What do your coworkers/friends have to say about Superbowl halftime show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL
well, as an added bonus, that was my mother that said that..
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"I think that Edge is the head of the band, I'm the heart, and Adam and Larry are the feet." - Bono, 1981

u2er@u2email.com

Who are my friends

Ugh. Well I'm a 16 year old male junior in high school and had 7 people over. They know I LOVE u2 with all my heart. Well, here are some comments:

"A heart? Why a heart? Thats gay"

I said: It represents what U2 is all about this year, you have no idea what your talking about. U2 is about love, hope and more.

"Bono, what a stupid name"

I said: I'll get into that later, but don't diss U2.

"That album is so overplayyed"

I said: Well, yeah, its the best album of the year too man. It did rack up 8 grammy nominations.

I said: How many grammys did TUPAC win?

During the performance they wanted to switch the channel. They tried getting in front of me to bother me. Couldn't work, I was set on Bono. Then some moron turned the TV off. I almost kicked EVERYONE out and then turned it back on and blasted it. It really pissed me off, because, I was so excited for this moment.

Then, when Bono did the little heart thing <3 they're like, "What is that, a (excuse me) pussy"? I was like: Its a heart you idiot, stop talking. I was so mad about that. Bono was so cool to do that little heart, loved it.

During the performance I had a combination of chills, tears, and and urge to hit the people I was with. My heart was racing though, and the performance was AMAZING.

My last words: Hey, Jordan (kids name), why didn't you turn off the TV while they showed the 9/11 victims from your own country? Why didn't you? Please tell me.

Response: SILENCE.

In the end, I loved the performance but knew the people I was with weren't mature enough to handle such a great rock band and such a great thing of U2 to do. I know they wanted to bother me, I guess, but its very immature. I later went into my room, blasted Discotheque and it was all good. So, the question remains, how many grammys has TUPAC won?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Peace on Earth!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

My neighbor (Boston native) called me this morning: "The Kellys (that's us) must be having the greatest day! Not only did the Pats win the Super Bowl last night, but U2, your favorite, kicked ass for the halftime show, and it's snowing like hell (here in Rochester, NY)! (the whole family skis)

Yes, it was a beautiful show and all my friends and family were impressed at my good taste!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Wow, baker, that sucks. At least you were able to appreciate U2's message and cheer yourself up afterward.

And you're right. I don't remember Tupac winning any grammies. Not even for "How Do You Want It."
tongue.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

[This message has been edited by HeartlandGirl (edited 02-04-2002).]

My Dad (who has never understood what I saw in U2)called me right after halftime. He said, "Your boys done good. They choked me up. I think I get them now."

I'm sending him a copy of ATYCLB today. I think we've got a convert!

When i asked my workmates what they thought about u2`s halftime show! they said they were better than those poofter boybands they had lastyear.

[This message has been edited by Mr EDGE (edited 02-04-2002).]

All of my friends loved it except for one. She said that U2 scolling the names of the 9/11 victims in the screen was a "cheap attempt at trying to connect with Americans."
rolleyes.gif
She also felt that the 9/11 element in their performance was out of place and it "ruined the mood of the game."

I didn't even bother to explain to her that the whole theme of the game was the American sense of freedom, but her comments made me a lil angry.

As soon as I walked in the classroom this morning, I was going around the room checking homework and each student said, Did you see U2? Did you tape it? Only 3 weeks into the semester and they already know what a huge fan I am.

Their response was very positive. One girl said she cried during MLK, and she thought Larry looked way too young and hot for his age in that mesh shirt! There were a few comments on how Bono is awesome/sexy/has a great rock n roll voice. They liked the night sticks and the choice of songs, too.

Now they want me to bring the tape in and show it in class. I think I just might, for patriotism's sake, y'know?
biggrin.gif

Converting the masses, one at a time...

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Another Board I read frequently has nothing but praise.

Also,

1. Co-worker: "I was like 'aww, gee, no more U2'" (when it finished - he was so into it, he got pissed when it finished.
biggrin.gif
)
2. Co-worker's B/F: "Who are they?" - "U2" - "gee, he looks old". (No helping some people)
3. A few "They were pretty cool"
4. A special mention of the flag lining coat. That went down well. (remember that cockhead describing it as 'cut-up old glory'?)

------------------
I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
No offense taken Playtheblues....I believe there are a lot of people out there who don't know the meaning of "Born in the USA."

*gets visions of U2 performing 'In God's Country' at halftime

eek.gif

These are all awesome- those stats about U2's albums on amazon are crazyy!! woohoo!! (crazy, good lol)

HeartLandGirl- that is SO funny! I was talking to my friend yesterday (we went to the stereophonics concert together!) and she's a teacher too and all her students (5th grade) came in and asked if she saw it and they said they loved it and she told them she was in the heart like that at their shows and they got all excited (after clearing up the confusion that she wasn't in the heart sunday night lol) but I LOVE how she's able to spread their good music to these kids- well all she really did was say she liked them, now they come in with daily reports about them! LOL!!

And my aunt, who i've been slowly inducting into the club (my uncle does sports photography on the side of being a teacher so he loves looking at the concert pics) she's a teacher too and she told her students (high school) she likes them (I burned her the JT cd lol) and they all come in to tell her about the band, which awards they're up for and stuff.
biggrin.gif

wooohoo!! another reason for Bono to say teachers are the real heroes of the world!!
wink.gif
smile.gif

------------------
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Take Me...Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

WoW looks like Baker had the only real F*ck#d up experience, most everbody else has positive things to say.

Most of my friends are like that, just older, and perfer 'rap' and other shit(*) music to good stuff. In fact, here in hell its hard to find those that don't , although I think with the upswing in U2's popularity in the last year the light is appearing at the end of the tunnel.

I hate to sound condescending, but I think it is an intelligence issue. I'm not saying that if you don't like U2 you are of low intelligence (although I would say your ears must be broke), but most of my friends who are really into the rap-crap and nothing else are not the brightest bulb if you know what I mean.

Tupac was a good example-RIP- for you to use. I won't talk bad about the deceased, but his image speaks for itself.

One of the workers at my job told me that U2 was cool and it was really cool the way he ran around that heart-shaped stage. He also said that he really liked them and they blew away last years show. This guy is an african-american, probably had no idea I am such a U2 nut.

There is hope people, and to Baker don't let things get to you too much. If your 'friends' see that they will press on even harder
cool.gif

Baker, you need a new set of friends! Thank God for interference!!!

I am so impressed with everything you said to them and for not letting them get to you! I was once "attacked" about every possible aspect of U2 by someone in this rock group I worked with, and it really is so frustrating. Another time, 2 of my closest U2 fan friends turned on the band and I had to defend U2 to them - it made me want to cry! Fortunately they have come 'round again. It really is like bashing your head into a brick wall trying to get through to these ppl. It's their loss obviously!

My friends and mom's reaction was: "On a scale of 1-10, they get a 10!"

My mom was blown away so much I left the 10-15 Chicago show by her purse today to listen to, and she came home raving about it!!
biggrin.gif

I got emails from friends saying my boys got extra points and that they can understand why I love them so much!!

Yay!!
smile.gif

------------------
You can tear it up
If you can tie me down

Back
Top Bottom