What Do You Think U2 Should Have Done After Pop? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 02:16 AM
I think they made the right choice. It was worth it for them to go in that direction, even if just for Beautiful Day.

Now, however, it's time for them to expand their horizons and move on.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:16 AM
They should have done a kickass rock and roll record. That's what excited me in all that Bomb hype.

Oh how naive I was.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I think ATYCLB wasn't a bad idea, just a horribly executed album. Beautiful Day, Kite, and Walk On are good songs. They could have used five more good songs.
Agreed on most parts.

I think they spent too much time on All That You Can't Leave Behind... polishing some songs to the point of neutering (lyrically and/or melodically). The issue I take with the band's direction post-Pop is that they became compulsive perfectionists (see the time and number of producers used for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb). Members of U2, Edge specifically, have claimed that their pursuit has always been to create the perfect record or album... maybe as the years have progressed the band has become more desperate in that pursuit. The unfortunate result has been albums of muddled focus, in my opinion.

As for the question at hand, I think they should have called it a career after Pop. That is, unless they had pursued the direction that Million Dollar Hotel was taking them (which seemed like a more interesting departure to Pop). The introspection, perspective of age, and ambient production of songs like Ground Beneath Her Feet and Falling At Your Feet intrigue me more than the entire collection of mid-life crisis bombasts from the last two albums.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
They should have done a kickass rock and roll record. That's what excited me in all that Bomb hype.

Oh how naive I was.
Xanax & Wine
Native Son
Are You Gonna Wait Forever

It WAS a rock record at one point, but they wussed out later thanks to Lillywhite.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I don't need to say anything. You've said everything I wanted to.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:16 AM
I agree with most of what is written in here.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the choice of direction on ATYCLB, but I do think it's overall a very weak album. They do succeed with making alot of it sound breezy and natural though, as good pop should sound, and there's no denying what Beautiful Day did for them. It's just a weak album. The other direction would have been "fuck it, lets just make great music" and I think that's the sound of those Million Dollar Hotel tracks, which sound more like what comes naturally after the 90s, growth wise. I'd love to have heard more of that, so much better than anything else they've done in the 00s.

HTDAAB does seem to have started out as everything they were hyping: an out and out rock record, 4 guys in a room, blah blah. But yeah, they freaked and turned it into something, IMO, truly horrible. Mid life crisis indeed.

And here we are in 2007/8. 10 years after Pop, and U2 just lost a Grammy to Maroon 5. For that song (WITS), and the recent history of this band, it actually makes perfect sense. That's a real shame.

Hopefully all this big change of direction talk is legit, and holds all the way through to release.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
The Male

I do believe the talk is legit. I simply do not believe they have an album of boring pop songs sitting on the table that they're calling Moroccan trad molten metal rock to screw with us.

If they change producers, I retract that statement.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The trouble is not with the direction they followed. The problem is in the choices thay made for the final tracklist.

It's not comprehensible why they left out of the album such great songs like "Levitate", "Stateless" and "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (no, it's not on my version - it's just... a bonus track) and why they kept poorer songs like "Wind Honey" (b-side material for me) and "Peace On Earth" (what a bad-taste title!... Even Bono admited it...).

...oh, and yes!... Unlike most people, I love "Grace" and think that it's the perfect closer and that it matches on the spirit of the album.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo
"Peace On Earth" (what a bad-taste title!... Even Bono admited it...).
How is it in bad taste? It's a sarcastic snipe at so-called Christmas spirit. Interesting idea for a song, I think.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray
I think they made the right decision at the time, and then gave us one of their most consistent records with ATYCLB. I can see the argument for H2DAAB being uninspired, but not ATYCLB.
QFT
Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
"Peace On Earth" (what a bad-taste title!... Even Bono admited it...).
What's so "bad taste" about it? I can kinda see it if somebody calls it a cliche title... but bad taste? Personally POE is one of my favorite songs on ATYCLB. Finally a song with interesting lyrics after a stretch of self-help songs.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:

What's so "bad taste" about it? I can kinda see it if somebody calls it a cliche title... but bad taste? Personally POE is one of my favorite songs on ATYCLB. Finally a song with interesting lyrics after a stretch of self-help songs.

and I would like to ask.. when did it become so easy to write a masterpeice??
seriously..if it was as easy as all the comments that tell them what they should have done.. then they would only have a catalogue of masterpeices.
ATYCLB & HTDAAB have achieved just what they were meant to..
Most of you already know that - You have to give them credit for that, at least. or not.. who am I kidding
(not directed at you Zootlesque)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

It's a very... predictable (very cliche, if you prefer) title.
I remember Bono saying (don't ask me where or when now...) that he'd slap someone who'd call a song "Peace On Earth", because it's not a good title for a song.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #29
War Child

Quote:
The trouble is not with the direction they followed. The problem is in the choices thay made for the final tracklist.

It's not comprehensible why they left out of the album such great songs like "Levitate", "Stateless" and "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (no, it's not on my version - it's just... a bonus track) and why they kept poorer songs like "Wind Honey" (b-side material for me) and "Peace On Earth" (what a bad-taste title!... Even Bono admited it...).

...oh, and yes!... Unlike most people, I love "Grace" and think that it's the perfect closer and that it matches on the spirit of the album.
I think we share a brain. I am no lover of ATYCLB but I love "Grace". It just works for me. It's a great closer. "Wild Honey" is likable but not great. Would have been a perfect B-side. "Peace On Earth" is as bad as it's title makes it sound. And "Elevation" is an embarrassment to the U2 name.

I remember being so excited for the new album after hearing M$H soundtrack. Looking back on the 00s output, what a disappointment it has been. That is the direction they should have gone. It would have been a much more interesting and rewarding ride, I have a feeling.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

What they really should have done is what they set out to do, actually. 4 guys in a room playing. Less overdubs. More Rubber Soul. Like what they were going for in the beginning. I guess overdubs and synthesized strings change "rubber" to "titanium."