What if it's a religious kind of album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Looking at the lyrics from Love, peace or else thread, and thinking of song titles such as Yahweh, Man and Woman, Crumbs from your table, Miracle Drug, All because of you, Original of the species, I think this could be their most openly faith-inspired album since...October.

Last edited:
I hope this album has lyrics with religious content but not exactly praising (or bashing) but making questions and with messianic biblical references and stuff. :yes:

Most of their albums deal with love and God and some other things in between. Why would anyone expect this one to be different?

I don't think it's going to be overtly religous, not anymore than the other 10 albums. Also, same for politics. It's probably going to have some politcal statements, but haven't they all?

i'm thinking a man and a woman is about adam(not clayton) and eve.
with that song , and yahweh and crumbs from yr table, its very likely an album about god.
only one little problem: how do you relate god/religion and atomic bomb, especially when you are going to dismantle it?

You know, all of U2's albums have a spiritual theme in a song or the whole album. This album will be no different from that. I don't think it will resemble anything in the "October" theme, but I'm sure references will be made to the Almighty.

Yohnny_Mo: I'd say it could be that the Christian world (the developed West) helps out the Third world, in every way, and thus prevents any future atomic bombs going off.
Or, more unlikely but perhaps even bigger concept, all religions put down their disagreements and start acting more benevolently, thus disarming the fanatics and the humanity comes together as one.

Or, it will be a statement against religious violence, similar to War being a statement against, well, war.

Last edited:
Johnny_Mo said:
only one little problem: how do you relate god/religion and atomic bomb, especially when you are going to dismantle it?

I think that the title of this new U2 album probably has more to do with the sound of it than with the lyrics.

Johnny_Mo said:
i'm thinking a man and a woman is about adam(not clayton) and eve.
with that song , and yahweh and crumbs from yr table, its very likely an album about god.

Because I think U2 is saying there are all sorts of figurative "atomic bombs" in our lives and souls. That we are capable of so much hate and destruction. The only way to dismantle an atomic bomb is through love.... See what I'm saying?

Yes, I think this album will be faith/politcal based. But that's how U2 has always been and that's why I love them--there music is a salve for my heart in a broken world.

This talk of A Man And A Woman reminds me of that rumoured title, A Man's A Man or A Man's Man. Interesting.

And all of U2's albums have been religious (I say Pop is the most religious, even moreso than October), so this one won't be any different at all.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know, all of U2's albums have a spiritual theme in a song or the whole album. This album will be no different from that. I don't think it will resemble anything in the "October" theme, but I'm sure references will be made to the Almighty.

Absolutely. Themes of faith/doubt diffuse all of their records. October is just the most obvious and least subtle. Achtung, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB all have references to faith in one form or another. Whether its the social values of Christianity, faithfulness to one person/God, etc. I also doubt that the record will be as overt as October in this sense.

Back
Top Bottom