what guitar players does edge resemble the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shit... actually I put comments inbetween your links.... but obviously I don't come on Interference enough to know how to do this.....:wink:

I'll check Television on youtoube.....
and by the way, what happened to Pete the drummer, right?

The fellas from the Church have some similar instincts, I'd say. The use of delay, arpeggios, fragmented chords, lushness, fear of wankiness, etc.

I'd agree with Will Sergeant from the Bunnies. Great choice.
Buckingham was an interesting choice but he has a real folky side that Edge doesn't really have & his lead work is quite different.
What about the guitarist from The Fixx, Jamie West-Oram or Burchill from Simple Minds?

Last edited:
:eyebrow: Ahh.....NONE! Edge Is Edge! And I like it just like That!! i just would not want to ever see Edge copy someone else. He's just way too talented for that!

socceroo said:

What about the guitarist from The Fixx, Jamie West-Oram or Burchill from Simple Minds?

Charlie Burchil would be my choice too, and I know Edge was influenced from Charlies swirling guitar style early on

Tom Verlaine - Television -mid to late 70's
Keith Levene - Public Image Limited -late '70's
John McGeoch - Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine -late 70's-early 80's
Will Sergeant - Echo and the Bunnymen -early '80's

The Edge was definately influenced by Verlaine and Levene, and McGeoch and Sergeant were likely, like Edge, influenced by those two so they tended to sound like him also.

The Edge just took it slightly beyond what those original innovators created. But he definately wasn't the first to get away from the bluesy sound of classic rock and be more a part of the song rather than a virtuoso.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom