What first got you into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well i feel kind of ashamed about it now, but i firstly got into u2 when I watched on tv a video about -L-E-VA-TION!
well i was a teen, and it was absolutely mind-blowing for me...
then i appreciate them more and more when i discovered their "social side"..
anyho i think that ATYCLB's importance in renewing the fandom has been quite underrated... how comes that men in their 40s manage to get the interest in a 17 years old boy?
bye!:wink:

It had to be the day, I took ATYCLB out of my dad's cd collection, and I feel in love with. I got into 3 bands from that collection, and they were all Irish :wink:

isn't anyone going to answer my question - again did someone in U2 say the give you 2 words thing?

The Unforgetable Fire (on vinyl) :drool:

I was into some really bad 80s metal at the time and it totally turned around my musical taste . After UF, I bought all of their previous albums and became a loyal fan. That was early 1985!

I'm almost envious of new fans cause you have this great history of U2 music to catch up on!

1984 i watched them on nickelodeon showing the "under a blood red sky " concert. i was 11 and then i was hooked. been hardcore ever since !!!!

I remember really liking Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me when I went to see Batman Forever and I also liked the remixed dance version of Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Then I got into Oasis and I remember both of the Gallaghers saying how much they admired U2 and they started hanging around with each other. I thought both Bono end Edge seemed to be nice because they were supportive of this new band at the time.

It wasn't until I borrowed Pop and Achtung Baby a year latter that I actually got into their music. I just thought that not only these two albums were different, but from what I heard on the radio of their earlier stuff, they seemed to be a band who are willing to experiment with different musical genre's. To be honest I thought they were better than Oasis (who were my absolute favourite's up until then).

Staring At The Sun I remember being a song I loved intantly

I liked I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR and WITH OR WITHOUT YOU when I was younger, but when I first heard THE FLY and MYSTERIOUS WAYS I wasnt' sure what to think.

But then, oh my, then ONE came along and I grabbed the record and haven't stopped listening ever since. Achtung Baby is still my fav album, but I love them all for their own reasons.

Mysterious Ways made me like their music

Achtung Baby made me a fan

Zoo TV blew me away.

One spring morning in 1987 at the airfield we were waitinig to start our daily activites (i was glider pilot at that time) and sudenlly i heard on radio I Still Havent Found what Im Looking For - live from Ratlle and Hum album and fall in love.

Later those days went through whole Joshua Tree and first disovered Adams base lines in WOWU and pumping ritham in WTSHNN. Love it. I was 16.

The rest is History.:drool:

Although I had been a fan of U2 since the mid-80's when I was a teen, I didn't become a big time fan of U2 until the early 90's. I was working in a college radio station in the early 90's and one day I came in and there was a small crowd of people checking out the new cd that had just arrived.. it was U2's 'Achtung Baby'. The Program Director popped it in and, playing quite loudly, the first few notes of Zoo Station buzzed out over the speakers and everyone just looked stunned and I felt actual chills go up and down my spine.. as the cd kept playing on and I heard this unbelievably awesome array of sounds pulsing out thorugh the room, I knew I was witnessing true greatness. That was the day and the moment that I became hooked on U2.

Hearing a clip of "Hold Me Thrill Me..." on TV in 1996 at the age of 11...

[and then having my older cousin look for it on his huge record collection, unsuccessfully...]

I used to tease BAW all the time about her obsession. I liked U2 but never really paid attention specifically to them. I like a variety of music. She got me hooked with ATYCLB. The songs were appropriate for me at a time in my life when I needed to really hear some of those lyrics. I guess that's why it will also be my favorite album. And little by little, she kept expanding my songlist and here I am. :D

played a little beautiful day, new year's day, and vertigo on my bass at band practice earlier...does that count? hehe

Hearing "Achtung Baby" for the first time shook up my world. Then finding out lyrics in some of the songs were straight from the Bible and that the band is a made up of committed Christians turned my world upside down. I've been inspired by their faith and creativity ever since.

My bro bought the U2 Zoo TV in Sydney video. I was only about 7 or 8 when it came out, but when I was watching it, I was just amazed at how familiar and awesome all the songs were to me. That was the catalyst.

First, when Bono went to Africa with Paul O'Neil. I saw a film clip of African children singing, "Still Haven't Found" and Bono joined in with them. I was very impressed by his activism and his joie de vivre.

I never bought an album until HTDAAB, which I heard about on NPR and then saw the Apple commercial. Then I bought the two Best ofs. The first time I heard New Year's Day was actually on New Year's Day last year, driving to a brunch. Gave me chills.

So I'm a very very late comer to the band, and am still making discoveries the rest of you all made long ago.

My best friend's roommate in college was a big U2 fan. They and some other buddies saw the Joshua Tree tour at Joe Louis Arena, but I wasn't able to go with them.

New Year's Day was my favorite song until Streets came out. Watching the video of them on top of that building in LA while the police tried to shut them down will always stick with me.

I was a casual fan at the time, but that changed with Achtung Baby. That was their first album I really got into. Then I went to see them in concert at the Pontiac Silverdome. We had 20th row main floor and it was the most incredible sensory experience I've ever witnessed. I've been a U2 diehard ever since.

Their music just keeps getting better. I think the last two albums are as good as anything they've ever done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom