What exactly is happening in this video? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
How can you tell Larry was angry? His back was turned the whole clip.
Psh, when is Larry not angry?

Quote:
Anyway, it's Bono's fault for engaging in this kind of celebrity worship. The whole scene during "With or Without" you by encouraging this teenage girl to think of him as some fantasy boyfriend is sick and unhealthy. It's like, "I know you're dreary life doesn't allow you much fun with the schlepp you're likely to get, so here's a taste of what you really want." Perhaps he hasn't thought it through but I'd be really pissed if my girlfriend really wanted to snuggle up with anyone else including Bono. He shouldn't encourage this sort of "play". It's inappropriate for encouraging celebrity worship and thinking of him as something desirable on a romantic level, instead of just someone whose music fans like. It's not "down to earth at all."
What's wrong with experiencing a fantasy? I'd love to have a little cuddle with Bono, onstage or off. That doesn't mean I'd be fantasizing about being his girlfriend, it just means I'd be enjoying his touch.

U2 (and perhaps especially Bono) treat their fans well because they know what it's like to be fans. If you're a fan of someone, you want to be near them, be noticed by them, talk to them. This represents itself in different ways. I'm a fan of certain elderly authors (the oldest of which is old enough to be my grandfather), and I'd certainly love to sit down and chat with him about his books. Is that celebrity worship?

When you're physically attracted to the celebrities in question (rather than just intellectually attracted), you want to be physically near them, to touch them and admire them. It's not necessarily sexual, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't see anything wrong with Bono allowing it, because he knows he's not just making some girl's day, he's making her life. He's giving her a memory she'll be able to hold on to and look back on fondly for years and years.

And as for not wanting your girlfriend cuddling up to Bono? That's your business. Not all men would be bothered by it, and not all men are (I recall a photo of Bono holding a sign he'd plucked from the audience: 'Bono, please touch my wife!'), because these men understand they're allowing the woman they love to have a little extra thrill, and are not threatened by it. Cuddling up to Bono is not going to make a girl love her boyfriend/husband any less. And if the tables were turned and my boyfriend wanted to have a cuddle with Shakira or something... well fine. It's just a cuddle, it's not like he's running off and eloping.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
Psh, when is Larry not angry?

What's wrong with experiencing a fantasy? I'd love to have a little cuddle with Bono, onstage or off. That doesn't mean I'd be fantasizing about being his girlfriend, it just means I'd be enjoying his touch.

U2 (and perhaps especially Bono) treat their fans well because they know what it's like to be fans. If you're a fan of someone, you want to be near them, be noticed by them, talk to them. This represents itself in different ways. I'm a fan of certain elderly authors (the oldest of which is old enough to be my grandfather), and I'd certainly love to sit down and chat with him about his books. Is that celebrity worship?

When you're physically attracted to the celebrities in question (rather than just intellectually attracted), you want to be physically near them, to touch them and admire them. It's not necessarily sexual, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't see anything wrong with Bono allowing it, because he knows he's not just making some girl's day, he's making her life. He's giving her a memory she'll be able to hold on to and look back on fondly for years and years.

And as for not wanting your girlfriend cuddling up to Bono? That's your business. Not all men would be bothered by it, and not all men are (I recall a photo of Bono holding a sign he'd plucked from the audience: 'Bono, please touch my wife!'), because these men understand they're allowing the woman they love to have a little extra thrill, and are not threatened by it. Cuddling up to Bono is not going to make a girl love her boyfriend/husband any less. And if the tables were turned and my boyfriend wanted to have a cuddle with Shakira or something... well fine. It's just a cuddle, it's not like he's running off and eloping.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
I think Larry looked more pissed than Bono did. Bono looked frustrated but did the right thing with the fan....I suppose there are those who want to take things too far and that's just tacky. Good for Bono handling it as he did. She was probably a drunken horney skank anyway, rubbing herself and her hands all over him. Yuck.
Larry clearly wanted to laugh. Unfortunately, the technology for audio-animatronic characters had not yet reached that level of sophistication. Maybe on the next tour.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Seidman View Post
I bet Adam was thinking "I'd do her"
I thought Adam was gonna go Keith Richards on her:

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
How can you tell Larry was angry? His back was turned the whole clip.

Anyway, it's Bono's fault for engaging in this kind of celebrity worship. The whole scene during "With or Without" you by encouraging this teenage girl to think of him as some fantasy boyfriend is sick and unhealthy. It's like, "I know you're dreary life doesn't allow you much fun with the schlepp you're likely to get, so here's a taste of what you really want." Perhaps he hasn't thought it through but I'd be really pissed if my girlfriend really wanted to snuggle up with anyone else including Bono. He shouldn't encourage this sort of "play". It's inappropriate for encouraging celebrity worship and thinking of him as something desirable on a romantic level, instead of just someone whose music fans like. It's not "down to earth at all."
But what if it was Christ Carter?

Seriously... what an overreaction, it's a rock show, it's all about fantasy, nothing is suppose to be down to earth at a rock show!!! You sound a little insecure if you'd be upset your girlfriend danced with another guy.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #21
War Child

It looks like her right hand went a bit south of the border toward the beginning. You can see Bono pull her arms back up and clip them around his waist with his elbows. Toward the end, I think it's pretty clear that she's asking for a kiss.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #22
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 06:35 PM
we need a :shudder: smilie ipso pronto - i found that excruciating to watch

and to DOL13
Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:35 AM

Quote:

I love this thread - thanks for the memories.

I remember seeing this clip during the Vertigo Tour and I really was more interested in Larry's expression than Bono's.

I bet he told Bono offstage "I could have told you so !"
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
No Adam was thinking "Hey!!! I did her last night"
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carek1230 View Post
She was probably a drunken horney skank anyway, rubbing herself and her hands all over him. Yuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
nice. drunk horny hot skanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
Agreed, plus she was pretty hot for a skank.
Okay, not that I'm going to condone what the girl did, since the video depicts some inappropriate behavior...but don't you think you're being a little harsh? Yeah, maybe she was drunk, maybe she was over-excited, maybe both...but do you really need to label her as a skank based on one occasion of poor judgement?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman View Post
No Adam was thinking "Hey!!! I did her last night"
Comments like that really aren't appropriate.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonochick View Post
Comments like that really aren't appropriate.
They aren't... they're high-larious! Boom-cha!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #27
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
They aren't... they're high-larious! Boom-cha!
Fine, that is your opinion. But we have rules here, and we view comments like that as being inappropriate.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

FYI i wasn't being harsh towards the girl -i just thought it was harsh and unfair to call her a "horny skank" so i threw the 'hot' and drooly smile on there to show my appreciation for hot girls groping

Tags
yahweh