what does everyone think of the quote by edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
"The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," guitarist the Edge told Rolling Stone. "I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

is this the end of U2?, is this the closest to an official statement we are ever going to get?

Zoomerang96 said:
i imagine that quote came after zootv?
nope, was an article in rolling stone magazine regarding the U.S. reaction to the vertigo tour

Well, this isolated statement sure sounds like Edge is announcing the End of U2.

Perhaps he means that this is the end for the American Vertigo Tour--i.e. they finished on a high note and are not planning to come back for Summer stadium dates.

Ahhh good Edge is intimating that they have finally taken it as far as it can go. TIme to let Bono go off and save the world and Larry become an actor and Edge do his soundtrack things and Adam to go partying. U2 have finally reached the end of the road. Great to see them have Achtung Baby in the top 10 all time albums in Q magazine, to me its number 1 but number 9 not bad., never be topped by U2 or any other band for that matter. Achtung Baby, like it says in the Q mag, an album that has EVERYTHING...very difficult to top perfection!:wink:

Lemonfix said:
Perhaps he means that this is the end for the American Vertigo Tour--i.e. they finished on a high note and are not planning to come back for Summer stadium dates.

I think that is probably the case. Clearly they are still finishing the rest of the Vertigo tour in other areas -- I think it just means the main US dates are over.

And I also can't really see U2 ending touring completely in such a quiet way (barring something unexpected happening, and that is always a possibility). They've always been masterful at promotion and I can't honestly see them letting a great oppourtunity such as a farewell tour pass without exploiting it.

So I think there is at least one more major tour in the old boys yet. :)

Lemonfix said:

:up: That's my impression, as well. If Edge had indicated that the band were done in any way, the reporter would have probed further and turned it into an exclusive--rather than just a touring story. Here's the entire piece: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9142769

Yeah, I think he was just trying to express the success of the Vertigo Tour. It could easily be taken out of context. Expect to see this plastered on the front of a tabloid, together with an article on how Bono plans to run for President or something :p

It's clear he talks about Vertigo Tour In Usa, people! Come On, it is so simple to get! It was the last gig In USA (not considering Hawaii) It was a triumphant tour in USA, hard to duplicate now, and it's good to quit now, submerged by applauses, to start again in the next tour!
And they have already talked a lot of times about their will to make a new album, stay calm, we will have U2 still around our feet

Achtung_Bebe said:
Yeah, I think he was just trying to express the success of the Vertigo Tour. It could easily be taken out of context. Expect to see this plastered on the front of a tabloid, together with an article on how Bono plans to run for President or something :p

Bono's running for President!?????????????????

:shocked:

VertigoGal said:
well better him than ahnold, i suppose, if we have to go down that road.

or maybe president of ireland, do they have presidents over there?

:hmm:

Irelands president is a woman, I think...................................
Anyway, he's the president of ZOORRRROPA!

:bono:

U2Man said:

About Edge's statement......."I don't think we could ever top it." :confused:

This is so so soooo NOT U2.

That is a little uncharacteristic of U2. What's kept them together and making music and touring for so long is they think they can do better, they believe they haven't made their best album yet, because as an artist you have to believe that. If you concede that your best work is already behind you, then what's the point? That doesn't mean that U2 will ever top Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree or whatever their best album is, but they can try.

However, putting the statement in context, I'm almost certain it was in relation to the end of the US tour, and it's nothing to freak out about. If U2 were really going to quit, it would be a huge news story, and all the other quotes we've heard from U2 are about being thirsty to make more music and experiment and such. Definitely doesn't sound like a band that's about to quit to me. They could theoretically pull a Beatles and make albums without touring, yes, but live is where they live. I don't think they could ever give that up.

Anyone who believes that U2 are going to break up or whatever..because of what edge said.....

Do you also believe that HTDAAB is the First U2 album, and there best? :)

(well the album is great, but not the best)

Maybe U2 IS OVER....

and will legaly change the name to THE LARRY MULLEN BAND :drool: :rockon:

PS: I'm not drooling over Larry, but over the thought fo that name :shifty:

I agree....I'm sure he was talking about the US tour ending.

Plus, if they were considering breaking up or ending supporting their albums with a tour, why would Bono keep saying about HTDAAB "We feel like we put out our first album."?

That doesn't sound like a group that's throwing in the towel...

hay guyZ wut iz goin on in dis topiX?11?!
-looks at quote-

U2 is teh D00MED!!!! :scream:

but seriously, Bano hasn't gotten to his Fat Elvis stage, well not REALLY that fat yet :wink:

Back
Top Bottom