What country has the WORST U2 fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could I be the first to point out on this thread that the USA isn't a country. thanx.

(or is it?)

(and I don't think the vatican is either)

The USA is SO a country, if you are talking about continents,all of North America is a continent not just the USA..........Australia however IS a continent which makes us "Aussies" immune to this thread also!

And for the record ....YES....The Vatican City is a country,the worlds smallest one!!!:yes:

fly so high! said:
The USA is SO a country, if you are talking about continents,all of North America is a continent not just the USA..........Australia however IS a continent which makes us "Aussies" immune to this thread also!

And for the record ....YES....The Vatican City is a country,the worlds smallest one!!!:yes:

I thought Australasia was the continent, and the USA was an amalgamation of states, and that the vatican was a province or something.

I must have a pre 1950's map

fly so high! said:
Australia however IS a continent which makes us "Aussies" immune to this thread also!
Wrong. Oceania is the continent, which contains Australia, New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. Australia is a country.

And I have to agree with the USA having the worst fans. From the concert videos I've watched, American fans are least enthusiastic.

WalkOn21 said:

Wrong. Oceania is the continent, which contains Australia, New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. Australia is a country.

And I have to agree with the USA having the worst fans. From the concert videos I've watched, American fans are least enthusiastic.

Actually, you're wrong. Australia is the continent. Oceania is the regional grouping. New Zealand (which is part of no continent) straddles a fault line and sits half on the Australian tectonic plate and half on some other plate that I forget the name of but probably has an uncreative name like the South Pacific plate. My home city, Wellington, is literally directly above this fault line.

Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia are island groupings.

(From here on, I think I'm replying solely to Ellay.)

I have generally understood Australasia to be a slightly outdated term used to refer to Australia, New Zealand, and if you feel like it, the Pacific Islands too.

The USA is definitely a country, though it consists of states. Australia also consists of states but no-one's saying it's not a country. Australia is the only country that's also a continent.

The Vatican City is indeed independent and fly so high! is correct in saying it's the world's smallest country.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Actually, you're wrong. Australia is the continent. Oceania is the regional grouping.
Depends on your atlas. Some geographers think of Oceania as a continent, others think of it as just a name for the region.

In fact here in The Netherlands it was taught to me as being a continent. Further, Wikipedia tells us In Canada, the government-approved Atlas of Canada names 7 continents and teaches Oceania instead of Australia.

How you call it depends on where you live, I suppose.

My (now increasingly confused!) understanding was that Australia is a continental plate and is the only country in the world to take up a whole continental plate for itself. So in a physical sense Australia is a continent however in a political one it isn't and Oceania (which is thankfully a heck of a lot easier to spell than Australasia) is the political continent to which it belongs. :huh: I guess a lot of this comes down to how you interpret the word 'continent'. If you think of a continent as being a group of countries on the same continental plate does this mean that you'd regard Asia and Europe as 'regional groupings', not continents, because they're both on the massive Eurasian plate??? Perhaps though in Oceania's case 'regional grouping' is a more appropriate term as they do seem to be a group of very distinct and separate countries in comparison to the other continents of the world.

TheQuiet1 said:
My (now increasingly confused!) understanding was that Australia is a continental plate and is the only country in the world to take up a whole continental plate for itself.

...which is a load of misinformed crap. However, I'll leave it up as some people may need a laugh. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom