What do people think the bands reaction to all this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
[elaborate sarcasm]

i think bono's obviously sitting around in his gigantic money bin up on a hill overlooking dublin, diving and swiming through his billions of dollars like he was scrooge mcduck...

mcduck.jpg

selfish prick...

[/elaborate sarcasm]

Brilliant!

MrBrau1 said:
I imagine they're not happy. But it's not as if Bono can wave his hand and fix the glitches. And I doubt they're sitting at a table looking over piles of cash, giggling and wringing their hands saying "Ha! we pulled a nice fast one on the people who buy ALL OUR RECORDS". They must realise this could destroy the bands core fanbase and credibility forever. What they do in the next few day will tell the rest of the story.

I agree but I'm not looking for an apology from the band personally anytime soon.

Cutters10C said:
I'm sure Bono and the rest of the band are not happy to see the way things have gone but what can they do?

they have the power to at least refund everyone's $40 for the website for starters. They have more power than they probably give themselves credit for.

U2dork said:
I agree Mr. Brau. Knowing U2 and their relationship with their fans, I think (if they're aware of what happened) that they're not happy and they may try to do something to help repair the damage done. Of course, that's all if they are told what really happened...
Time will tell...

good point, often bands are kept in the dark of sucj things, very common.

The incident with the fans in the heart at the Boston show is totally different than what happened with this presale.

Someone screwed up and something needs to be done to make it up. I know I mentioned earlier that time will tell but making amends in a timely manner is key here...

edit: and yeah, I'm still wondering if they're aware of the extent of anger in the fan base. I totally envision a conversation like this:

U2member: So, how'd the presale go?
Mangement: Well, there was a slight glitch but we're working things out...
U2member: Ah,well, OK then...
Conversation moves on...

Last edited:
Amazing the vigorous defense many of you will put up for a band/corporation that just royally screwed us, when they haven't even bothered to try to defend it themselves.

This is like "battered spouse syndrome" where you're being repeatedly abused but telling everyone "but they really love me". Snap out of it already. I've got news for you, U2 probably have less respect for your blind loyalty than I do.

By the way, I have fewer than 50 posts, may I still speak? Or, will this incur the wrath of you learned scholars of U2ology as well?

Knuckle said:
Amazing the vigorous defense many of you will put up for a band/corporation that just royally screwed us, when they haven't even bothered to try to defend it themselves.

This is like "battered spouse syndrome" where you're being repeatedly abused but telling everyone "but they really love me". Snap out of it already. I've got news for you, U2 probably have less respect for your blind loyalty than I do.

By the way, I have fewer than 50 posts, may I still speak? Or, will this incur the wrath of you learned scholars of U2ology as well?

The presale never guaranteed anyone GA tickets. "Best Available" is relative. If you think it did, I'd like to sell you some real estate in Brooklyn. A bridge.

(By the way, I have fewer than 50 posts, may I still speak? Or, will this incur the wrath of you learned scholars of U2ology as well?)

OMG me too!! But im a lurker :)
If I was in a band who was this big, I would make sure everyone who complained would get
1. A REFUND :cool:

2. Unlimited Backstage passes :wink:
3. A Night Out On The Town With Choice of Member
4. A New Mansion (CHOICE OF CITY)
Ok Ok

Just the first one would be a start and acceptable. I do thing the band cares what people think , of course they do. Wouldn't you?

Chow!
KIM

This happens every tour. There are always people who don't get tickets, freak out, swear they're done with U2, start planning bizarre protest campaigns, etc. It's all just silly.

I made 5 friends sign up for fan club membership, and we were all gunning for San Diego GA tickets. Three of us each got a pair, so we've got 6 total -- enough for all of us to line up and get in the oval. It was nerve-wracking but not that hard. As soon as we realized the link on U2.com mapped to ticketmaster.com, we just went there directly instead and signed up and got tickets that way. *shrug*

my guess is that band doesn't really give two shits. in order to attract a wider, younger audience you sell out to certain degree. i'm surprised that propaganda lasted as long as it did. but a few months ago when it was announced that even current propaganda members who have to pay up to keep their memberships it smelled rotten to the core. they cashed in to the max....they successfully hosed us all. congrats on a good screwing over. the band is well aware of anything that brings in that much revenue. 100,000 members x $40.00 that's not too shabby. Nice little profit. Maybe $5.00 of that goes into running the site and the key chain gift. and you can bet that they are aware of the bad press. i am sure that they get daily press clippings. But why would they care...the cash is in the bank. And there's nothing they can do to change what has happened...people paid a lot of money to get to sit in the nosebleed sections...you can't just reverse all of those purchases and you can't offer others good seats because you've successfully sold crappy seats. I'm betting that we won't hear word one from the band. I just say we all wear "I got fucked by U2.com" tee shirts to all the shows. I would think that Bono would get tired of seeing that in the front row night after night. But it's a beautiful day, don't let it get away, right?

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

The presale never guaranteed anyone GA tickets. "Best Available" is relative. If you think it did, I'd like to sell you some real estate in Brooklyn. A bridge.

Oh, you are a clever one MrBrau1. Is there any limit to your excuses for this U2 corporation? If U2 offered to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, no doubt you would try to buy it and then blame yourself for not being a good enough fan if they didn't deliver (while all the while singing the praises of U2). Can't you see anything just simply wrong about what they've been doing lately? Why do you insist on abusing fans who are justifiably upset about being (and I'll say it politely) completely misled.

I disagree with you totally on what the presale promised. True, exact seat numbers were not promised before-hand. But in order to separate each of us from our $40 membership fee, they sure set forth some extraordinarily enticing language.

Check out this language from U2log.com that states the case rather simply:
Oh, sure, U2.com memberships include benefits like a "special introductory gift"..."a U2.com email address"..."members-only message boards"...and so forth. But let's face it: No one opened their wallet for that stuff. And the powers-that-be know it. In every sales pitch for a U2.com membership, the first benefit listed was always "priority ticketing" for the 2005 tour.

And that's the problem here, isn't it? They kept tossing around phrases like "being a U2.Com Member offers you guaranteed priority booking" (from a mid-December email), "membership also qualifies you for priority booking of concert tickets" (late November email), and "U2.Com have secured some of the best available tickets for U2.Com Subscribers" (currently stated on U2.com). And let's not forget the promise made to former Propaganda members: "Propaganda subscribers who join U2.Com go straight to the front of the line when the concert tickets are made available." (late November email)

For me, a former Propaganda member, the fact that I could not get a single ticket at all, this is an exceptionally bitter experience. My last Prop membership was 100% paid up, but only 50% satisfied, when they decided to trash the entire operation. Their solution for making me whole? Offer me the opportunity to spend $20 more dollars to claim what they already owed me. If I didn't want to take them up on their offer, no other option was presented. It was simply the end of Propaganda and my active unfulfilled membership.

So, I took the bait and joined U2.com. I was there at 10 am with my high-speed internet connection for the presale. True, for several minutes I tried for GA tickets. They were sold out instantly. Then I switched to "best available". On the first two occasions I was offered upper upper deck in the last rows at the back of the arena. (I turned these down thinking clearly there was some mistake given what I was promised.) When I tried again and again everything else was sold out in minutes (even the nosebleed/obstructed view seats). So, I have nothing.

By the way, "best available" is not "relative" given what we were promised. My problem with this misleading ticket advertising goes back to the Elevation tour. Prop members were offered (months before the tour started and before anyone knew what the stage design or "heart" was) GA tickets at $50; or, we were offered, and I quote exactly, "a very limited number of Golden Circle seats" at $130. Based on that heavenly description and price, I shelled out the $130 thinking these must be truly special seats.

Do you know where my "Golden Circle" seats were? At the very back of the arena, lower level, last row. Thirteen years earlier, for the Joshua Tree tour, I paid $15 for that exact seat long before joining Propaganda.

Can you appreciate my frustration?

Re: Re: Re: What do people think the bands reaction to all this is?

Hawk269 said:

Which other bands? Since when is U2 held to such a low standard? That's bull. AND Pearl Jam treats their fans 1000 times better than this. Go join their fan club and you will actually get good tickets to their shows. Not this garbage. Maybe Bono and the Edge should learn something from Eddie Vedder.

Eddie Vedder is a decent artist but a b player compared to Bono.

Comparing Pearl Jam to U2 is like comparing
a Vespa Moped to a Harley Davidson, particularly with all of U2's non musical, humanitaran efforts outside the music.

I'm sure this gives Eddie and Co ample oppurtunity to be more focused on demanding fans.

Give me a break.
Thanks for the laugh.

:wink:

peace,
db9

boston said:
(By the way, I have fewer than 50 posts, may I still speak? Or, will this incur the wrath of you learned scholars of U2ology as well?)

OMG me too!! But im a lurker :)
If I was in a band who was this big, I would make sure everyone who complained would get
1. A REFUND :cool:

2. Unlimited Backstage passes :wink:
3. A Night Out On The Town With Choice of Member
4. A New Mansion (CHOICE OF CITY)
Ok Ok

Just the first one would be a start and acceptable. I do thing the band cares what people think , of course they do. Wouldn't you?

Chow!
KIM

Hi Kim
:)
Dave

What's 4 million dollars to the band?- 2 shows. I think they care and after this bad press hits the major papers today, they will refund our money. I am probably wrong but I believe this will happen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do people think the bands reaction to all this is?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i believe perhaps someone here might have been involved in the boston "fiasco"

no names mentioned, of course... no names mentioned...

Headache-
Were talking about Boston 2 not Boston 4 :angry:

Originally posted by MalahideChick

You know what your "friend" may say they were there but they clearly weren't within earshot. I was there and that is not what happened at all. Bono "trying to console" the two girls, ahahaha! Don't make me laugh. Those girls were upset by Bono and U2's actions at Boston 2 and he was making it quite plain that he gave not two sh*ts about their feelings. Too upset to argue back others were trying to make a case on their behalf.

The people who were at Boston 2 haven't been surprised by this pre-sale fiasco at all. They saw through the the U2 corporate machine a long time ago

Well Ms. MalahideChick

With all due respect-

My Shane aka Boston Bono was standing within 2 feet of Bono and has perfect hearing and is a credible person.

We're speaking of the LA twins, Im sure you know that, and yes Bono was stern with them and even extra sterner to Irish woman that was butting in.

Thats the story I recieved 1st hand from Shane.

If you want to set the record straight for us according to what you witnessed please do so, by all means.

peace,
diamond

Last edited:
(Hi Kim

Dave)

Hello sweets! lol :wink:

Posted by Knuckle
And that's the problem here, isn't it? They kept tossing around phrases like "being a U2.Com Member offers you guaranteed priority booking" (from a mid-December email),

Back of the stage to see thier bums is that a priority seat? I hope so ;) I totally agree with you Sir.

I sent 2 letters to U2.com, 2 faxes to PM, 2 phone calls to other "orgagnizations" just for a small response, any response....:eyebrow: ....and they aren't talking yet, because I bet they are having meetings about what to do.
So comon band , someone...react!! :)

MrBrau1 said:
What is it, like 16 US shows? With approx. 1,700 GA seats for each show? That's 27,200 GA seats. According to a post I read about TM rules regarding artist presales, U2 can only make 10% available, that knocks it down to 2,720 GA seats. Some of which Paul M said were going to radio give aways, say 10%. That leaves 2,448 seats for the presale, or 153 per show.

It's too bad Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam and Paul McGuinness are too catastrophically stupid to do simple math MrBrau1.

Axver said:
When all the chaos began ensuing, I thought "this is going to give people like jick, ponkine, U2_Guy, and rjhbonovox even more ammunition." This thread has proven me right.

The problem isn't that it's providing them with ammunition. The problem is that it strongly suggests that they have a point with some of their criticism.

boston said:

I sent 2 letters to U2.com, 2 faxes to PM, 2 phone calls to other "orgagnizations" just for a small response, any response....:eyebrow: ....and they aren't talking yet, because I bet they are having meetings about what to do.
So comon band , someone...react!! :)

To be honest, i don't expect a statement from the band or their management/ organization anytime soon, if at all. If U2 says something (even if its apologetic) at this point where people are still sifting through the rubble of what happened, then they could be opening themselves to even more potential headaches (i.e. massive refunds, lawsuits (frivolous or not), etc. Besides, I believe U2 or the corporation of U2 is prone to try to sweep things under the table or ignore things as if it didn't happen. It's happened before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do people think the bands reaction to all this is?

diamond said:
My Shane aka Boston Bono was standing within 2 feet of Bono and has perfect hearing and is a credible person.

We're speaking of the LA twins, Im sure you know that, and yes Bono was stern with them and even extra sterner to Irish woman that was butting in.

Well his hearing can't have been that good because there was no Irish woman there.

I did not deny Bono was stern. In fact he was aggressive, rude, and patronising. What I objected to in your original post was your support for Bono's behaviour. He was in the wrong. Those girls were not asking for an apology, they were simply wanting to know whether they, as fans, were no longer valued by the band. They got their answer loud and clear.

And it's the answer we're ALL getting this week. Just look at u2log today. There is a revolt in the air.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do people think the bands reaction to all this is?

All this situation makes me feel so sad. Why U2 can`t apologize ? I mean, they`re people, not untoachable Gods. They recognized Rattle and Hum was a mistake, but all this is a far worst situation:ohmy:

they really have dissapointed me:sad:

U2.com had Ticketmaster apologizing. McGuiness apologized for the troubles with New York tickets on U2.com. They are not being quiet about it.

Back
Top Bottom