What got you into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard some of their stuff on the radio around the time ATYCLB was released and was interested, but it wasn't until I saw them perform Hands at the Oscars that I became really interested. I remember being so pissed off that they didn't win just based on their performance (hadn't even heard the song before that)! I was in university (otherwise know as penniless) at the time, so I didn't get any albums right away, but stayed interested. Then this past September I kept telling everyone within hearing distance how much I wanted the Slane Castle DVD :drool: for my birthday, and sure enough someone listened. That was it...I was hooked for life. I have since gone broke buying every album, DVD, video, single, book, etc. that I can get my hands on. And yes, my family do think I'm crazy. That's why I like hanging out here so much...makes me feel normal!:wink:

I love those threads even if they keep coming back every two months:wink:

For me it was by steps. I've always liked U2 as far as I can remember, but didn't get any of their CD for a while because when I was younger I sort of thought I wasn't 'ready', that there was something I could not yet understand in their music.

Sometimes in 1995, I heard WOWY on the radio. It was not the first time, but I had never paid close attention to it before. By the end of the song I was in a state of shock, I literally felt like I had had a 'revelation'. I felt like this song was everything I had always wanted in music. I was the *perfect* song.

Now the weird thing is that I decided NOT to get JT. For some reason I wanted WOWY to be my special song and I was afraid that being able to listen to it all the time would ruin the effect. So for TWO YEARS I didn't get JT and would enter in a total trance whenever I heard WOWY unexpectedly, on the radio or at a friend's house.

Then in 97 I heard the entire PopMart Sarajevo show on the radio, and I was once again in complete awe. I remember coming to the living room and telling my Mom with tears in my eyes that I HAD to see U2 live. Luckily for me they were coming the next month and they had just released some extra tickets. So I bought JT, AB, War and Pop, went to the concert, and my life hasn't been the same ever since.

I just couldn't believe I had waited so long to become a U2 fan. It was there the whole time, inside of me, but I couldn't see it until I was 17.

Was sitting in my room one night back in my old town in Iowa...this would've been sometime during the winter of 2001/2002, back when I was 17 years old. I was listening to this classic rock station. All of a sudden, the song "Angel Of Harlem" comes on. I'd heard most of U2's big hits throughout my life (and I'd always liked those songs), but I'd never heard this one before. I fell in love with the song immediately, and after hearing it a few more times throughout the next few months, I decided to put it on a mix CD I was making, along with a few other U2 songs I liked (the others being "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", and "Pride"). And one day, while I was listening to that CD, when those songs all came up, something just clicked. "Angel Of Harlem" remains my favorite U2 song because of its role in helping me get into these guys.

That was in May of 2002. The following month, I saw the "Elevation: Boston" concert on TV, loved everything I heard during that show, and went searching for those songs, along with various other ones. And the month after that my family went to Sioux City one day to do some shopping, and I brought The Joshua Tree-first album by the band that I ever got, which is the main reason why it's my favorite (the other being that it's just such a classic album and has a lot of great songs). And the rest was history...I've been hooked on this band ever since.

Angela

Last edited:
In England they have a Pop Idol style programme by the BBC called Fame Academy and i didn't normally watch it but was watching it once randomly and this guy came on and did a short version of WOWY. he sang it really badly but i realised how good the song itself was. this was about 2 and a half years ago. so i asked my parents to get me U2's best of 1980-90 for xmas. then a few weeks later they released Electrical storm and i loved that so i asked for the 90's 'best of' as well.

found out that the band itself was quite special because i'd hardly heard of any of the songs on either CD's save for a few big hits, yet i liked every single song. and so the obsession began.......

An illegal greatest hits album my brother bought on a market in Moscow in 1994 when we were visiting friends over there.

A buddy of mine got me into U2. Back in 1988 whenever we'd go on a roadtrip golfing (probably 4 times a week) he'd play the josha tree. It was incredible, he knew so much about the band and the music it was so intresting. The music was brilliant and i was fast becoming a fan.

Then when the movie R&H came out i was hooked, we'd be at the late night showing everynight for the first month that it was out! :drool: :drool:

It's a BEAUTIFUL DAY! :wink:
It all started when I heard BD in 2000! I loved it and as I hate single-cds I bought ATYCLB. Loved it as well and two months later I had every U2 record!

I was downloading some music DVD's and thought U2 would be cool too, it was the Slane Castle concert, and it was amazing! Then I started to get everything from U2 ;)

What hoohed me???
DJERDAP, ždrig man!!! we were on a 2-week german class in Graz, and someone had both the best ofs so i always turned up on WOWY and One. Other things to listen were Apocalyptica and Good Charlotte. Djerdap said that he has all u2 stuff and i asked him and he recorded it to me.
I started listening. I culminated on Achtung Baby!!:drool:
THANKS DJERDAP:bow: I owe you a beer.

Just say when and we know where!!

Wow, I feel like "Grandpa" here...I first discovered U2 in 1980 when I was checking out a local record store here in Winnipeg (Records On Wheels) - those were the days that every Saturday they had at least a dozen new releases (LP's and 12"'s) up on the wall. This album caught my eye - I thought the name of the band was "Boy" - I bought the album, loved it and the rest is history!!!!

i was a huge savage garden fan at one time :reject:
then in an interview i read the lead singer, darren hayes was a huge fan of U2, so downloaded a couple of songs (stay, one, pride, hold me, thrill... and beautiful day were instant favorites) then i went out and bought ATYCLB. then achtung. then JT. then POP (which rocks!!). and so on and so forth...

i dont listen to savage garden so much anymore. good old days.:wink:

You should hide your head in shame for listening to Savage Garden...whatever happened to them anyways...I see Darren Hayes is making a solo career but what about the others?

I'm fairly shocked at the relative recentness of the fandom in here...for me (and a lot of others who probably don't wander onto fan websites) it was the whole 1-2 punch of "War" and "Under a Blood Red Sky", along with having sen the video for "Gloria" at the dawn of the MTV era. I remember liking "Gloria" well enough, but REALLY digging the what came next. From then on, every album's release became an event. In the spring of 1987, it seemed as if the entire world was waiting for "The Joshua Tree". It was like U2's time to step up to the plate and claim the throne, which they did. It was one of those rare and beautiful moments where results met or even exceeded expectations. What an awesome time to be a U2 fan. That album came along at a point in my life when it was just meant to be. I'll never forget it.

It was the 'Gloria' video for me. The beauty of the music, contrasting with the ugliness of the place, was breathtaking. My sister remembers me grabbing her by the shoulders and saying "you've GOT to see this band!"

It was early one morning right about this time of year back in 1987 when this unbelievably beautiful song came on the radio. I had never heard anything like it before in my entire life. I think the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. At the end of the song the DJ said it was the new U2 single, With or Without You.

Back in 87, I remember seeing the Time magazine issue featuring U2 on the cover with the headline "Rock's Hottest Ticket". WOWY was already being played on heavy rotation on the radio but it hadn't grabbed me yet. But reading the article in Time really sparked an interest for me in the band and soon after, ISHFWILF was released and I got a copy of the Joshua Tree from a friend. I've been hooked every since.

My intro to U2 was the New Years Day video. I was about 10 at the time, and I had this fascination with war (at the time, my grandfather was educating me on WWII). The imagery from that video resonated with me, and the song was awesome. I've been hooked ever since.

1980... I was 19... A friend introduced me with a bootleg version of 'Boy'... I can still recall the feeling when listening to I will Follow and Out of Control that first time! They still take me back and send chills up my spine ... :crazy:

Hey Greg, who was that? Holy S*$t they were good! Pass me another beer... :drunk:

My boyfriend from when I was 14 got me hooked on U2. Sadly were no longer together, I don't even think he's a fan anymore. Oh well I'm still a fan!

Hi!

Well this may sound a little weird.....but basically I've been a Country and early Rock n Roll fan......well one day I was looking at CDs and at the very front of a row of Rock CDs there was this boy with piercing eyes with a nuclear sky behind him and I bought the CD on that instinct which led me to U2's music and I'v been a fan ever since. That's why you'll see that pix on each of my postings...just in case anyone was wondering why the boy appears.

There is a special attraction that draws me to children's eyes......for the eyes say so much.

So that's why I'm here at Interference.

carol
wizard2c

:|

My Dad raised me with them. He says I used to grab the side of a shelf in our old basement when I first leaned to stand, and bob up and down to Where The Streets Have No Name. It's still my favourite song ever...

all_i_want said:
i was a huge savage garden fan at one time :reject:
then in an interview i read the lead singer, darren hayes was a huge fan of U2, so downloaded a couple of songs (stay, one, pride, hold me, thrill... and beautiful day were instant favorites) then i went out and bought ATYCLB. then achtung. then JT. then POP (which rocks!!). and so on and so forth...

i dont listen to savage garden so much anymore. good old days.:wink:

I always thought Savage Garden and Sound Garden should switch names. Savage Garden sounds so hardcore, man :tongue:

I always knew who U2 were, remember hearing and seeing them everywhere during 1987, but when R&H came out in 1988, my neighbor was a huge U2 fan and so I went with her to see it. I was 13. I became hooked and haven't looked back since then.

It is great to see so many young fans! U2 is amazing to have lasted so long on done so much musically. I was 13 & playing junior tennis tournaments, which meant occasional road trips. I would always bring my Pink Floyd tapes and my Walkman. One of my tennis buddies switched with me, giving me the Wide Awake in America EP, which I never gave back. I still have it today, and it has no trace of print on it.

I immediately got Boy, October, & War. Started collecting bootlegs at age 16. I have saved all those tapes from the "early days". I know it sounds corny, but U2 have been the soundtrack to my life, and it's amazing that so much of their work came out at just the right time for me...with the most amazing coincidence being ATYCLB speaking to me directly, 16 or 17 years after Bad seemed to speak to me directly, too.

I may not see U2 on this tour for the first time in a long, long time due to health reasons...I can only hope something works out for the 3rd leg. Regardless, I feel blessed to have been to so many shows and to have so much great music at my disposal.

Back
Top Bottom