What do Johnny Cash fans think of "The Wanderer"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I'm curious as to what the thoughts are...anybody know any hard core Cash fans? Is "The Wanderer" well known among them? If so, what do they think of it?

I would find this very interesting especially since The Wanderer is of the Zooropa "vibe" with strange, sonic sounds and landscapes. I think this song could be troubling to Cash fans, but I could be wrong, I don't really know any.

I've never been a Johnny Cash fan per se, and The Wanderer is not my favorite song, but I have to say the more I listen to U2 doing this song the more I like it.

I would describe myself as a longtime Cash fan rather than a "hard core" one, but no, I never found his appearance there strange. And actually, I thought the whole feel of it was very much in line with a lot of his own greatest work--sparse, plaintive, and brooding, with themes of sin and betrayal and redemption. Cash was never one to stick to a formula anyway; trying on different roles and personas was right up his alley.

I've grown up on Cash, even lived in Hendersonville, TN, across the lake from him. I liked Cash before I liked U2, seeing as how I was pretty much always having to hear Cash tunes because of my mom.

There's a reason The Wanderer made the recent "Legend Of Johnny Cash" best of compilation. It really is an excellent track for him, one of my favorites for sure. I prefer the original Cash version to the tribute one any day, Cash's vocals MAKE that song. It's undeniably Johnny and holds up with his finest work.

yolland, IMP, I completely agree with both of you. :up:

I would like the version with Bono vocals better, had it not been for Edge's "waa-waa-waa..." part. The song is meant to be stark, and that ruins it, IMO.

VintagePunk said:

I would like the version with Bono vocals better, had it not been for Edge's "waa-waa-waa..." part. The song is meant to be stark, and that ruins it, IMO.

Definitely. What on earth possessed Edge to do that?

:barf:

VintagePunk said:

i think it's a great, great song, one of Bono's best lyrics, and i had an interesting reaction to the "waa-waa's" -- i thought they were gorgeous and i think open up new possibilities for Edge's voice, yet you're right, they didn't fit the song.

I'd put my vote for the waaa-waaa-waaa-waaaa-wonderer vocals. Although I prefer the album version, Edge's vocals are a 50s throwback. :drool:

I am a hardcore Johnny Cash fan (note that he is the only country singer i ever listen to and 98% of other country singers disgrace him). The Wanderer isn;t really a big Johny Cash song but is a very good one. Probably my favorite Johnny Cash songs and it makes it to my top 10 songs of all time.

Back
Top Bottom