What if "Discotheque" had not been the first POP single? (FOR REAL THIS TIME) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What should have been the first POP single if not Discotheque?
Discotheque rocks, bitch! 13 16.05%
Do You Feel Loved 7 8.64%
MOFO 10 12.35%
If God Will Send His Angels 3 3.70%
Staring at the Sun 22 27.16%
Last Night on Earth 7 8.64%
Gone 12 14.81%
Miami 0 0%
The Playboy Mansion 1 1.23%
If You Wear That Velvet Dress 0 0%
Please 5 6.17%
Wake Up Dead Man 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 AM
What if "Discotheque" had not been the first POP single? (FOR REAL THIS TIME)

Well? Here's a thread for some heavy theorizing: what if, instead of the God-awful "Discotheque," U2 had picked something else to kick off POP to the public?

In my worst songs thread, someone (I forget who, sorry) pointed out--correctly, I think--that releasing "Discotheque" as the first single was a bad move. So would it have been different if they had picked something else, and how?

And, in the poll, what should have been the first single from POP if not "Discotheque"?

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:44 PM   #2
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Local Time: 09:43 AM
I like SATS the best, so I picked it. I wish they would have played it electric though on tour.

Old 06-23-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

IGWSHA...Seems more radio-friendly to me.

Good poll, btw!
Old 06-23-2002, 09:49 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I went with SATS. It would have been a better move, but still with the rest of the album and the general sound and image I doubt it would have helped much in the long run with most of the fans who rejected it.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:43 AM
mofo. they were trying to go for dance, and they should've picked a dancier song. granted, i love the discotheque song and video, but it should've been like the second or third single.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:54 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
mofo. they were trying to go for dance, and they should've picked a dancier song. granted, i love the discotheque song and video, but it should've been like the second or third single.
That may have been the only move worse than what they did. I can't understand a Duran Duran fan being into that type of stuff, I was a big Duran Duran fan and Nick was hottest!
Old 06-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I can't understand a Duran Duran fan being into that type of stuff
huh?
Old 06-23-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I voted for "Please." It might have placated those more political U2 fans (smile, guys!).

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:46 PM   #9
Kid A

btw, for those interested, U2 did perform SATS semi-electric at the beginning of PopMart, check out the version from openning night in Las Vegas (of course, they start it and stop because they had the timing fucked up, but managed to get through it on the 2nd try, but soon switched to a much easier acoustic version ever since)
Old 06-24-2002, 12:41 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 02:43 PM
I chose Do You Feel Loved. It's got a pretty rocking beat and guitar to it and a nice catchy chorus. I know it's very close to the song Alien Groove Sensation, but I think it would have been the best choice as an openner to introduce the album to the public and then after a short amount of radio play switch to a different song, like Gone or Last Night on Earth. I still think Discotheque was a good single and should have been a single, but maybe not the first one. I'll bet many or you would feel differently about the song if it didn't have such a bad reputation as the song that ruined POP from the get-go. If it had never even been a single we'd all probably be scratching our heads at why it wasn't. Hindsight is always 20/20. Either way I was pleased by the singles from POP. I personally feel it is one of their strongest records and it could have had 7 singles instead of just 5.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:41 AM   #11
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Discotheque is one of the best tracks on POP
the video was fun

in general people just didn't really like what U2 was doing on most of the POP album
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2002, 04:59 AM   #12
the invisible woman

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Last Night On Earth!!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:08 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Normal

Well.. I love Discotheque a lot, however I think it might have been a better marketing move to release a more rock-oriented single first, then Discotheque. Please would have been a pretty good first single, as would IYWTVD (quiet, sexy, etc.), and IGWSHA. But.. I think Staring at the Sun would be best, so I voted for that. However.. like I said.. I love Discotheque.

a little off topic: it never occurred to me that Pop has 2 somewhat similar song titles:

If God Will Send His Angels
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Old 06-24-2002, 06:50 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:43 PM

"Discotheque rocks, bitch!"

but I'm not calling you bitch!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:09 PM   #15
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
in general people just didn't really like what U2 was doing on most of the POP album
exactly

which is why you really can't choose an alternate single. anything else probably would've stunk just as much in the public's eyes.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #16
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:43 PM
indeed
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by christiana
"Discotheque rocks, bitch!"

but I'm not calling you bitch!
Hee hee, thanks.

I was worried I'd get flamed for implying that Discotheque ought not have been the 1st single.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:31 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Hee hee, thanks.

I was worried I'd get flamed for implying that Discotheque ought not have been the 1st single.
With good reason. It takes a lot of balls to say anything against Pop on this board because of the abuse that can follow. We can never really get an accurate representation of what most fans think because a, most fans are not here on this board, and b, most who are here are afraid to say what they really think in fear of flames. You are right, thanks for having the guts to bring this up for discussion. I do think a different first single would have been better but as I stated earlier I don't think it would have made a lot of difference in the long run, the entire album and image was just not going to make it with many fans regardless of the first impression. Oh, and Discotheque does not 'rock' because it is not a rock song. I know you said that because you knew that's what some of them were going to jump in and say. LOL.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:40 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Man...is this endless arguing pro/against POP getting boring or what?

I think this topic is tough to be answered, simply because POP is so diverse, I mean, the songs have so different moods and approaches... I think they described POP (not sure if it was Bono...), saying that it was more like a party for the three first tracks, than it came the hungover...something like that, cant remember exactly. Well, my point is that any choice they could possibly make would be a tough one. Anyways, I voted for Last Night on Earth, something in between the classic rock song and a more dancing one IMO
Old 06-24-2002, 09:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

With good reason. It takes a lot of balls to say anything against Pop on this board because of the abuse that can follow.
I love POP. It's my third-favorite U2 album (1.AB, 2.October). But I do think that Discotheque was a poor choice for their first single off that album. I like it, but I know it turned some of even the most devoted fans off.