What does Bono mean by "punk"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
Just wanted your thoughts on Bono's tagging this next album as a 'punk' album.

I doubt we'll be seeing any Blink 182 covers myself. It will surely be reminescient of Boy or roots punk, but Bono should have made that clear since many people, such as myself, despise modern day punk like the filthy plague it is;
has there ever been worse, more grating music than the bullshit we hear from Blink 182, Sum 41, or ______(insert one syllabal name) _____(insert random number)?

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

Punk as in Boy!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Basstrap:
has there ever been worse, more grating music than the bullshit we hear from Blink 182, Sum 41, or ______(insert one syllabal name) _____(insert random number)?

Yes my friend ther is more grating music. A few names that pop to mind are:

Creed
Ludacris
Ja Rule
Nas
Usher
Alicia Keys
Shakira
Garth Brooks
OutKast
Enrique Iglesias
Britney Spears
Busta Rhymes
Lil Bow Wow
Toby Keith
Staind
Willie Nelson
Jennifer Lopez
Master P
'Nsync
Backstreet Boys
DMX
Limp Bizkit
Nate Dogg
Destiny's Child

Just to name a few of the ones on the current U.S. chart

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 01-29-2002).]

Bono always uses the word punk when he has no clue what the album is gonna sound like

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Talk about a return to your roots
wink.gif
Maybe it's a bit Ramones inspired. I read he said they were all hard rocking songs.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Quite frankly, I think Bono is really just talking about the 'spirit' of the album. There is a part from the U2 does Much special where Bono refers to ZooTV and PopMart as 'punk rock.'

I think he is just being his vague self, and like Salome said, he has no clue as to what the album is gonna sound like. Just my 2 cents. I am now expecting change...

------------------
Peace on Earth.

[This message has been edited by pop_mofo (edited 01-29-2002).]

Blink 182 and Sum 41 are not punk bands. They are pop bands who were influenced by punk and I think Bono knows the difference between authentic punk and this bubblegum California variety of so-called Punk that seems to be popular these days.

oooh, wait till notiti and stajji see this thread.

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

Originally posted by Basstrap:
Just wanted your thoughts on Bono's tagging this next album as a 'punk' album.

I doubt we'll be seeing any Blink 182 covers myself.

Ok I just have to say before I start this little rant that upon reading the above lines, I got so upset that I kicked over a chair.

Let me tell you that although you did save yourself from immediate boot to the face by distancing Blink from original punk, you err by even calling them punk at all.
Their music isn't even reminisent of punk.

Take these things into consideration:
1) ANY band that actually has MTV videos in regular rotation, or songs on the mainstream radio in regular rotation is AUTOMATICALLY NOT PUNK. Along with the music, there is a certain ammount of punk rock ideals that one HAS to take on board in order to be considered a part of punk rock culture, one of which is of course a natural abhorance of ALL things mainstream. If you want your band on MTV, you aren't punk. Punk belongs in the allies of the world, drinking cheap whiskey and smashing bottles.
2) Blink's music isn't even remotely punk. It's well, it's bad, and I don't even know what the hell to classify it as, but maybe like bad alternatiove. Punk IS: Rancid, Good Riddance, The Dropkick Murpheys, The Bouncing Souls, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, The Business, Against All Authority (who win best punk ass album name ever for "24 Hour Roadside Resistance") and Anti-Flag.
Listen to these bands and you will know what punk is.
3) Just know that if I ever here of Blink, Sum 41, Good Charlotte and any other lame-ass dubbed by the media as punk bands referred to as such here again, I will yell like this. Don't belive what the media tells you, as usual they have NO idea what is really going on.

But anyway, I as an angry, young and poor punk chick, I am stoked to see U2 embracing punk rock music and/or culture. I think that we can look for an album somewhere along the lines of The Clash (the only band that matters.)

But anyway, yeah....

---------------------------------------

PUNKZ NOT DEAD!!!!!

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Originally posted by Calluna:

Blink 182 and Sum 41 are not punk bands. They are pop bands who were influenced by punk and I think Bono knows the difference between authentic punk and this bubblegum California variety of so-called Punk that seems to be popular these days.

oooh, wait till notiti and stajji see this thread.

TRUE!

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

I don't think Bono is being vague at all. He means 'punk' as in the spirit of the music, not as in a genre (definitely NOT Blink 182: I have more punk in my little finger than they do combined).

Remember where U2 came from, in the late 70's. They were turned on by that sort of do-it-for-yourself ethic of the early punk acts like the Ramones, and of course many others. It's not about wearing safety pins through your nose - it's about the spirit of the music. He means it's rebel music, and I guess right now he's still rebelling against his own apathy. POP was definitely punk. It was the sound of a rock band that didn't want to go to sleep.

duds ACHTUNG BABY is a mature punk rock album and yes they should make another album like that.....

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

haha basstrap@Blink
Maybe we'll get a video clip with a naked U2 prancin about the streets of Dublin!

When Bono said that I was a lil excited to say the least.Definitely punk in the form that punk once was.Maybe he just wants to get that mohawk again...

ZA<---Punkwannabe

Blink 182 is punk. So is Green Day. Sure why not SUM 41? LOL... at the band bashing... To say the above bands aren't even related to punk in some form or fashion just takes the Ramones out of the equation IMO.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Also I think Bono is referring to style (rocking) and spirit when he says punk.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Another thing, I hope to God that U2 doesn't make another Boy... we've already had a retro album of sorts in ATYCLB. To make another would be disappointing to some degree.

------------------

When Bono says punk he probably means "raw guitar driven no frills no over produced back to basic rock."

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Calluna:

Personally, I agree with that statement but, on the other hand, there have been
god-knows-how-many waves of punk since the '70's and I think it's okay for punk to be redefined every now and then. It's not a sin.

Besides, we're the main stream (at least I am). How the hell would we know what punk is? I work for a large conglomerate and fucking drink Starbucks coffee. I am so out of touch with what punk might be that I can't even comment on it.

Back
Top Bottom