What do you think of recent U2 music videos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzlingamy

Refugee
The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - M
Do you think the Bomb video clips are pretty bland and basically just going through the motion videos?

I dusted off my beloved 1990-2000 DVD and watched some of my favourite videos...

i have to say, where are the freaky deaky videos now? The ones with stories, the ones with characters, ones that you need to decipher, sexy drag, trabants, lemoooooooooon, a video of just edge, the village people, man with suitcase walking down incline, angels, etc

I think its something that i feel missing from recent u2 vid clips... intrigue and entertainment. The recent video clips are just absolutely boring. I don't want to see them singing, I want to see them doing weird things and blow smoke in each others faces.

what do you think? Is this just what they are comfortable with, or what are some or your favourite music videos?

the only U2 videos I ever truly liked are Lemon, Stay and Please

otherwise I basically feel they´ve always been kinda poor

even the Fly video was relatively interesting compared to most U2 vids

I do like to see them singing but i still like the clip to also interesting.... None of the HTDAAB clips really hit my spot..

I like the Beautiful Day clip, streets ahhh One bar versioin is good... I like sunday Bloddy Sunday Live version.. But i think U2 can do even better.....

Hoping WITS clip will be good :eyebrow:

I totally agree with you.
In a era where video has took an even bigger slice of the music importance, U2 has regressed this decade about making videos.
ATYCLB has good videos (BD, Stuck In A Moment - only the van version, since I truly hate the Canadian version - and Elevation), but after that, only Electrical Storm and Vertigo represented their minimal interesting and dynamic videos.

SYCMIOYO is good, but it can easily turn boring. COBL is great because it captures the show emotion but it has nothing special in it. ABOY hasn't got anything interesting: lots of crowd noise, very simple, no history, no dynamic, no sequence.
Walk On... both versions are ok, but not great and spetacular.

Saints Are Coming is a first effort of making something daring. First the rewriting history concept, then it is U2's first controversial video in many years.

But for me, OOTS is their best video of this decade and the first sign that something can - hopefully - change in the way U2 makes something different in their videos.

In the future, I'd like to see U2 making videos like in the 90's/late 80's that made people think, or even that are controversial having the same pretensions.

I agree! The HTDAAB videos did nothing for me. The only one that was somewhat entertaining was Vertigo. I miss the days of Please, SIAM, EBTTRT.

Yeah OOTS was a bore, they forgot to turn on the lights for COBL, Sometimes was boring too, Vertigo didn't really do anything at all, and ABOY was mildly interesting but not memorable.

While less visually interesting than the 90's, I still like a few of them.

BD and Euro Stuck: by far the best off ATYCLB, I wish they'd use the US version of Walk on for the whole world (better than the "Rio postcard" version), Elevation is nothing spectacular.

OOTS the best off Bomb, then Sometimes (wish they'd gone with the single take version), and then Vertigo (I'd use HQ version personally), COBL (probably didn't turn out the way they planned it) and ABOY are not that memorable.

I'd still take any of that over ES though.

Saints I guess is better than anything from the last two albums not counting BD, Euro Stuck and OOTS.

^^^ You really think Saints is better than, say, ABOY? I thought they were both your average, run-of-the-mill music videos. Atleast the editing in ABOY was above mediocre.

But I wouldn't say this decade has been all bad with the music videos. OOTS just might be my favorite, and honestly, I thought Elevation was great, too (it fit the mood of the song - very fun and playful with lots of EXPLOSIONS and FIRE and stuff for those with low attention spans). Beautiful Day is kind of iconic with the airport setting. Stuck in a Moment (Euro version) was very nice, as well as HTDAAB's Sometimes. Vertigo was decent - nice spiffin effects, but not as playful as Elevation, IMO.

...and that's where I will end. Hopefully WitS will pick up where OotS left off as a visually stunning and artsy, creative work.

Jesus... I have not seen any new videos I think. Just Saints the other day. Where are the HTDAAB vids?

*edit
I guess I can just go check youtube haha.

Yes.

I think ABOY should be shot either all in colour all all in black and white, and I think a simple, in-the-studio performance would be better. I like Saints better because it makes a point and it's not just a performance video, as so many of U2's videos are.

That said I liked the goofy Elevation video, the Vertigo effects (prefer the HQ version) and Sometimes (prefer the single take) fine.

I agree that BD, European Stuck and OOTS can stand up proudly next to U2's best videos.

I don't think it matters anymore. Music videos by rock bands has become a lost art. I think it has more to do with MTV not playing videos anymore, and just the fact that music videos are dominated by hip hop artists.

if U2 were to make an incredible video that provoked so many thoughts in us, Mtv or whatever television channels would kill it. they would turn it into "just another video" and possibly even overplay it.
:sad:
then it wouldn't be an incredible video anymore.. :sad: :sad:

youtooellen said:
if U2 were to make an incredible video that provoked so many thoughts in us, Mtv or whatever television channels would kill it. they would turn it into "just another video" and possibly even overplay it.

Yeah, that's true, it'd eventually happen.:|
However, it has already been proved that MTV is not supreme about deciding which song is a hit or not for having a daring video. It came to my mind Madonna's "Justify My Love" that was refused to be aired by MTV because of its content. But the controversy and the home-video curiosity helped the song going to #1 without MTV's support.

youtooellen said:

No, MTV doesn't support anything artistically creative and cutting edge. Otherwise we'd see videos by Radiohead, Sigur Ros etc.

They just play what is hot and popular at the moment and when it's not hot and popular they no longer play it.

dazzlingamy said:
Do you think the Bomb video clips are pretty bland and basically just going through the motion videos?

I dusted off my beloved 1990-2000 DVD and watched some of my favourite videos...

i have to say, where are the freaky deaky videos now? The ones with stories, the ones with characters, ones that you need to decipher, sexy drag, trabants, lemoooooooooon, a video of just edge, the village people, man with suitcase walking down incline, angels, etc

I think its something that i feel missing from recent u2 vid clips... intrigue and entertainment. The recent video clips are just absolutely boring. I don't want to see them singing, I want to see them doing weird things and blow smoke in each others faces.

what do you think? Is this just what they are comfortable with, or what are some or your favourite music videos?

Yes. I believe all the videos(except for Original of the Species) that have made for the HTDAAB album have been complete shit. Really boring, uninspiring, bland, etc. etc. I can't stand to even listen to the album anymore because it seems like they were completely lazy with the lyrics. :down:

It's too bad that they couldn't have shaken things up and made better videos.

Thank you for making a thread on this. :up:

Oh and if you have the Tube channel, they played two songs of U2 yesterday. City of Blinding Lights and The Saints are Coming. I suggest checking this channel out because they have some really awesome videos from Bob Marley to Portishead and really obscure videos back from the 70's.

Last edited:
Honestly though freaky and experimental music clips just wouldnt suit their latest music. Songs such as OOTS, SYCMIOYO and stuck need pretty simple and subtle clips I think. Bottom line is their music aint really experimental anymore so why should their music clips be???!!

Beautiful Day - pretty good, but I've never quite seen what all the fuss is about.

Stuck in a Moment - the European version rules, the American version is cheesy.

Elevation - Ugh. Hate it. If someone had told me back in the '80s that U2 would someday do a video that ties in with a movie based on a video game I wouldn't have believed them.

Walk On - It's OK - nice concept, but nothing earth-shattering.

Electrical Storm - It's kind of a rip-off of Wicked Game, but it is beautifully filmed and gives Larry a chance to show off his sex appeal.

Vertigo - Nice special effects, but not much else.

Sometimes - It's touching if you know all the details - such as the fact that the house is Bono's old house and the theater is where his dad used to perform - but I'm not sure how the casual fans would relate to it.

All Because of You - I liked this so much better when it was Where the Streets Have No Name.

City of Blinding Lights - Just your average concert clip. Maybe if I actually liked the song I'd feel differently about it.

Original of the Species - Great concept, ground-breaking special effects, touching performance (even if some of Bono's emoting goes a little over the top sometimes).

The Saints Are Coming - Puts a whole new twist on the
political-themed video. Kick-ass stuff.

Overall I think they had better videos in the past, but there's still a few gems.

Bono's shades said:

Sometimes - It's touching if you know all the details - such as the fact that the house is Bono's old house and the theater is where his dad used to perform - but I'm not sure how the casual fans would relate to it.

All Because of You - I liked this so much better when it was Where the Streets Have No Name.

SYCMIOYO - totally agreed.

ABOY - Really? I think it's one of their worse videos of the past 15 years. Bad conception (Streets ripoff but in a bad way), bad production, bad final result. Very very poor.

jonnytakeawalk said:
Honestly though freaky and experimental music clips just wouldnt suit their latest music. Songs such as OOTS, SYCMIOYO and stuck need pretty simple and subtle clips I think. Bottom line is their music aint really experimental anymore so why should their music clips be???!!

You raised a very good point. And i guess thats the answer isn't it....

But, I think they could have done the video clips better then just this meh meh SHIT ones. I mean OOTS had cool effects, but all you saw was Bono till almost the end. And i want to see THEM (u2) doing the weirdy stuff again not just some computer graphics and bono with his glasses.

I just love music videos, and U2 have produced some amazing ones, and I just feel like their show their ages you know. All old man sorta stuff, when I feel they can do much better then this!

The best videos of the last six years have been Original of the Species, Electrical Storm, and Walk On (London version). All three are very creative and interesting. The van version of SIAMYCGOO is also very good, though not quite as nice as the aforementioned three.

Bono's shades said:
Original of the Species - Great concept, ground-breaking special effects, touching performance (even if some of Bono's emoting goes a little over the top sometimes).

After watching videos all night, this is the only video I realized that I havent seen, what a trip. It's a lot different from what they usually do. I kinda liked it.

"John Lennon was once asked whether Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, to which he responded "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Aygo said:

But for me, OOTS is their best video of this decade

I agree, I really love the video for OOTS, so beautiful and surreal.

I am really loving the clip for The Saints Are Coming, I love that U2 have returned to the film clip being a platform for political statement - more of it I say!

Apart from OOTS, probably the only video from HTDAAB that stood out for me was Vertigo, to me all the other videos were kind of an afterthought, and i don't think in this age of 24 music tv that you can just rely souly on the music, the visual aspect needs to be there too.

Bono's shades said:

Oi, the playing on the back of a truck schtick was ripped off AC/DC, "Long way to the top"!!! Get it right! :madwife:

Otherwise, you're spot on!!!! :up:

:D

Beautiful Day- Great scenery...the runway is great

Elevation- Yes its a video game, but its still a fun video, its a break from the artsy lets make a point videos...someone explain the giraffe to me though

Walk On- OK...not outstanding

Stuck In A Moment- Van version is very well shot...not really a fan of the Americanized one (though love all the past references in it)

Vertigo- A hard rocker, a great start to the album and the video is alot of fun...kinda like elevation...just band on the loose

All Because of You- Nice concept, a little dizzying but a well shot video

COBL- Standard concert opener, seen it before

OOTS- Great computer generated figures, very different, Bono breaks down, loved it

Saints- hated it...except for the band shots, hated the snarky sarcastic political message

Hmm... My favorite videos out of the bunch are probably Stuck in a Moment (the van version), Beautiful Day and OOTS. I originally liked "Sometimes" but now I find it pretty bland. Same goes for the rest of the group. Meh.

However, I absolutely loathe the Elevation video. To me, it's easily one of their worst videos of all time... if not the worse. It's a mind-numbing embarrassment to U2 fans everywhere. Heck, I'm sure the "Red Hill Mining Town" vid is 10x better than that piece of crap.

Did I mention I don't like the Elevation video? :wink:

Last edited:
Why is Elevation that bad? At least it has action, it has an history and it shows something interesting. Okay, it is very MTV with explosions and that stupid stuff, but what's the problem? It's sightly more amusing to see than ABOY, COBL (that you can see better on the Chicago DVD), SIAM (NA version) or others of this decade...

Back
Top Bottom