What do you want to see on U2's next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:

U2...writing and recording songs? for an album?

that's ridiculuous. I'd rather hear Radiohead write and record songs for the new U2 album, because Radiohead is everything I wish U2 was, but I still post all the time at a U2 forum anyway, bitching about how much U2 sucks now.

You're breaking Zootlesque's heart.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd like to see songs on the next album. preferably ones written and recorded by u2.

Songs?

That's unoriginal sell-out bullshit. :tsk:

Electronic icing is all it takes to make good music. Songs and melodies are so old and overrated :tsk:

U2Man said:

You're breaking Zootlesque's heart.

hey now, I never said I was talking about him, or anyone in particular... but you know what I mean...

and for the record, Radiohead is my second favourite band ever :wink:

I want to see a producer (Rick Rubin, maybe?) get in there and shake things up a bit. I want to see Bono made 100% accountable for holding up his end of the record. That means trying to perfect some interesting, thoughtful lyrics and giving a genuine effort in the performance.

I'm just afraid that Bono will be even less present during the recording of the next record than he was for HTDAAB. I mean, when he says he wants to "serve these men," I don't see that as a totally positive thing. He should be at the core of this record, and give us a piece of his soul like he has in the past. IMO, a few of the lyrics on HTDAAB could have been stronger (ABOY, Miracle Drug).

Besides that, I'm hoping for some bold production, to really get the most out of the songs. I think that the sort of job they did on LAPOE was excellent, whereas some songs (COBL, SYCMIOYO) could have been better. I know what you're all saying... "um... COBL and SYCMIOYO were best rock song and best song respectively at the Grammys..." but I don't know... try listening to the bass on SYCMIOYO, or the drums on COBL. They're great songs, but sometimes I cringe.

As far as the actual music... I'm hoping for some epic rock songs personally, with some atmosphere mixed in.

I would REALLY like to see a U2 GROOVE album - no arena rock anthems or big, booming choruses... just some nice beats and poetic lyrics that really make you think. Something like a folk album, where more emphases is placed on the lyrics, but something you can GROOVE to... like, real swagger and style. Maybe throw in a few funky, bumpy bass beats. Also, perhaps some good ol'fashioned crooning from Bono. Yeah! Maybe a little darker than previous albums, but not as depressing as some of their 90's stuff. Create some cool melodies that you can absorb in after repeated listens.

:drool: Yaaaaaah, I really hope the next album almost kinda sorta fits that description...

i wanna hear heavy monster riffs, hard machinegunlike drumming and rumling bass lines. i wanna listen to a real rock album :rockon:

Something in the vein of MDH soundtrack songs Stateless, Ground... and Falling at your feet ; more atmospheric than the last two albums but still fresh sounding.

I'd like the see them record an Astral Weeks type album. Almost like UF but even looser. Very jam-oriented. But that obviously won't happen.

with Edge helping out with "Music Rising" and getting involved down in Orleans, would be cool to hear one or two tracks with a blues feel to it.

Definetly could see eDge doing some cool stuff with that direction.

only a couple tracks, but would be interesting.

I want a cheerful album, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are depressing.
I want a song called "summer dress"
I want unity not a collection of 12 singles
I want Bono in the recording studios as a singer not as a tourist
I want Daniel Lanois and a new fresh producer
I don't want nostalgic songs

I want a smilling optimistic uncool summer album :drool:

I want another UF album :) you know, the same style that they caught in those times (though they're not 24 anymore).

Why is everyone so for Rick Rubin? He had great moments in the past, like Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar.." but the last two albums by that band were lame as can be. They stuck to the safe commercial 'oh look we're mature songwriters now and not a bad-ass funk band' route and produced the type of routine repetitive pop drivel that unfortunately assaults me everyday at my business' Muzak station. He is a great producer but I'm just saying is he really going to shake things up for U2 or just be star-struck and let them do what they want while merely turning a couple knobs and raising the levels here and there? I'd rather U2 recorded with a producer that hates their new stuff, will chastize them, and get them to think outside the box. I'd like to see them with Steve Albini, who is known to spend a short amount of time with vocal recording, opting to focus more on getting an original instrumental sound. I think he would be a good producer. He'd let them experiment and go all over the place with their instruments, and then spend a moment here and there with Bono. Me personally, I'd love to see that. And I know I'm gonna recieve a backlash for this, with posts saying "blasphemy, Bono's lyrics and melodies are one half the band!!", but I guess I'm just sick of his voice, well his approach to vocals lately anyway. I'd like to see him try it from a different angle. So when I hear the vocals I'm not going "here comes Bono's big message" or "here comes Bono's 'hey kids, i'm still rockin' and i'm in my 60's' shouting". I'd rather think "this guy's leading me on a journey. To where? I don't know. But I can't wait to find out."

ozeeko wrote:I'd rather U2 recorded with a producer that hates their new stuff, will chastize them, and get them to think outside the box. I'd like to see them with Steve Albini...
btw RR hates the new U2 stuff...he told me lately...so he would be the right choice in your terms ;-)*
but i admit steve albini would be another good choice as a producer.

Back
Top Bottom