What first got you into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been asked here a few times before but I'm happy to repeat myself, that even though I'd heard of U2, I'd seen their performance on Live Aid in 1985, but it wasn't until one autumn night in 1988, while watching one of the very rare pop music shows here in Finland, when U2s With or Without You video came on and I was immeadiately captivated by the singer and the music! And I haven't looked back!! :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

You're totally dating yourself...but take solace, alas I am older than even you!!

:lol:

Those were the days though, weren't they? :yes:

Yes they were Reg..... MTV actually played music and you can go see a concert for $12.00. It was a much simpler time and you have to admit it was great growing up in the eighties.

In the year of 1989 my relative gave me an old audio cassette of Under a blood red sky and since than I started to be amazed with the music of U2 (and not just with their music).

I got into them straight away from when the first single came out really but it was my brother who bought that ep with i will follow, etc and Edge's guitar just sounded amazing :rockon: :faint:

YBORCITYOBL said:

Yes they were Reg..... MTV actually played music and you can go see a concert for $12.00. It was a much simpler time and you have to admit it was great growing up in the eighties.

Yes, the 80's were great! I have a ticket from the Joshua Tree tour....$24.50! And I thought that was expensive!!! :lol:

1. Gloria video intrigued me. Bought nothing.
2. War album cover intrigued me. Bought War.
3. Didn't like War album. Ignored it for over a year.
4. Red Rocks videos saturated MTV. Wow. Bought Blood Red Sky
5. Revisted War album; understood War album.
6. LOVED War album.
7. Hook, line, sinker.

Now I own everything and have seen them live, what, 11 times?

DreamoutLoud13

Love how your picture by your name says Bono has taken over your brain, send help. Haha!!!!!!!!!!! Alot of ppl I am around, think the same thing especially my mom and bf.

FitzChivalry said:
but my love hasn't peaked yet, and that's an exciting thing.
indeed! =)

as for me, i heard my uncle and my aunt playing Joshua Tree // Unforgettable Fire cuz they are huge fanatics, and it was some AMAZING music, but i didnt really start getting obsessed with U2 enough to go on forums until 2 years ago. post Walk On/pre HTDAAB and all that.
One look/listen at the Edge, and that's it. I was a U2 fan.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I've been a bit of lurker, but I had to reply.

I got into U2 when I was about 5(seriously). I saw the video for "I Still Haven't Found..." on MTV(back when a
child could actually watch MTV) and I was hooked.

My older cousin sort of nurtured this. She was a teenager,and my baby-sitter, and "The Joshua Tree" was pretty much all she listened to. The rest, as they say, is history!

I remember my Dad had 'The Joshua Tree' on tape he played that tape non-stop. I was really little and I just remember when I heard the first 3 songs off JT I knew this was good music. When 'ATYCLB' came out I was about 14 or 15 and I saw the "Live In Boston" special on Fox Family and I just really understood how and why they were and still are the greatest band ever. My first CD though oddly enough was 'Best Of 1980-1990'.

So really for me it was 'The Joshua Tree' that go me hooked but when 'ATYCLB' came out I became a huge fan. :wink:

when i was in fourth grade i wanted to get POP because i like "staring." i passed. then four years later i heard that they were coming for elevation so i got ATYCLB. the hype and reviews of the show got me to by AB, then POP, etc.

It's all about the music, and how it makes me feel. A song can take me back to a specific moment in time, good and bad. But for me, if I were to lose the music it would be very very devastating to my life. You can throw sticks and stones, call me names, make faces, gossip, beg, borrow and steal from me but don't ever take the music from me.

the death of my mother in 1987 and the strength i gained from Joshua Tree. sounds stupid i know but its all i listened to, i then got some singles and heard the b sides, bought all their earlier stuff and never looked back.

CKONE said:
the death of my mother in 1987 and the strength i gained from Joshua Tree. sounds stupid i know but its all i listened to, i then got some singles and heard the b sides, bought all their earlier stuff and never looked back.

how to make friends and stop a thread! soz:lock:

Bevin said:
Hello everyone! I've been a bit of lurker, but I had to reply.
:wave: Hi Bevin!

CKONE said:

I don't think that sounds stupid at all :hug:

I heard a contestant on a BBC reality progamme called Fame Academy do a really bad version of WOWY but it reminded me how good the song was so i decided to get the Best Of 1980-1990. Also the song Electrical Storm had just come out at around the same time so i got the 1990's Best Of too.

and that was that really!

Well I actually liked Bono and the Edge before I got into their music. In 1996 when I first got into Oasis and rock music in general. I thought Bono and Edge were both very supportive of Oasis.

It wasn't unitl a year latter when I listened to Pop and AB, that I actually got into the music

I never really knew anything about U2 until about 2 years ago when I saw the Vertigo Ipod commercial and I kept catching parts of the Vertigo music video on TV and I thought it was an amazing song. I went on U2.com and they had some kind of game you could play and it would play Vertigo in the background. From the first time I heard the whole song I was hooked and now I own HTDAAB, ATYCLB, Pop, AB, UF, Best of 1990-2000, and R&H. I also have burned copies of all their other albums and I intend to acutually buy the real albums pretty soon. I am one from the Vertigo generation. :wink:

I was about... 8 i believe.. And i was living in mexico city. I saw their video for "lemon" and fell in love with it.. later i fell in love with "numb"... then i listenend to "achtung baby" and loved it (been my fav album ever since).... then i started getting into everything else :)

It was some years ago when I heard Miami(Pop) in a recrod store. I went to the record saler and he told me that it was U2. Since then I have listen to them.

Back
Top Bottom