What city has the most hardcore fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boston, and not just because I live there. Definitely the loudest crowds and most knowledgable fans of U2. The band has a long, storied relationship with our city, as the Paradise rock club on Commonwealth Ave was their first major gig in America. Also, WZLX 100.7 FM DJ Carter Allan was one of the first DJ's in America to play and enthusiastically promote U2. This was after he heard a day without me. Combine that with the Irish American population(especially immigrants in the 1980s, some of whom have returned to Ireland) of Boston, and they're about the most hardcore fans. Also, I can travel around the country and find my share of people who HATE U2, think Bono is arrogant, etc ,etc. In Boston, you almost never get anyone like that, it is almost universal among people you meet and talk to about music that U2 is great. I honestly think you could blare U2 from publicly funded speakers set up on public streets in Boston and the vast majority of the people would be JUST FINE with it. Hell, alot better place to spend our money on than Iraq!! All kidding aside, I'm not advocating that kind of public expenditure, but bottom line, Boston fans the best by far.

U2387 said:
Boston, and not just because I live there. Definitely the loudest crowds and most knowledgable fans of U2. The band has a long, storied relationship with our city, as the Paradise rock club on Commonwealth Ave was their first major gig in America. Also, WZLX 100.7 FM DJ Carter Allan was one of the first DJ's in America to play and enthusiastically promote U2. This was after he heard a day without me. Combine that with the Irish American population(especially immigrants in the 1980s, some of whom have returned to Ireland) of Boston, and they're about the most hardcore fans. Also, I can travel around the country and find my share of people who HATE U2, think Bono is arrogant, etc ,etc. In Boston, you almost never get anyone like that, it is almost universal among people you meet and talk to about music that U2 is great. I honestly think you could blare U2 from publicly funded speakers set up on public streets in Boston and the vast majority of the people would be JUST FINE with it. Hell, alot better place to spend our money on than Iraq!! All kidding aside, I'm not advocating that kind of public expenditure, but bottom line, Boston fans the best by far.

I'm sorry, I'm from Boston, I responded with Boston in this thread (though the Netherlands seems to always have good concerts/crowds on boots), but you run into plenty of people who don't like U2 in Boston. And I suspect there are a lot of the Irish-Americans who think they are really Irish because their grandfather was Irish who just say they like U2 because they think it is the Irish thing to do.

Once upon a time, it definetly was any city in Italy – but U2 have not played there rather average shows since the end of the '92/'93 heydays.
During POPmart the then land of most enthusiastic U2 fans only got two shows, both of them organized very badly and with even the shadow of one fan remaining dead on the floor during the concert in Rome.
2001 was even worse, with the band only playing one show there, up in the north – this has turned many 'old' U2 fans away from the band, always been connected planning also a lot for the benefit of the fans. During VERTIGO, Italy got two rather lacklustre Milano shows, setlist wise not anywhere, what the Italian fans have expected – with the third show in Rome being no exception.
Of course, you always have these freaks, who say "Milano, awesome; Roma, best night in the world!" – but let's face it. Even in Italy the times for u2 have changed: They sell out, but it's not the same enthusiasm, that was to be felt until '93 – when all the media, from TV to the papers to the record stores were packed with info about the Irish guys conquering the country.
This spirit I really felt the last tour still in U2's European capitals Dublin and Amsterdam (which also were rewarded with hell of shows) and especially in Australia & New Zealand: The crowd's passion for "One Tree Hill" and the atmosphere in the cities reminded me of the good old times, when U2 were not just another (fine) act to play in town, where every wannabe has to have a ticket – but when they were felt by the fans really to be a special group ... Might guess, that South America gave me a similar impression, by the way ...

This is Mad. You Are Mad. Melbourne's Crazy.

See the world in green white and gold
City of Melbourne never gets old
In Victoria the Garden State
I'm at Fitzroy keepin' us up late
St.Kilda let's go there tonight
Down on Port Phillip see the sea at first light

The ONLY way to find out, is to nail the guys down to an answer themselves. I wouldnt go by what Bono says at any given gig.....cause he will go on to say it at the next city/country/venue or watever too.

BANZAI said:

Nope, Amsterdam > Rotterdam

But... Amsterdam Arena < De Kuip (Rotterdam)
I meant to say that.....De Kuip is much better. I think Amsterdam is a great city, but I still dislike it because of their footballteam. :wink: But that's not important. If they come to Holland, they should play in De Kuip, although the show I saw in Amsterdam (16-07-2005) was great.

Varitek said:

I'm sorry, I'm from Boston, I responded with Boston in this thread (though the Netherlands seems to always have good concerts/crowds on boots), but you run into plenty of people who don't like U2 in Boston. And I suspect there are a lot of the Irish-Americans who think they are really Irish because their grandfather was Irish who just say they like U2 because they think it is the Irish thing to do.

Yes, I understand some people in Boston don't like U2. However, I find this to be much less the case than in other cities, just an observation, I have been alot of places- Phoenix to Boston to Montreal, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, list goes on. Not necessarilly true about liking U2 being the "Irish" thing to do, all I am saying is that alot of people of Irish descent really like to see an Irish band succeed, given the country's history. My grandparents from Charlestown section of Boston like U2 and they are 78 and 81. And the band often commented how Boston 'felt like home' in the 80s due to the large number of Irish immigrants.(20% unemployment, troubles in Ireland, etc) Cleary Sq in Hyde Park, Southie, Charlestown used to be filled w/ them. Your point about people 'thinking they are Irish' is well taken- usually its DMB listening suburban kids from Wellesley or Wakefield who think they are 'tough' because they are "Irish." I've thrown plenty of them out of DMB and 311 concerts, never U2. That is not the mentality of U2 fans who are of Irish descent and understand they are not fully Irish.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Once upon a time, it definetly was any city in Italy – but U2 have not played there rather average shows since the end of the '92/'93 heydays.
During POPmart the then land of most enthusiastic U2 fans only got two shows, both of them organized very badly and with even the shadow of one fan remaining dead on the floor during the concert in Rome.
2001 was even worse, with the band only playing one show there, up in the north – this has turned many 'old' U2 fans away from the band, always been connected planning also a lot for the benefit of the fans. During VERTIGO, Italy got two rather lacklustre Milano shows, setlist wise not anywhere, what the Italian fans have expected – with the third show in Rome being no exception.
Of course, you always have these freaks, who say "Milano, awesome; Roma, best night in the world!" – but let's face it. Even in Italy the times for u2 have changed: They sell out, but it's not the same enthusiasm, that was to be felt until '93 – when all the media, from TV to the papers to the record stores were packed with info about the Irish guys conquering the country.
This spirit I really felt the last tour still in U2's European capitals Dublin and Amsterdam (which also were rewarded with hell of shows) and especially in Australia & New Zealand: The crowd's passion for "One Tree Hill" and the atmosphere in the cities reminded me of the good old times, when U2 were not just another (fine) act to play in town, where every wannabe has to have a ticket – but when they were felt by the fans really to be a special group ... Might guess, that South America gave me a similar impression, by the way ...

South America really has hardcore fans, mainly in Brasil (SÂO PAULO < RIO< ETC...).

:rockon: :rockon:

By the way " BRASIL LOVES U2"....

:bow: :bow: (See U2 3D )

BrasilLovesU2 said:

South America really has hardcore fans, mainly in Brasil (SÂO PAULO < RIO< ETC...).

:rockon: :rockon:

By the way " BRASIL LOVES U2"....

:bow: :bow: (See U2 3D )

I agree. South America, Buenos Aires, Santiago, etc, every South American city blow away the others. Just listen or watch the DVD bootlegs :drool:

Back
Top Bottom