowd singing this song and those "wo-oooo-o" till the end of the song. I think is magic.

I just would have liked them to start playing Pride right as he finished his dance and skipped the rest of the song with all of the Ruby Tuesday/Sympathy for the Devil and all - a two in one, really!

It was a defining moment of the day, Bono got it in the neck from the other guys "We didnt play our hit" I thought it was fantastic and Bad is not even one of my favourite U2 songs.

if u2 didnt finish like they did they wouldnt of been remembered at Live Aid.

OpperGoeroe said:

Too bad they didn't play Stop (The Poverty) at Live Aid, now that would be awesome, with a snippet of Mercy :drool:

i thought they did :ohmy:

OpperGoeroe said:

Yeah, One was a huge hit in the mid eighties.

wtfCOLDPLAY?

seriously though, I love Bad from Live Aid, it's in The Pantheon of Awesomeness for me. To imagine it shorter would be close to impossible for me.

bono should sing 'in the neeeeme o' loooove' instead of that loud 'in the NAAAAME OF LOVE' that sounds shouted, forced....
thats why pride isn't good live, that chorus line

You've got to be kidding...
PRIDE instead of one of the all time best performances of BAD???
I hope you're just trying to get a stir out of us.

theu2fly said:

Thought we were discussing Live 8, sorry.

Well, then they did play One at live 8. So, either you said they should have played One at Live Aid, when it was not released, or you're saying One at Live 8, which they did play.

Back
Top Bottom