What happened to Adam on Vertigo tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I saw U23D for the 2nd time this weekend, and the one thing I really noticed was how into it Adam was. But that can be said about the whole tour. He was dancing sometimes, walking out to the b-stages, shaking hands with the audience, really getting into it. He used to be this way in the early 80s, but from I'd say Joshua Tree on he became very stoic while onstage. On most of the Elevation shows you watch, he looks almost bored.

What do you all think happened to provoke this change?

I don't know, but I really noticed it throughout the Vertigo tour. I remember he used to move around a little in the early 80s, and he did that strange Adam jig during JT, just kind of moving back and forth- check out the outro of WOWY from R&H. However, he didn't do more than that on JT, Lovetown, became stationary around Zoo TV, only thing interesting was his attire on popmart, and I agree about elevation. Edge commented on it in an interview as well, saying Adam has really become a performer on this tour. I guess we could specualte- he was one of the biggest on the idea that the bomb had some songs that really were a kick back to their early days, maybe that had something to do with how he got into the shows. Also, maybe he saw how well Bono and Edge interacted on the ramps during elevation and thought he would give it a try himself. Or, more likely as we all know, it is just Adam being Adam!! He has always been a cool, yet quirky character for sure. Either way, I like it, really gives him a more prominent role in the band and puts his bass playing where it should be- right in the spotlight. I know people dump on him alot as a bassist, but where would Streets, Bad, WOWY, Gloria, COBL, Vertigo, SBS, Bullet, Lemon, all of AB and countless other U2 classics past and present be without the bass lines? People say he can not play-- I think if he could not play the critics and the record industry would have figured that out around 1980! Not all of his lines are easy either, it takes ability, he wrote the WOWY bass.

I don't know what got into him this tour? He is just loving stage life these days I guess.

There were early signs of "Vertigo" Adam on the Popmart tour? Just take a look at Mysterious Ways on the Mexico Popmart :wink:

The_acrobat said:
I saw U23D for the 2nd time this weekend, and the one thing I really noticed was how into it Adam was. But that can be said about the whole tour. He was dancing sometimes, walking out to the b-stages, shaking hands with the audience, really getting into it. He used to be this way in the early 80s, but from I'd say Joshua Tree on he became very stoic while onstage. On most of the Elevation shows you watch, he looks almost bored.

What do you all think happened to provoke this change?

POWERJUICE

I don't remember where I read this, it was early on during the tour planning, but Adam (or maybe it was one of the techs) said that they'd gotten some new earpiece monitor technology for Vertigo that worked a lot better for Adam. It used to be just a click track, and now it's able to give him a full balanced feed that's comfortable for him.

I think on previous tours he was stuck there on the stage, right near Larry, so he could make sure to stay in sync with him. Maybe these new earpiece monitors have enabled him to wander the stage (and ramps) freely, and that's opened up his live experience...I know one of my favorite moments on Vertigo was when he would come down and join Bono at the very tip of the ellipse during WTSHNN.

Rachel D. said:
He stopped smoking.

Kind of off the topic, but did Adam quit smoking? The last time I saw Adam with a smoke was on the Elevation tour. During "Walk On".

U2387 said:
I don't know, but I really noticed it throughout the Vertigo tour. I remember he used to move around a little in the early 80s, and he did that strange Adam jig during JT, just kind of moving back and forth- check out the outro of WOWY from R&H. However, he didn't do more than that on JT, Lovetown, became stationary around Zoo TV, only thing interesting was his attire on popmart, and I agree about elevation. Edge commented on it in an interview as well, saying Adam has really become a performer on this tour. I guess we could specualte- he was one of the biggest on the idea that the bomb had some songs that really were a kick back to their early days, maybe that had something to do with how he got into the shows. Also, maybe he saw how well Bono and Edge interacted on the ramps during elevation and thought he would give it a try himself. Or, more likely as we all know, it is just Adam being Adam!! He has always been a cool, yet quirky character for sure. Either way, I like it, really gives him a more prominent role in the band and puts his bass playing where it should be- right in the spotlight. I know people dump on him alot as a bassist, but where would Streets, Bad, WOWY, Gloria, COBL, Vertigo, SBS, Bullet, Lemon, all of AB and countless other U2 classics past and present be without the bass lines? People say he can not play-- I think if he could not play the critics and the record industry would have figured that out around 1980! Not all of his lines are easy either, it takes ability, he wrote the WOWY bass.

well, I'd just like to add, it's not exactly what he plays that should be looked at...he should be appreciated more for his musicianship instead of his playing ability...he does more than just play the best, he is a major contributor in the studio as well...most of the people who criticize Adam are just blind, simple as that

back on topic, I think Adam is genuinely more interested in the music now than past years...but yeah I definitely think his control over his drug habits in recent years has helpled him :)

Last edited:
mwheelonh said:
I don't remember where I read this, it was early on during the tour planning, but Adam (or maybe it was one of the techs) said that they'd gotten some new earpiece monitor technology for Vertigo that worked a lot better for Adam. It used to be just a click track, and now it's able to give him a full balanced feed that's comfortable for him.

I think on previous tours he was stuck there on the stage, right near Larry, so he could make sure to stay in sync with him. Maybe these new earpiece monitors have enabled him to wander the stage (and ramps) freely, and that's opened up his live experience...I know one of my favorite moments on Vertigo was when he would come down and join Bono at the very tip of the ellipse during WTSHNN.
I read that too... makes sense to me. I'm so glad, too... my first U2 shows were Vertigo ... the way he was teasing the crowd with his bass were awesome. :lol:

Rob33 said:

coolian has gotta be up for the 'most waste of space used on a thread of the year award...yay
Yet another example of the attitudes around here that try to take over and derail someone else's threads with more high school b.s. :|

Back to the REAL reason for this thread... I've really re-noticed Adam since the Vertigo tour because how prominent his bass work is in 'Vertigo', plus many people here on the forum knew his work more than I did and that opened me up to his best work, for example 'Gloria'. I never used to listen to October.

I wonder if Adam's been more involved in the song writing or something that has provoked him to be so alive during the Vertigo tour. From what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, but at the infancy of later albums, haven't Bono and Edge teamed up for songwriting, and Adam and Larry do their rhythm section thing, then were expected to bring work into their sessions? I don't know if it's just me but it seems Adam was featured a little more on HTDAAB and maybe the songs are being built around more bass, and the band working together earlier on.:hmm:

Last edited:
I think Adam's just having more fun with it. :shrug:

The Elevation Tour was an emotional tour, with Bob Hewson dying and then 9/11, and I think Adam felt that the best attitude was to be stoic. It contrasted his ZooTV and Popmart style, which was more laid back in a cool way as opposed to a stoic way.

On Vertigo, he just looks like he's having a lot of fun.

power-juicer-express-jack.jpg

On topic....

He added two new moves, that's what he did.

His (only) old move
The spin around once move

His new moves
- The swishing feet sideways move (stolen from Edge)
- The playing-the-bass-at-your-knees (stolen from high school bands from 8 years ago)

neutral said:

Not anymore.

Can we not totally derail the thread? Yay.

Edit: Nevermind, I looked back and saw the changes your referring to neutral. Thanks for not letting things go to crap around here. Adam finally got his own thread around here, don't want to lose it :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom