What Do You Think U2 Should Have Done After Pop? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I'd have liked em to have released an album akin to Neil Young & The Shocking Pinks 'Everybody's Rockin'...and see how the fans and Island reacted.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 07:46 PM
I'm pretty critical of U2 because they've held themselves up to very high standards. I preface with that point, because:

-- I think ATYCLB is brilliant

-- I think HTDAAB is even more brilliant than ATYCLB

Honestly, what more do people want? Had they put out this "experimental" nonsense y'all are talking about, there would now be 20 fans on this board talking about the phenomenon of the past called U2, all of them griping about how the band should have tried to recapture the mainstream in the late 90s.

Certainly I concede that ATYCLB was, in some sense, a conservative effort. But who cares? After you've been around for 20+ years and already gone through two critical backlashes, you've earned the right to do what you want. As long as their songs stay as good as they've been, and the band itself remains totally committed to being "U2" (unlike, say, The Rolling Corporatio-- er, Stones), then I'm perfectly happy with straight-ahead pop/rock songs.

One thing about U2 is that they usually trust their instincts. I think they sensed the return of the baton in 1999-2000 and they went for it (and won the race). I also think that these days they are up to some new ideas and sounds, not because their fans think they're too conservative but because that's their instinct.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 02:46 AM
so i take it no one likes 'when i look at the world"? thats the best song off that record

i think u2 did precisely what they had to do after pop and i believe we wouldnt be here discussing this had they done otherwise.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 02:46 AM
oh and if theyd have done new york studio like they played it on the electrical storm single then that wouldve changed a lot. way more energy. the whole second half of "all that" couldve used more energy
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:46 PM
My tracklisting of ATYCLB is a masterpiece.

However that fact that it includes Electrical Storm and Window In The Skies makes it invalid.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Whether you like it or not ATYCLB was needed to get out of the irony, and more importantly, the looming shade of AB. Beautiful day is just as important a song for their career as One was.

The end of experimentation was beginning to show on Pop (SATS, minus sonic tweaks aside, is the first hint of the straightforward, melodic songwriting, and there are the first sings of the now much-hated Edge chimes on Please and IGWSHA). The problem with All that... (and Bomb, and Pop since we're at it) is they didn't pick one direction and go with it.

That first half of ATYCLB up to and including IALW is amazing, up there with the rest of their best stuff. After Wild honey though it feels like someone pulls the brake onto all the joy/pop music and instead of putting on GBHF and Levitate (sometimes the singer is right) we get the bizzare twist of mood that the album never really recovers from. A nice guitar blast from New York and the sweet pop sounds only come back on Grace. Most importantly, despite some moments like Walk on or Kite this was a new direction (as they never did pop music before) and it felt fresh, not bad after 20 years of career.

That said, I enjoyed the MDH soundtrack songs too and I'd like to hear something in that direction too (song 402 from beach clips and Mercy are possibly the continuation). And after All that... (and especially Bomb - you only get to make a retro album once) I'm ready for what's next. As they are.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Reporter: "so Bono... what er you guys doing after Pop and Popmart"

Bono: "er... I think.. yeah.. WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!"

U2: "YEAH!!!!!!!!"
Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

That first half of ATYCLB up to and including IALW is amazing, up there with the rest of their best stuff. After Wild honey though it feels like someone pulls the brake onto all the joy/pop music and instead of putting on GBHF and Levitate (sometimes the singer is right) we get the bizzare twist of mood that the album never really recovers from. A nice guitar blast from New York and the sweet pop sounds only come back on Grace. Most importantly, despite some moments like Walk on or Kite this was a new direction (as they never did pop music before) and it felt fresh, not bad after 20 years of career.

I completely agree. I was listening to ATYCLB last night and after IALW it takes the biggest left turn, without getting back on track.

-Wild Honey
-POE
-WILATW
-NY
-Grace

I think this could be the worst sequence of songs on a U2 album. What could have U2 done?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop

I think this could be the worst sequence of songs on a U2 album. What could have U2 done?
Wait a minute: this is about what U2 do after Pop. It's not about Achtung Baby (which you described with that statement I quoted).
Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #40
you are what you is

my only problem with the 2nd half of All that ..... is "New York"
as much as the album does need something with a bit more guitar that song doesn't really do it for me

the rest is ace
because I say so

we were listening to Achtung Baby and I noticed how except for the first 4 songs and the last 3 songs there is no cohesion at all there
you could play everything in between in any order and it wouldn't matter at all
sort of the same as with POP with the difference that overall the songs on Achtung are stronger than the ones on POP
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 65980
As long as their songs stay as good as they've been, and the band itself remains totally committed to being "U2" (unlike, say, The Rolling Corporatio-- er, Stones), then I'm perfectly happy with straight-ahead pop/rock songs.
I agree. Except... neither of those is true when it comes to U2. Not only are the songs that came out this decade NOT as good as the ones that came before, U2 comes off more and more like a "corporation" now. Releasing albums only at Christmas time... making too many greatest hits CDs... how are they any different from the Stones?

I don't mind U2 making pop music at all, as long as it doesn't sound like U2 lite with mediocre lyrics.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
War Child

I guess with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, they became very conscious of their 90s image, and instead of making irony out of irony (thusly, into what should have come - self-awareness), they took very calculated steps to dig them out of the "hole" that POP dug for them.

I really think they could have found a nice middle ground, so to speak (hehe), inside that "hole", instead of looking to outside sources to pull them out of it.

But what I really think they should have done after POP, is gotten back to songwriting a la All..., but still infused it ideas, methods and inspirations from Zooropa and POP. As mentioned many times in this thread, ATYCLB (and subsequently, Bomb), suffered from overproduction, over thought, over analysis, etc. At least in my eyes. They both have many high points, but neither are anywhere CLOSE to as interesting as POP. LAPOE comes close, but doesn't quite satisfy.

Oh, and Bono's lyrics have become too direct. He's much better at culling feeling and emotion out of imagery than bare boned truth. Most of the time.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by pacemaker
Oh, and Bono's lyrics have become too direct. He's much better at culling feeling and emotion out of imagery than bare boned truth. Most of the time.
Thank you for that! I have been saying the same thing for years in this forum. Bono is much better at poetry and hidden meaning than direct lines with zero subtlety... I agree.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Thank you for that! I have been saying the same thing for years in this forum. Bono is much better at poetry and hidden meaning than direct lines with zero subtlety... I agree.
Welcome!

I think it goes without saying that poetry and hidden meaning wouldn't have ruined Kite with "when hip-hop drove the big cars..." whereas the rest of the song is a nice balance of poetry and directness.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by pacemaker
I think it goes without saying that poetry and hidden meaning wouldn't have ruined Kite with "when hip-hop drove the big cars..." whereas the rest of the song is a nice balance of poetry and directness.
Yup! I think the overly direct lyrics at the end are what bring a song as beautiful as Kite down a notch.

"life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement"... kinda like "always wear a safety belt.... always"

oh bono...