what did you think when you first heard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was already head over heels with U2 when I heard Pop for the first time, so I was a bit biased. I had remembered Discoteque from radio days in 1997 when I was 14 and hated the song, and had a vague memory of SATS which I thought was pretty fine.

I appreciated Pop when I heard it all, which would have been - 2001? By that time I knew what it was they were trying to achieve with the album so that made it better - if I thought they were being completely serious and trying to be cool with it, then I wouldn't have liked it. But I realised it was a parody of "Pop" music and that was ok with me.

There were, and still are, some standout tracks for me. SATS of course is one of them. Please is another and is one of my top U2 songs. Wake up Dead Man is brilliant, without a doubt. Do you feel loved is another favourite, and Gone is super, and Last Night on Earth is great ... and I even like Discoteque now!

Miami though is crap and always will be for me, and I'm not too keen on Velvet Dress. Though I changed my mind about Playboy mansion and now like it, so anything is possible.

Pop - oustanding album and outstanding tour, both underated. The highlights for me are Mofo - pure adrenalin rush of a song, Velvet Dress - beautifully understated, Gone - soaring and brilliant vocal from Bono and Do You Feel Loved - great lyrics and groove. In many ways I think Pop is a better album than All You Can't Leave Behind.
U2 themselves are too hard on this album and I can't understand why.

DISCOTHEQUE:
one of the worst u2 songs ever. my first impression was: "what the hell is this crap..?" on popmart the song was great esp. the distorted guitar intro. don't like the song these days.

DYFL:
first impression was: "nice song and nice melody", but soon the song became really boring, no balls...lalalalalala

MOFO:
first impression: wow a monster of a song then and today

IGWSHA:
first impression:wonderful song. today its okay but none of the outstanding songs.

SATS:
at first listening i compared it with one of the BEATLES songs George Harrisson playin the lead guitar. i enjoyed the song. but today i believe its one of u2s most overrated songs.

LNOE:
i really hate the song from the first moment. crap music with bonos voice at its uttermost lowest level.

GONE:
from the very first moment i was addicted. i also love the version on the BEST OF. classic live version.

MIAMI:
my first impression was: hey this is cool. during POPMART it was one of the highlight of the setlist...the palms on the screen and the hypnotic play. i still believe MYMAMMY is a great experimental song and one of the very few highlights on POP

THE PLAYBOY MANSION:
it was and it is an okay song with great fooling lyrics

IYWTVD:
first impression: sexy song with jazzy feeling and its a good background song for the special hours/minutes;-))

PLEASE:
i really liked the song from the start. but today its one of the tracks i don't know what they lack.

WUDM:
one of the better songs on POP with good lyrics

conclusion:
three great songs: mofo, gone, miami...three bad songs: discotheque, do you feel loved, last night on earth and the rest is average. ***(3) out of *****(5)

when i listened to discoth?que the first time, it made me feel that everything i have listened until then was made at least two centuries ago. it was a great feeling

At first i thought that i purchased the wrong CD, untill i heard Bono's high vocals!

I thought it was different, kinda wierd and a total differnt side to U2 that i havent heard before!

I LOVE THE POP ALBUM THOUGH, AS WELL AS THE OTHERS! :wink:

I DONT AGREE WITH YOU LILAC! THEY ARE MINT EVEN IF THEY WERE 99! THEY WERE ONLY HAVEIN SOME FUN! NO POINT BEING SERIOUS ALL OF THE TIME! :huh:

Pop was my first U2 album to get excited about as a fan. Speculation, single, and rumors, like what were doing for Vertigo now. I started becoming a U2 freak in '96 and I first heard Discotheque on the radio. I was blown away by the bass n drums and dance influences. A week before the album came out they aired a 1 hour show on the radio (which I heard on accident) which played Playboy Mansion, If God..., Velvet Dress, Mofo, and Staring at the Sun. I was so pump to hear these songs before they came out. Also, the same radio station was playing LNOE and Gone. I still went at midnight to purchase the album and loved everything about it. I even went to Vegas opening night. Even though it was kind of raw I still had a blast and enjoyed the show. I love the Pop era as it has a place in my heart. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom