What do your friends think of U2 now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's a lame question if you choose to look at it that way
smile.gif
but I'd like to know how the boys are doing at ground level...

I had a friend who said "You know I'm beginning to like U2 more and more. I'm not really a fan, but everytime watching them perform is just so cool! Especially during the Grammys when they sang "Walk on". Wow.. the power!!!" That was an exact quote, hehe.

Another one said that even she has to admit U2 have been producing some pretty good songs and that they do rock. She also commented that their lyrics aren't as "dumb-ass" like most songs written nowadays in the pop/rock category.

-----------
I think it's great that U2 are garnering new fans and getting even bigger than ever, but I personally think it's best for them to give the public a rest for a while and quietly leave the limelight. Like one non-U2 fan said, U2 are ubiquitious and for that reason he/she doesn't fancy them. I wouldn't want U2 to come out with a new album this year, for instance, because people are getting U2 fatigued and sales for a possibly great album would plummet because of this.

And... no... I'm not trying to be U2's manager...
<g>
foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Well.. after bugging my friend for more than a year, she FINALLY got a U2 album from the library.
wink.gif
She also says she likes them now, at least. But I haven't really seen any change beyond that -- all my friends are indifferent. Their musical tastes are vastly different, so that probably doesn't help.. gee, am I rambling? lol

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I don't think any of my friends have been influenced by their success. Those that liked 'em still like 'em and those that didn't still don't. However, I do have a friend that used to claim that they sucked, but now he says he never said that and that he does like them, just doesn't like them like I do. lol! Who could? hee hee. But perhaps he's been a bit swayed...

My brother used to like U2 during the JT years. Then, unexplicably, he turned away from them. He said that they sucked. He said that all of their songs sounded alike. He said they were talentless hacks.

I knew that I had to do something. I had to plan a U2 intervention. When ATYCLB came out, I knew that the time had come. I knew exactly how to hook him and bring him back into the fold. ..... "Elevation"

The first time he heard "Elevation" he nearly popped. He was Bono's bitch once again.
biggrin.gif
Ever since, he's copied every U2 CD & single I have, boosted every rare MP3, and overdosed on every video.

My job was done.

ATYCLB, "The album that made me Bono's slave."
tongue.gif

All of my friends have high respect before their success and long range of hits. But they are not real fans who buy albums or so...

He might be Bono's bitch but I'm Larry's dog
wink.gif

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

My ex boyfriend started to listen some to U2 when we met but never really took them in. He liked Edge since he's a guitarplayer himself. We broke up last april after 3.5 years, one reason was U2. And when he turned 25 in May I gave him a ticket to the show in Stockholm and said that he HAD to go, my last attempt to try to get him to at least see a glimpse of what I feel about them, see them live has changed many people so why not him. He wasn't that thrilled to go all the way to Stockholm (6 hours drive) just for the show but he did.
I had GA and his ticket was a seat so we decided to meet up after the show. We did and the sight? Him in tears, with no words for what it was like. The day after when he had went home again I got a message from him saying:
"I admit it, you've succeeded, I'm now on a mini U2 fan, sitting here listening to SBS with a beer, thank you!"

When I've spoken to him afterwards he says that why he cried was because it reminded him of me, hearing the songs I've used to play while together. Ok, I can get that but it wasn't just that, that's for sure but since it was such a heated subject in our relationship I guess he's a bit too proud to admit that they really had touched him.

My closest friend is not a fan but the biggest fan of my obsession and she loves to hear me talk about them and show her videos and stuff.
biggrin.gif
She fancy Larry.....
smile.gif

I can relate to the story MissZooropa told us above. My marriage has passed thru some hard crisis during these last three years or so and I must admit that my U2 fandom somehow only got things worse. Nowadays I don't even know what came first...if I got more and more into U2 as a way to runaway from the problems in our relationship or if those problems might be due to the increase of my U2 fandom, something that he does not share with me. Our life never were a bed of roses though, I admit that. He doesn't.

As for my friends and co-workers, I have got some good feedback these last days due to the Grammys they received. I have heard no word against Walk On being awarded Record of the Year, among the people I know, what gets me really proud of. And the song has been played on the radio again since last Wednesday.

Let's see. My friends that were U2 fans but not fanatics, are still in the same position. Although since I dragged most of them to a concert this year, they do agree now that they are incredible live, and won't have to be persuaded as much next time.

My friends that hate u2, hate them even more now. I had someone tell me yesterday that they were 'getting just a hell of a lot sick of u2'. (Don't worry, I socked him one!!)

I have a few technoy friends that loooooooved pop. They are annoyed by the new album.

And of course, like everyone, I am surrounded by idiots who don't recognize Bono for his humanitarian efforts.

Most of my friends are latent fans, and couldn't be bothered to watch the Grammy's - which is no big deal bc they think watching awards shows mean celebrity worship, and in some cases they're right. They think U2 are too old to be popular, so this usually means the end of a reasonable discussion b/t us
wink.gif

My family doesn't like rock music and refuses to take part in even listening to why U2 mean so much to me. They're main concerns for me are that I don't do anything that would cost them money or their retirement plans down the road.
mad.gif

Anyway - I don't care who of my friends/family likes/dislikes U2. I know I love them, and I know that it's all subjective. That said, it's just always fun to get a reaction and see a reaction out of people for anything
biggrin.gif

I know a lot of people who used to like them in the 80's but stopped in the 90's or after AB who like them again. Others are paying attention to them for the first time and buying the old stuff! U2 have really done a lot for their public image and impression since ATYCLB came out. Now I do believe they are now a household word, and of course rock immortals.

My friend told me she finally bought ATYCLB after being blown away by U2's Grammy performance. I'll give her some time alone with the CD, and then direct her to Interference
smile.gif

I became a fan in 1995. That meant that the first new album experience and the first time U2 was really back into the spotlight was with Pop. My friends and family were not big fans of Pop, and I was ripped on quite a bit for being a U2 fan. However...ATYCLB is winning everybody over...my parents have always been fans, but they didn't like Pop much. My sister hated U2 with a passion, but she loves ATYCLB (I got her a copy for Christmas, and she said she listens to it all the time). A co-worker also admitted that his instructor played The Joshua Tree for 3 hours straight the other day in class, and he liked it...so I bought him a copy.
smile.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Most of my friends can admit that U2 has talent at the very least. They are supportive of my mania, and I have them trained so that when they hear U2 on the radio, or see a video they stop their surfing for me. But my major triumph happened over Thanksgiving when my friend Brian said that he thinks "Somewhere in the world at all times, U2 shoudl be playing on the radio." I was proud cuz he's my little punk boy, and he can admit a good band when he hears them.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

Well, my best girlfriend who I'm trying (subtly) to turn into a megafan likes them. Not as much as I do, but she likes them. She doesn't really appreciate the finer things yet though...
Her boyfriend calls himself a fan (he sang her a U2 song last weekend and REALLY liked the superbowl thing), but yet feels the need to tell me that they're all gay. He also called Larry "old and decrepit." I don't know who he was looking at...
The rest of my friends are sort of latent U2 fans, maybe have one or two albums, look upon my obsessiveness with a wry humour.
My mom said Edge "isn't a real guitar player"
GRR.. she thinks anyone who doesn't play a Claptonesque solo every song isn't any good.
So there's the low down.

------------------
What's wrong with this picture?
Keep looking, you'll figure it out.

My Mum used to be unimpressed by U2, but I converted her after playing a lot of U2 songs in her presence. I also showed her POPMart in Mexico video, and since she didn't have any pre-conceptions about Bono she was quickly charmed,
smile.gif
She admitted that he was no less impressive than Freddie Mercury, and that's saying a lot!

My friends are naive and some very ignorant.

Some say that U2 are too old and look ridiculous on stage.

They think that bands such as Coldplay, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley are better.

But then I just remind them how long their careers are compared to U2's.
Then I ask them how popular their brit pop bands are in the US.

I like these bands too, but once you truly discover U2, they'll always be number 1 on your list of favourite bands.

Back
Top Bottom