What could U2 do to top the Achtung Baby reinvention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the 80s, they took themselves too seriously, in the 90s they made fun of themselves...

What's next...

Do they insult themselves? Degrade themselves somehow?

roy said:

But wouldn't changing, yet again, be sooo predictable? :wink:

No not really, they haven't changed it up since the end of POPMart. Which was spring 1998. 7+ years later......

I think a change at this point (in a few years of course) will be more than welcome.

Think about it this way. New album (2007?, at the earliest) by the time they hit the road to tour and support for album #12, it will have been TEN YEARS since the end of POPmart. Feel old yet? I do.

I don't think we're talking about Bono suddenly showing up with a pink mohawk here and them suddenly making thrash-core music or whatever.

I just want them to 'act their age', particularly Bono. Adam is leading the way - and he was always a step ahead in that regard. Chill the f*ck out, make some great, great music. F*ck the kids, they're not going to follow no matter how hard you try. F*ck the charts, they're never coming back no matter how hard you try. Go off into the deep end again.

Earnie Shavers said:
I don't think we're talking about Bono suddenly showing up with a pink mohawk here and them suddenly making thrash-core music or whatever.

I just want them to 'act their age', particularly Bono. Adam is leading the way - and he was always a step ahead in that regard. Chill the f*ck out, make some great, great music. F*ck the kids, they're not going to follow no matter how hard you try. F*ck the charts, they're never coming back no matter how hard you try. Go off into the deep end again.

Exactly. :up:

Earnie Shavers said:

But where does the band go after Bomb?

Vertigo is reminiscent of Boy...

So does this mean the next album is October/War?

(what is so creative about atyclb and htdaab???
it sounds like any other band ! say COLDPLAY!!
IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO BACK TO YOUR OWN SOUND(U2) at least make it fun and interesting!!
not some adultcontempary/pop tunes !! so they can be on the radio and make alot of $$$ ! well then fuck you)
Shauvox

(With that statement, you lose your credibility. You could make a case for 1984-1988, you could make a case for 1990-1998(my pick), but to say that 2005 U2 is at its creative peak is ridiculous. It's like saying Michael Jordan was in his prime when he played for the Washington Wizards circa 2001-2003 - when in reality he was at minimum five years past his peak.)
Namkcur

Shaunvox: U2 sounds like Coldplay or Coldplay sounds like U2?
Isn't U2 sound interesting for you?
what are you doing here?
How old are you infant?

Namkcur: Are you comparing U2 (2000-2005) to Jordan's Wizards era?
Creativity has nothing to to with age or physical condition you loser......your comparision is way off reality
haha....U2 (05) is just like Jordan (01-03).....
Maybe the stupidiest thing I have read in a long time

Both of you should get lost with your JT and AB CD's.......get out
:madspit:

theu2fly said:

But where does the band go after Bomb?

Vertigo is reminiscent of Boy...

So does this mean the next album is October/War?

Umm, how about... forwards? What on earth is wrong with forwards?

I wouldn't compare U2 to Wizards-era Jordan. To use a basketball analogy, U2 albums were all double overtime in Game 7 of a Championship series, now they're All Star Games.

Great thread... I do think it's time for U2 to change their image. Or at least, soon. But I think I'm different than a lot of you in that I just see the current U2 as another shift in direction. I don't think they're taking steps backwards. Yes, they returned to the classic U2 sound, but they brought a new twist to it. Like them or not, songs like Stuck in a Moment, In a Little While, Love and Peace or Else, and Original of the Species are really different than anything they've ever done. And as much as I LOVE Pop and 90's U2, I'm glad U2 shifted gears. They needed to re-apply for the position of Biggest Band in the World, as Bono said. Well, they were successful on that venture - twice over, in fact. So now it's time for U2 to re-apply for Best Band in the World. Not that their current work hasn't been up to par, HTDAAB is one of their best albums imo and certainly their greatest collection of songs in that there's really no weak track. But now U2 need to prove they can be innovative again, they can change...and I want them to make an album. ATYCLB was somewhat of an album, but HTDAAB...the songs are good, but it just doesn't work as an album. It feels like a collection of songs. A greatest hits album. It doesn't have the atmosphere of Pop, Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire... those albums create a whole little world, you know? They take you to another place.

I do think U2 is headed in a new direction, but they may have one more album with the current sound. Perhaps something in the vein of HTDAAB, but a little less pop, a little more rock, more raw, and more stuff like Mercy. Mercy isn't experimental so much as it is U2 just being U2. One could argue that's what they've been doing for the last two albums, but the band has obviously felt the need to produce radio-friendly songs. Some of the songs worked beautifully, some seemed a little forced. Mercy, on the other hand, just seems so effortless - not in that they're not trying, but in that they're not desperately trying to come up with a hit single with the chorus thirty seconds in. Not that I have a problem with short catchy songs, but there's something to be said for epics.

It was Larry who suggested that they take Mercy off the album, but Larry also said in the Mojo article a few months ago that U2 would experiment again. So I'm thinking Mercy will be on the next album which will complete the current trilogy but be a little less commercial and a little more of an actual album. I also predict that the new album will be released sooner than people think, either 2006 or early 2007... U2's gotta stop with this four years between albums business. That's just too fucking long. I know they're terrified of releasing an "unfinished" album like Pop, but really I think that they overthink things and overproduce and take some of the life out of songs - for the most part I thought the 2003 recordings were better than what ended up on the album.

Anyway, after they release the new album, they'll probably do a major shift in direction. At that point they'll be in their late 40s and hopefully will have come to terms with their age... I do wish Bono would ditch the shades, he looks so much better without them! But his choice. I don't think he needs to cut his hair short, but he could trim it. Though when he's nearing 50 maybe he should go back to the short hair. I actually really liked the Pop look. I dunno, I don't really care about U2's image much, I mean I think they look good now though nothing can beat the Achtung era :drool: but maybe if they re-invent their sound they will re-invent their look as well.

I apologize for this incredibly long post.

That's the deal. When you dig a band that changes, you may not like the changes.

Lord knows I loved Radiohead through OK. But their recent work has put me off, big time.

As far as I'm concerned, fans complaining now are no different than fans who complained after Zooropa.

And the change for U2 won't be for a while. Another record of very strong songs is in order, thus keeping the trilogy pattern alive.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

I apologize for this incredibly long post.

Good post. :up: Don't apologize. :)

I agree completely about Bono's shades. Why doesn't he just lose them entirely?! They're big and they're blue or big and red... he changes them like his underwear or something. It's ridiculous. Nothing can beat the Zoo shades, the Beautiful Day shades or even the yellow/black Pop ones!

As for the music, I've already made my point somewhere before I think, so I won't go on. I'll just say this... Start making interesting music again, work on the lyrical quality more and please don't sit on the songs and overproduce them to death!

First off, I really don't see what people have against Bono's hair. I was painfully embarassed by everything that ATYCLB emcompassed - including Bono's best efforts to look like Roy Orbison. The leather jacket, the mullet-y hair - it was bad, man. Seriously, awful. And the songs were at best, mediocre.

I think the U2 of Bomb is a huge improvement. "Blinding Lights" is one of those perfect songs, where every element works. Perhaps not more than the sum of its parts - but the sum of its parts are still a force to be reckoned with. And if we're talking about image: I think they've aged gracefully. I think Bono looks great with the long hair, in the suit jackets, and those shades, which I hardly notice anymore. They're not nearly as bad as the shades during Popmart. Not The Fly, exactly - but he's too old to be The Fly. "They want their money back if you're alive at 33." Remember that line?

I think, in fact, U2 is one of those rare bands that have aged wonderfully - and also managed to attract the attention of a massive audience. The 90s are over, as is the ironic U2 of Achtung-Pop; but here we've returned to an earnest version of the band, who doesn't take itself as seriously as it did in the 80s. Loving U2 in the 80s was religious. And Bono did his best to be the messiah. But U2 in 2005 is a great band - comfortable in their skin, able to still put together a very good album, and raise consciousness with a sincerity that only comes when you've grown old in the public's eye. It's good that Bono gave up The Fly / or The Fly Part II (Mofo). He's needed in different ways. And his hair is just fine, man.

Bono is over the top now - as has been said, he is becoming a characature of himself.

The VH1 Legends special was mentioned...I am a HUGE fan of the look Bono had in that program. I have said for years that that is THE look Bono should be sporting right now. He looks more his age and dare I say, much cooler, in a more untouchable, subtle kind of way. Just a suit jacket, slicked back moderate length hair, and a pair of shades that, unlike today's shades, fits with his face very well, and doesn't look like a costume piece. I think he kind of has an Elvis Costello kind of thing going on. Here is a screenshot:

bono98look0xm.jpg

That is one of my favorite Bono looks ever.

He looks great in that screen capture.
That was probably summer 2000, right around/before the BD vid.

He started growing his mane probably right after that.

U2DMfan said:
He looks great in that screen capture.
That was probably summer 2000, right around/before the BD vid.

He started growing his mane probably right after that.

The screenshot posted from the Legends TV program is from late 1998, it was aired in November I believe.

(I only know this because I was in high school and in the height of U2 obsessiveness when this show was aired. I seriously was counting down the days until it was on months in advance. Then I taped it and wore out the tape. Good times :reject: )

the tourist said:
He looked best in late 1989. :)

:yes:

I think many here would agree that 1989 was truely the pinnacle of U2 career.

I'm not saying it's been all downhill since then, they've had ups and down their whole career, but that's the highest of the highs.

Lemonfix said:

The screenshot posted from the Legends TV program is from late 1998, it was aired in November I believe.

(I only know this because I was in high school and in the height of U2 obsessiveness when this show was aired. I seriously was counting down the days until it was on months in advance. Then I taped it and wore out the tape. Good times :reject: )

ok then fair enough, but I could have swore that the BD is the very last thing shown on that VH1 legends special.

Maybe I am thinking of the updated Vh1 Legends??
Maybe the updated it two years later with teh ATYCLB stuff.
Or maybe I am clueless.

U2DMfan said:

ok then fair enough, but I could have swore that the BD is the very last thing shown on that VH1 legends special.

Maybe I am thinking of the updated Vh1 Legends??
Maybe the updated it two years later with teh ATYCLB stuff.
Or maybe I am clueless.

No, you're right. Right when ATYCLB was released, they tacked on 2 minutes about ATYCLB at the end. The special is from 1998 though.

hmmm...

what's funny is that I think that is one of the worst bono looks, he looks just aweful in the Ground beneath her feet video, and i love that song and video!

those were by far the goofiest glasses he's ever wore, even the popmart shades were better.

The silver dolce & gobbanna shades are the coolest ever, I thought he looked awesome in the Elevation and vertigo videos!!

I think the images is all about opinion. And honestly, does it even matter? Have you seen the Edge during Joshua tree tour!! Oy! But he still rocked the fuck'n house down!

<a href=http://www.u2exit.com/pix/albums/bono/aaa.sized.jpg></a>

that didn't work, just copy and paste this(fix spaces)

h t t p://www.u2exit.com/pix/albums/bono/aaa.sized.jpg

coolest bono pic ever, & best shades

namkcuR said:
Bono is over the top now - as has been said, he is becoming a characature of himself.

The VH1 Legends special was mentioned...I am a HUGE fan of the look Bono had in that program. I have said for years that that is THE look Bono should be sporting right now. He looks more his age and dare I say, much cooler, in a more untouchable, subtle kind of way. Just a suit jacket, slicked back moderate length hair, and a pair of shades that, unlike today's shades, fits with his face very well, and doesn't look like a costume piece. I think he kind of has an Elvis Costello kind of thing going on. Here is a screenshot:

bono98look0xm.jpg

That is one of my favorite Bono looks ever.

I actually don't like that look much :huh: I don't go for the slicked back hair, though the length is fine. The shades are nice though cuz you can actually see his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom