What fans of which bands do you absolutely want to smack for likeing that band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by JimmyChicken:
Please explain to incompetent people such as myself, how Bad is song about drugs. I fail to clearly understand.

Bad is a song about a best friend of Bono's who died of a heroine overdose.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Great thread Jess.

Alot of country fans..like Garth Brooks fans..umm-need a slap..I will let the country chick fans slide though.
Metalheads-theyre living in a time-warp...Need a bigger slap.
Most Hiphop and Pop fans need a slap..except the chicks always gotta let em slide.

Jess are you back in Az.?

Yeah the country guys need a smack an the girls a good spankin.

I will be back in AZ this Wednesday or Thursday if i get over this cold i have.(think i'll go anyways) Be best if you come over after Sunday after my mom leaves town.

Hello Angel-
I still just DONT get it esp after meeting you..the MM thang..oh well ya little deviant..

Yes Jess- I think we should slap the male fans and spank the female fans of dumbass music.

Db9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 01-07-2002).]

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Hello Angel-
I still just DONT get it esp after meeting you..the MM thang..oh well ya little deviant..

Yes Jess- I think we should slap the male fans and spank the female fans of dumbass music.

Db9

Lovely Db9,

Some of us just ain't what we seem
wink.gif

and I try not to put across things in person from my past that drove me to listen to MM. I love industrial music, and the Goth scene, and so it was a perfect fit for me a few years ago. Now, it's not really a lifestyle anymore, but musically, I still listen to MM's older records once in awhile if I feel like jammin!
wink.gif
I guess for me, having personal relations with his friends, bandmates, girlfriends, etc., painted a deeper picture of him for me. I knew firsthand what he was about, and what he wasn't about. It's all subjective, and I can totally see why people don't like him.
smile.gif

Hmmm......I would have to say those psychotically obsessed Tori Amos fans. Not Tori Amos fans in general mind you, just the ones that worship her like a goddess and hang on her every word. They can be a little scary.

What bonochick said (and nellie on the same lines) to each thier own. If soe fans of one band don't like U2 well then, more for us, right?
wink.gif

If any one band taught me anything, U2 taught me respect for other kinds of music. I'm actually quite surprised to see the amount of rap and country and other genres hatred not just in here but in other threads in the past.

Everything I've listened to pretty much has its roots in U2. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have listened to the Clash, Ramones, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Bob Dylan, David Bowie and even the Sex Pistols. All those bands have given me a taste for many bands who fit the punk bill to bands who have the metal tag slapped on them.

When U2 explored their musical horizons with Rattle and Hum, they introduced to me BB King - who then introduced me to Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter and Ry Cooder and more. When Bono belted out his ballad tributing Lady Day, that spawned an interest in Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and other jazz greats like Coltrane and Miles Davis.

When U2 robbed elbows with Frank Sinatra, I decided to check out Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, and Jimmy Durante to see what it was all about.

When I got word of U2 listening to industrial music like Kraftwerk and Einsturzende Neubauten to help the inspire the works of Achtung Baby, I wanted to check out Kraftwerk, KMFDM, and other industrial bands. This gave way to a certain fondness for feet to the floor stomping industrial bands as well as their musical step-sisters: goth music.

When Adam needed inspiration to groove to working in Achtung Baby, he turned to hip-hop and reggae. In it I found a wealth of musical greatness that ranged from Public Enemy, who then introduced me to Boogie Down Productions, the Jungle Brothers, Roots - who then made way so that today I can enjoy quality rap/hip hop that's intelligent like Jurassic 5 and Dilated Peeples. And reggae greats like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh just to nae a couple of reggae artists.

When I heard The Wanderer off Zooropa, I decided to check out Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, and other noncmmerical-overly-hyped-pop-cross-over country.

When I heard Passengers and later POP I went right out and began digging into a new genre: electronic music. Diss it all you want and call most of it dancefloor fluff, but a lot of it does have its roots in old school hip-hop which has it's roots in the blues, which has its roots in minstrel and folk. As for ambient music, it's roots lay in old old stuff you might never heard called musique concret, or Pink Floyd but even moreso in Brian Eno, who practically pioneered electronic music and put it on the map

All music can transcend boundaries, and it's not fair to paint all genres with the same brushstrokes we paint the crap we see on MTV. Like many kinds of music we already know that it can take some serious digging through the shit before we find music that's worthy to our ears.

As a side note, I have frequented many messageboards related to all genres I mentioned above. (I am the Queen Lurker, y'know!
wink.gif
) From jazz to hip-hop, to electronic to country. You have your run of the mill loud mouths who are quick to judge anything and anyone that doesn't comprise their favorite band, but for the most part everyone at least respects U2 and what they have inspired throughout the years. And they respect U2 for introducing their fans to the beauty in all kinds of music.

Not all music is great, as many genres have spawned crappy acts that don't have the staying power that a band like U2 has. But look at it this way: The Creeds and POD's and like bands mentioned here have their roots somewhere. No? Boybands and girlie bands don't apply.
wink.gif
We KNOW they're bad...

Like the shitty bands out there we have to sift through, we should be the better men and women who turn the other cheek when "our" U2 are blasted.

Just my long winded thoughts.

very unaccepting of other people, and their likes/disklikes...

just because you like u2, doesn't mean you have the best taste in music, or may critize others, or atleast with any merit.

there are people that dont enjoy ANY music at all... now thats sad.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom