What do other musicians say about U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I always like hearing U2 mentioned by other bands/musicians. It's interesting to hear their thoughts on U2's concerts, music, alubms, influence, etc.

What are some of the quotes you've heard?

"They're still the best band in the world." Billy Corgan of the ex Smashing pumpkins, after Irving Plaza.

I remember seeing a MTV clip of Michael Stipe talking about how they took an older song to present their Best of "We got the idea from a band I really like, U2 and how they remade the Sweetest thing. As a fan, I didn't know the song, I loved it and so we went back through our older songs and Bad day just blared through the speakers. I never intented it to be political but that's how it came out." (or something like that)

From Testimony: 20 years of Rock on MTV, Anthony Kiedis of Red hot chili peppers: "Those guys are amazing, I mean they've been around longer than us and they're still going strong."

Lars Ulrich from Metallica (also from Testimony on MTV): "I think Achtung Baby is one of the best rock albums ever made."

3 doors down or Incubus, I'm not sure (also Testimony): "They're cool, they have a great singer and a very good guitar player."

I know a lot of famous music colleagues saw them during ATYCLB promo shows or Elevation tour: REM (Stipe and Mills), two members of Radiohead at the Astoria club show, members of Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello...
I don't know about other bands but I think they're friends/fans of REM and Radiohead for sure.

At @u2.com, there's a subpage called "fans", featuring some fans.

From REM - I think it was Mike Mills - when asked about U2: "We're so proud of them. Our goal when we record is to make a better album than U2."

"I'm a big fan of U2. I've been a fan for about 10 years," (Tom)Morello said. "When I first moved out to Los Angeles I had this really horrible job. I was a filing clerk. I alphabetized eight hours a day all by myself and the bosses were very cruel and I was super poor, making sub-minimum wage, and I had one tape, and it was [U2's] The Unforgettable Fire. I was listening to that for hours and hours, day after day, month after month to really help me get through that time. In that music there's so much hope and so much passion, it helped me transcend that mundane, grim, crappy experience and I've been a fan since then."-mtv.com

The guitarist and singer of Linkin Park are fans.

No Doubt

If you've seen Vh1's "I love the 80's" series, for 1987,

Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20.

Hootie of Hootie and the blowfish.

Sammy Haggar.

Wycleff Jean. "there were a lot of bands in the 80's, getting the girls, getting the mansions, but U2 were one of the few during that period that stood for somethig." not exact, but as close as I remember.

I read in U2 At The End of the World that Miles Davis used to listen to The Unforgettable Fire during his last illness. That's an incredible tribute to the band, since there's hardly any 20th century musician more revered than Davis.

Scott Stapp from Creed said his favorite ablum is the Joshua Tree. and Raine Maida from Our lady Peace said his favorite song is SBS. also, i met Matt Good and specifically asked him if he liked U2- he said "FOR SURE", he remembers the first u2 show he saw was back during the WAR tour. Lastly, at the toronto elevation show i saw Jeff Martin from Tea Party in the crowd.

U2girl said:

3 doors down or Incubus, I'm not sure (also Testimony): "They're cool, they have a great singer and a very good guitar player."

At @u2.com, there's a subpage called "fans", featuring some fans.

Can they be any more vague :shifty:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom