What do people see in this band??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Se7en:
yes, my deepest sympathies to you as well...

"what drive is my cd rom again? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, or X? Oh wait, I have a Mac. The cd is right there on the desktop."
biggrin.gif

Ah...so Macs are for people who can't comprehend such difficult things as different drives?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
Creed Blows.

Scott Stapp is an egomaniac who clearly fucks with his voice to sound like Eddie Vedder.

Their music is uninspired, dull and belongs in the catch-all category of Butt-rock.

My 2 cents.

That is the single most intelligent thing I've read all night.

Now go put on your helmet and catch the short bus.
icon41.gif

------------------
The numeral 7

Now go put on your helmet and catch the short bus.
icon41.gif

Don't make fun of people on the "short bus".

------------------
"I don't know you,

Creed Blows.

Scott Stapp is an egomaniac who clearly fucks with his voice to sound like Eddie Vedder.

Their music is uninspired, dull and belongs in the catch-all category of Butt-rock.

My 2 cents.

AMEN!

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

Yes, basically.
biggrin.gif

(and if you like pretty colors)

I'll just paint mine...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

I'm not exactly a big fan of creed but I wouldn't say they're bad. I certainly don't think creed sounds like Pearl Jam either, where did that come from? I think the only reason people diss Creed is because they get so much airplay. If they were not well known then half of the people on this board would be running around talking about how great creed is. or maybe not, i dont know just a theory.

As someone who has studied vocal technique for over nine years, i know what im talking about. Scott Stapp clearly has horrible vocal technique. He clearly, in my educated opinion, manipulates his voice to get the sound he does in a way that is ugly technically and aesthetically.

So, I know what the fuck im talking about when i say it.

The last comment about music is my personal tastes. Poor lyrics, unoriginal music and sounds. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by mercedesbox:
I'm not exactly a big fan of creed but I wouldn't say they're bad. I certainly don't think creed sounds like Pearl Jam either, where did that come from? I think the only reason people diss Creed is because they get so much airplay. If they were not well known then half of the people on this board would be running around talking about how great creed is. or maybe not, i dont know just a theory.

finally, someone sensible!

------------------
The numeral 7

You're right...I don't like it that Creed gets so much airplay...

I get sick of having to change stations all of the time.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

As someone who has studied vocal technique for over nine years, i know what im talking about. Scott Stapp clearly has horrible vocal technique. He clearly, in my educated opinion, manipulates his voice to get the sound he does in a way that is ugly technically and aesthetically.

So, I know what the fuck im talking about when i say it.

Ok, so he has poor technique...to me it sounds as though he is singing w/ his natural voice. Especially since he doesn't even sound like Vedder.

------------------
The numeral 7

S'long as no one bashes Pearl Jam I'm fine. I can see how some people may think Creed is a Pearl Jam duplicate, but honestly, I think Vedder is to unique to touch (and McReady
smile.gif
). So no, I think they do not sound alike.

A court is in session, a verdict is in
No appeal on the docket today
Just my own sin
The walls are cold and pale
The cage made of steel
Screams fill the room
Alone I drop and kneel
Silence now the sound
My breath the only motion around
Demons cluttering around
My face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance
My skin begins to burn

but they ain't here anymore
don't have to settle the score
'cause we all live under the reign of one king

wink.gif
G'night folks!

------------------
The numeral 7

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 11-17-2001).]

When I first heard Creed backin 1997/1998, I really did think it was Pearl Jam. The vocals on that first album sound very similar to a lot of Vedders early work with Pearl Jam. The music sort of follows as well. The next album got more away from that though, much more mainstream sounding. I don't think you should take offense to someone saying that sound like Pearl Jam. I think most people would take that as a compliment. Stone Temple Pilots first couple of albums sounded similar to Pearl Jam as well.
Oh, the only reason U2 were not viewed as classics when WAR came out was because at that time no one new who they were yet. They had not recieved a BILLION plays on mainstream radio and sold 15 million copies of its first two albums, and their video's were not played back to back on MTV.
In fact, when U2 first started, MTV did not exist! Mainstream Radio normaly would not play very much rock music especially what was considered alternative. Against these odds, U2 built a following through the power of their live shows, the only way they could get their music out at that time. In time radio stations wanted to know who this band was that was selling out Madison Square Garden without any mainstream radio airplay!
U2 gained its audiance and reputation because they were an incredible live band, not because record executives and Radio DJs picked the first album and played it a billion times to a captive public.

*UGH* I honestly can't stand CREED! They annoy me to no end!
icon24.gif

And about them sounding like Pearl Jam I don't see it either! I dunno! I cringe at the comparison to Pearl Jam! LOL Sorry PJ are my second fav band!
wink.gif

------------------
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life.
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
but why, why, why can't it be, oh, can't it be mine?

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I do agree that Scott Stapp tries to pull of a sound similar to Eddie Vedder's baritone

however musically, Creed sounds nothing like Pearl Jam, and the lyrics Stapp writes are nothing like the lyrics Vedder writes

If those lyrics are Creed lyrics, then I don't much like Creed lyrics. seems like high school poetry to me.

Ok, so he has poor technique...to me it sounds as though he is singing w/ his natural voice. Especially since he doesn't even sound like Vedder.

Actually, Se7en, you are being a bit hypocritical here. This is YOUR opinion - I think there are many of us who do feel that Stapp sounds like (and even looks like) Vedder.

It's Stapp's vocals that ruin Creed for me. Every so often, I hear his "real" voice in the song and I think, "There it is! Use *that* voice - it sounds so good!" But then he reverts to this rather fake sounding voice. He sounds most like when Adam Sandler tries to do a fake heavy metal voice.

Vedder's vocals are more real - this is how Vedder sounds; whereas, Stapp's seemed forced. A lead singer can truly make/break a band. Obviously most people like Stapp's singing. I am borderline. I think I *could* like Creed if Stapp changed his singing style some.

Also, the songs are a bit melodramatic. This is where the U2 similarities come in. Stapp seems to also be personifying Bono circa 1987. As seen by Creed's success, clearly this style is working, but unlike U2 - who lyrically are more subtle (U2 hit you over the head with their meanings in concert) - Creed is more blatant. Does this make them bad? Of course not - but I often like lyrics that are more open to interpretation (Bono's work perfectly).

I liked the hits off of "Human Clay" so I was curious about this next album. I've only heard "My Sacrifice" so far and haven't been impressed. Maybe it will grow on me.

Ehh...I can't stand Creed at all. Just my opinion, and I don't think they sound like Pearl Jam. I'm not really a Pearl Jam fan either, and, quite honestly, I think they've slipped into repetitiveness themselves, but they did have their moments of greatness.

Creed just is in the realm of monotony. Every song I've heard of them sounds exactly the same, and, personally, I can't stand the vocals. Stapp's voice does nothing for me, and their lyrics border proselytization.

To those who do like Creed, great (Krasno!). More power to you. I listen to music that certainly rattles a few heads in themselves (i.e., I like Alanis Morrisette's live music), so I'm not going to condemn those who choose to listen to music that I personally don't like. At least Creed doesn't contribute to the degeneration of music like Britney Spears or boy bands.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 11-18-2001).]

Hey Se7en, here's someone who agrees with you. I like Creed.

*ducks from the rotten fruit*

I'll agree that they're a bit melodramatic, and Stapp is not the best vocalist in the world, but they're the only other rock band I can think of that truly "fuck up the mainstream" like U2. Radiohead and Pearl Jam just don't care if they're successful, which is unbelieveably selfish with the state of rock today. Creed wanna win, much like U2. They want to be the best band in the world. I think that in itself is commendable. And hey, I think they make entertaining music, and in a few years might even make great music.

Just my opinion.

I think for Creed to take it to the next level, they have to step outside of their comfort zone. Show some balls! It just doesn't seem like they're willing to do that so far.

That whole Joshua Tree statement really pissed me off. If Creed's goal was for their new album to be their version of the Joshua Tree, they have already failed. Their new single will not come close to the success that With Or Without You(U2's 1st single off of JT) had.

I think they have potential, but are very overrated.

------------------
The one and only!

creed are like the new version of hootie and the blowfish, just a bit heavier.

they just sound like college frat boy rock.

they're not doing anything new, not re inventing the wheel or anything with their music, they're just successful because they write easily accessable music.

and hey maybe most of their fans relate to the music they write.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom