What if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shart1780 said:
I find it hilarious how some people on this board get angry if you don't stress the fact that you're merely expressing your opinion. It's as if they're afraid that you're trying to push cold hard facts on them.
the only thing I fear I have is that some people actually start to believe that their own bullcrap comes anywhere close to anything factual
though I won't lose any sleep over it

I also won't lose any sleep over Mercy
though this demo version doesn't do much for me at all

PlaTheGreat said:

:up:

Mercy is the only U2 song I've ever deleted from my library. I heard it once or twice to see the hype and saw nothing special about it.
Instead, for the first time ever, I cared about the lyrics to this song and found them to be something written on Bono's toilet paper while he was...um...you know.
If it were on the new U2 album (which it wouldn't be, they left it out of HTDAAB for a very very very very very good reason, I'd delete it as well. In fact, I'd burn a brand new copy of the new album, sans Mercy just so it would be enjoyable.
And if it was played in concert, I'd step outside for a cigarette.

And I don't even smoke.

I actually checked my music library before I posted in order to refresh my memory, and jeepers, Mercy wasn't there! I can't remember deleting it, but there you go. That just goes to show how forgettable Mercy really is. I'd post that image Headache In A Suitcase used to have of the double-ply Mercy toilet paper but...well... :sad:

The decision to leave Mercy off HTDAAB is the only redeeming thing about "Larry's Veto." Sometimes he's off the mark, but other times, the grumpy drummer's right on the money.

EDIT: In my opinion!!!

Canadiens1160 said:

Those last two lines sound like they slid off the back of a Coldplay B-side.

:madspit:

Mercy has some of Bono's best lyrics...

I know I'm weedkiller honey... and you're sugar
If you're the prosecution... I get away with murder
If you were ice... I'm water
And with your telescope... I can see further
We're binary code... a one and a zero

that's brilliance right there:drool: :drool: :drool:

xaviMF22 said:
I know I'm weedkiller honey... and you're sugar

Definitely one of the stupidest lines ever. It belongs in the league of "freedom has a scent ..." and "heavy as a truck".

AtomicBono said:
am i the only one who still likes mercy?

y'all are just hatin'

I like it, it's not the cure for cancer but it's still pretty decent.

album-worthy atleast.

I like it. It's just that people talk about it like it's the second coming. What's worse, now that it's built up to a "it rocks/it sucks" argument, discussions about it have become about as annoying as those about Pop!

AtomicBono said:
am i the only one who still likes mercy?

y'all are just hatin'

No, you're not. Mercy is overrated and a tad AB-material derivative, but album-worthy.

To answer the question in the first post in this thread :shrug: I hope it makes it but it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't.

It has the most beautiful characterisitic U2 sound espeically from Edge. The chorus is very powerful and the rest of the song is just about perfect, shortening it would ruin it. It is my favourite U2 song since WTSHNN from 1987. It's Bono's best lyrics since I don't know when, anyone who won't admit that it is at least lyrically stellar, is a fool!
"You're gravity searching for the ground....
You're silence seraching for a sound...."

"If you're hungry, baby let me feed it.....If you're heart is full, baby let me bleed it."

"Love is the end of history.....the enemy of Misery.....Love has come again, I am Gone again.
Love is justice, not charty....Love brings with it a clarity. Love has come again, I'm alive again.....alive."
Sublime stuff.

Axver said:

Definitely one of the stupidest lines ever. It belongs in the league of "freedom has a scent ..." and "heavy as a truck".

Please respect what other people say. If you don't agree with it or have a diferent opinion just try to say it in another way. Because you say what you think like that's the absolute truth...

Tyagu_Anaykus said:

Please respect what other people say. If you don't agree with it or have a diferent opinion just try to say it in another way. Because you say what you think like that's the absolute truth...

Is that the call of the "YOU NEED TO QUALIFY EVERY STATEMENT WITH 'IN MY OPINION'" brigade I hear, echoing through this thread?

Axver said:

Is that the call of the "YOU NEED TO QUALIFY EVERY STATEMENT WITH 'IN MY OPINION'" brigade I hear, echoing through this thread?

:yes:

only a few people tote their opinions like their fact on this forum, and I'm not gonna name any names, but it's any of these posters.

IMHOPDFMFSI.

(In my honest opinion, please don't flame me for saying it.)

shart1780 said:
I find it hilarious how some people on this board get angry if you don't stress the fact that you're merely expressing your opinion. It's as if they're afraid that you're trying to push cold hard facts on them.

Music is like math. Everything is cold hard facts.

the tourist said:

Music is like math. Everything is cold hard facts.

Yeah, like, for instance:

"AB is the best album ever. Why? Because I said so. Anyone who says any different is a dimwit who knows zilch about music.

Oh yeah...IMHO. :tongue: "

Seriously, I agree that you shouldn't have to put IMHO after every post. That's totally pointless. Everything posted here (besides news) is opinion, so get over it. Keep that in mind, and you'll be a lot happier.

Once again however, this thread is going off the rails, and deserves to be :lock:.

This forum needs some serious counseling. :|

I actually wasn't gonna close this thread yet, but...ya know...I looked on the second page of the forum, and we have this thread that holds discussion regarding "Mercy" being on the next album. Therefore, I'm going to close this thread...and if people want to continue discussion on that topic, that thread can be bumped.

Please don't wreck it though, folks. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom