What do you think Bono's feelings of a military retaliation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rathergoblind

The Fly
We all know that Bono knows all to well about the terrorism and violence. I and a friend were in the discusion of , what would Bono think of a major retaliation on terrorism with the use of military(if we do). we really were at a blank on where he would stand....I know he is usually always for piece. anyone else take a guess (not that we would know for sure or that this is even important question. just curious)

I don't expect him to say much about this issue, he has kept quiet so far, he will probably continue to offer support and condolences for those lost in the tragedy, but I don't expect him to say anything controversial, certainly nothing unpopular with Americans at least, that's the last thing U2 wants is to alienate an audience that they spent so much time and effort winning back

I'm pretty sure Bono would not be in favour of military retaliation, as this would undoubtedly result in innocent people ( those not connected to the attack ) losing their lives. I'm sure he would like to see those responsible punished by the courts but I don't think he would want any kind of war to start. I remember reading that he said he would never take anouther man's life for the sake of his country.

PEACE

You know, I don't want to sound purposefully callous and I'm sure someone's going to bitch at me for it, but at this point, after what has happened, I really don't care what Bono has to say about it.

Before you all start brandishing daggers, I'm just saying that I don't think it's Bono's place to discuss what the best course of action should be, or whether or not the military should get involved. What the singer of the greatest band in the world has to say about something this immense just seems irrelevant right now.

And anyway, I believe he's already voiced his opinion on matters like this. Track 8 (and 9 to an extent) of ATYCLB.

well I agree with you Diemen, but this is a U2 website and someone asked the question, so I gave an answer that I think is fairly accurate, but no, I don't care either what Bono thinks

Originally posted by Diemen:
You know, I don't want to sound purposefully callous and I'm sure someone's going to bitch at me for it, but at this point, after what has happened, I really don't care what Bono has to say about it.

Dieman, Completely agree. When I saw this thread I was going to post the same thing. Bono is an ENTERTAINER. No more no less.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Actually, I'm curious of Bono's feelings and opinions. I'm curious of EVERYBODY's feelings and opinions. That's why I've been reading what YOU all have to say. I could very well say, "What would I care what some schmoe on a message board thinks?" But I do care.

I would also give Bono a little more credit than JUST calling him an entertainer. Not only is he a wonderful husband and father (considering that his career takes him away from home so often), look at all of the wonderful things he's done (Drop the Debt, wonderful speech at Harvard, etc.).

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Bono is neither a politician nor a spiritual leader, even though to a certain extent he dabbles in both. I'm sure he knows when to voice his opinion and when to keep it to himself. I don't expect him to speak out on what kind of reaction would be appropriate for the US to take.

As for what he thinks, I have no idea. I myself have had to struggle with conflicting emotions these last few days, and I'm not as sure of my own opinions as I used to be.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I don't expect him to say much about this issue, he has kept quiet so far, he will probably continue to offer support and condolences for those lost in the tragedy, but I don't expect him to say anything controversial, certainly nothing unpopular with Americans at least, that's the last thing U2 wants is to alienate an audience that they spent so much time and effort winning back

So are you implying that his views would anger us? What do you think he thinks? He loves New York, he hates terrorism, he has hated it in his own country all his life and has condemned it. I don't think he would say anything that would alienate us not just because he doesn't want to lose his audience but because he doesn't feel that way. Bono is on vacation in Italy with his little boy Eli. He has just been on a non-stop regimen of touring, crusading to politicians, and enduring the tragedy of his sick and dying father. Now he goes out of town to relax, to find peace and to chill out. The last thing he wants is to jump into something so stressful and to worry his children. Of course, he can't close his eyes and make it go away and I'm sure he cares, but he is not directly involved in this and there is really nothing else he can do. He will make his comments in due time, and as someone mentioned it may just find its way into a new BTBS rant on the next leg.

Originally posted by LuvLady:
I'm sure he would like to see those responsible punished by the courts but I don't think he would want any kind of war to start. I remember reading that he said he would never take anouther man's life for the sake of his country.

PEACE

If we simply punish those who are responsible in courts we are simply setting the stage for more terrorism against us. We must eliminate this problem completely if we ever hope to have any hope of "peace on earth"

Bono is an idealist. I'm sure that he would be against it. Although I'm not sure I would agree with him this time I think we need idealists more than ever now.

MP

p.s.- I'm also pretty damn sure that he's too sensitive and thoughtful a man to start publically commenting about this what with feelings being as raw as they are right now.

Maybe mentioned in one of the messages above, it'll be interesting to see if they change the "gun" video/statement prior to BTBS, for this leg. Or maybe it's too sensitive a time to be throwing these questions/issues at Americans.

interesting how bono the idealist doesnt get bashed here. i sure did. but then again, i havent made 20+ years of great music that youve come to enjoy... :p

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Bono is neither a politician nor a spiritual leader, even though to a certain extent he dabbles in both.

I will readily admit that Bono is an entertainer first and foremost. However, Bono does FAR, FAR more than "dabble" in politics and spirituality.

You say Bono is no spiritual leader. Let me tell you about our "spiritual leaders." Apparently, it wasn't enough for the right-wing fanatics of this country to actually blame this senseless terrorist attack on former President Clinton and call for the death penalty against him (!). Now we have Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson saying America deserved these attacks. These "spiritual leaders," who should be leading the country in prayer and forgiveness, are actually saying that civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion rights supporters bear partial responsibility for Tuesday's terrorist attacks. Incredible, isn't it?! People who had NOTHING to do with these attacks are actually at fault! I'm astounded by the sheer stupidity of these two men.

Instead of preaching love, these asses are preaching hatred and blame!!
mad.gif
I'm so upset at these morons right now that I wish someone would kill them - for then I would be dancing in the streets at their demise! However, millions of people will throw money at them and nod their heads saying, "Oh yes, you liberals are to blame for this tragedy." Enough is enough. Right wing fanaticism is just as bad as Muslim fundamentalism and must be stamped out in this country.

Now tell me, have you ever heard Bono preach such hatred? Have you ever heard Bono talk against any minority? He has welcomed all with open arms. He has preached peace and love, not hatred and blame. Bono is a FAR superior preacher than Falwell and Robertson will ever be - and God knows this. Bono doesn't pervert God's words for his own profit. Often, he even questions God's actions. Bono's altar is the stage and there he preaches a message of humanity and love. I'd gladly buy every U2 CD twenty times than give a penny to those true devils, Robertson or Falwell.

And as for politics, Bono has done more with Jubilee 2000 than most nations! He has met with leaders of the world to push forward this message of debt forgiveness, creating hope for those in third world countries. Perhaps Bono has never run for office or doesn't have to account for each of his actions, but he's run a far more successful campaign than many politicians in Washington.

So while Bono may not be an American, I very much so would like to hear what he has to say. A person who has experienced this type of terrorist attacks in his own country many times may be the best person to offer advice. And a person who is a far better preacher or politician than some of our "leaders" will most likely offer the most logical and humane advice. Our spiritual and political "leaders" could learn quite a bit from Bono.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-14-2001).]

Obviously none of you has read U2: Until The End OF The World: by Bill Flanagan In there BONO states his disapointment in Europe and the USA for NOT using military force back in 1993 in Bosnia. Two years later NATO finally did launch an airwar over Bosnia for two weeks that brought the war there to an end and led to the introduction of NATO Combat troops to keep the peace! BONO thanked the NATO troops at the POPMART show in 1997. BONO is a lot smarter than some people give him credit and I'm sure in this instance, just as in Bosnia, he will support Military action.

Who cares what Bono thinks, I wonder what Larry has to say about the situation.

- dancing bearfoot

----------------------
this bear likes to tango

Originally posted by STING:
Obviously none of you has read U2: Until The End OF The World: by Bill Flanagan.

To my defense, I don't recall every word of this "U2 Bible."
biggrin.gif
However, the issue discussed there, as you eloquently mentioned in your post, is not the same as the one happening now. That is, would Bono indeed feel the same? Would he want a counter-strike? If so, how much/little?

Bono's comments on Bosnia though are interesting, for he is not the only one to have said this. Bosnia wanted U.S. interference. It strikes me as odd that when the U.S. actually does NOT interfere, they are scolded for holding back. But when they do interfere, they are scolded for being "policemen." It's a lose-lose situation.

I'll be damned if I know how I provoked two angry faces and a rant like that with just that one line.

Good heavens, doctorwho, I agree with some of the points you make, but your anger won't get you anywhere. These are difficult enough times without people on the same side biting each other's heads off.

*dumbfounded*

Originally posted by LuvLady:
I'm pretty sure Bono would not be in favour of military retaliation, as this would undoubtedly result in innocent people ( those not connected to the attack ) losing their lives. I'm sure he would like to see those responsible punished by the courts but I don't think he would want any kind of war to start. I remember reading that he said he would never take anouther man's life for the sake of his country.

PEACE

I was going to say something along those lines.He will not of course agree with what has happened as most of the world don't however I don't think that he would believe a violent retaliation is what he thinks should happen.At Slane he said all armies in the world should be abolished and remember
"And you become a monster so the monster will not break you
It's already gone too far"
Laura.

Originally posted by Klodomir:
I'll be damned if I know how I provoked two angry faces and a rant like that with just that one line.

Good heavens, doctorwho, I agree with some of the points you make, but your anger won't get you anywhere. These are difficult enough times without people on the same side biting each other's heads off.

*dumbfounded*

You are "dumbfounded" because you took my words as an attack against you. I apologize for this as this was not intended. Rather, I was just using your words as a launching pad - a pad to attack people like Robertson and Falwell, two men who SHOULD be leading this country in prayer. love and solidarity, but are instead focusing on blame, hatred and division.

I ask that you please accept my apologies for creating the impression my words were meant to criticize you.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-15-2001).]

"what's it worth....peace on earth"

It may be worth the various sacrifices of every sympathetic world citizen.

I applaud the discussion here in that no matter what Bono personally feels, we have the freedom to express our thoughts.

"what's it worth... peace on earth"

God Bless

I am an idealist too so if you are lashing out at idealists then you have got one more on the list.If everyone was an idealist then the ideals would be reality and the world would be a better place.An American military attack would kill innocent people and would get blown out of proportion until there was a major war all around the world.That is not what we need.The terrorists have most of the world against them.They can't win but hurting innocent people will only gain support for them.The terrorists can be found and punished without hurting the innocent among whom may be children.
sorry if people don't agree but I AM AN IDEALIST and can't help how I feel.Nothing is solved with violence.Look what happened when the terrorists tried.
Laura.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:

They are the best rock band of my lifetime, their music is dear and personal to me.
But their politics concerning America have always been a bit twisted like many people who do not live and do not understand American society, culture and ultimately politics. I agree with some of what they stand for politically, but alot of Americans don't. And before you ask, I did not cheer the Charlton Heston video, nor am I republican or right wing, I just disagree thats all. I know U2 has changed lives, including mine, but not because of their politics, because of their MUSIC.

We here, on Interference, are spouting forth our opinions about this situation. Who are we? Are any of us politicians? People keep saying that Bono is just an entertainer. Well, I feel he is more than that, and since he has first-hand experience with terrorist attacks, I also feel he could provide some valuable input about this tragedy.

I have lived in the U.S. my entire life and I know the politics. If there's any good that will come out of this tragedy it's that it united the U.S. The reason U2 played the anti-gun video is because the U.S. was warring with itself. Perhaps now we will stop killing each other randomly on the streets due to liberal gun laws (ironic how the most conservative people are the most liberal when it comes to gun laws).

In other words, I applauded U2's anti-gun video. And I've been applauding U2's view of the U.S. for a long time. Just like me, they see enormous good in this country - but that good has come at a price. Sometimes it takes an outsider's view to really see the full picture.

As such, I feel that Bono's views would be interesting to hear. Now, I'm not saying we should follow his advice, but I am interested in what he has to say.

I love U2
I love Bono

#1 Bono is an artist, nothing more, as has been said
#2 Bono is Irish, not American, although I am an American of Irish descent, I dont think his opinions weighs anymore than any other Irish citizen.
#3 Regardless of my disagreements with U2 politically which have have happened quite a bit, it does not matter.

They are the best rock band of my lifetime, their music is dear and personal to me.
But their politics concerning America have always been a bit twisted like many people who do not live and do not understand American society, culture and ultimately politics. I agree with some of what they stand for politically, but alot of Americans don't. And before you ask, I did not cheer the Charlton Heston video, nor am I republican or right wing, I just disagree thats all. I know U2 has changed lives, including mine, but not because of their politics, because of their MUSIC.

------------------

I agree doctorwho. I care .....or am interested in what Bono has to say about everything because I have enormous affection and respect for him, not just as a musician but as a person. However his comments on any issue do not carry more weight with me than anyone else's; I am a free-thinking person and I don't just agree with whatever he says.
I don't really know what I feel about military retaliation right now... I go back and forth....I feel like America and the world must stand up and protect what's right, that is freedom and democracy...but the idea of just perpetuating more violence doesn't sit well with me. Killing innocent people ( which is what would happen if America bombed back ) isn't going to bring back the people who were tragically killed in these attacks. I...don't know, I just don't know. I hope everyone can respect that.

Hitman...eliminate the problem, what problem? Fucking nutters? I don't think you can do that. I mean, as someone mentioned in another thread, that would mean attacking a dozen countries. There's dangerous religious extremist everywhere. How can we round up only those who were responsible, it just seems impossible.
frown.gif

UV2001,
I'm an idealist as well who believes in justice and and the defense of civilization. There is such a thing as a JUST war! It is immoral, to sit back and do nothing, and to not take action which saves lives! What you don't understand is that US Military action saves lives by keeping our country and our allies safe and secure. I guess you would not support police in your community killing a person who was in the act of injuring and killing innocent people? I would support any military action against those individuals or States that had anything to do with this terrorist act. We have the right to defend ourselves and attack those before they launch further attacks against our country.

Back
Top Bottom