what are the lyrics of the new line in numb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
"its not that bad, just try and unwind"

when larry's vocal comes in, edge continues singing whereas in the original he was silent. does anyone know what these lyrics are? i have heard this line before, i think it was included in the soul assassins mix. Anyone?

The only odd line I recall from the Soul Assassins remix of "numb" is -

in cold blood!

Which I believe was a working title of the tune at one time or another... So I'm not sure, buddy. I'd like to know myself also. At first I didn't like the part right when Larry & The Fat Lady came in - but it grew on me as a sort of sensory overload 'cos there so many sounds going on at once. Too much to take in on first listen. I also believe that's what U2 was aiming for with "NUMB". Y'know, trying to capture that feeling that Zoo TV and the whole shebang gave 'em.

I'd also like to know the obscure lyrics in "discotheque" where the "you want heaven in your heart" used to be...

-[z]-

I want a full transcript of that dialogue/phone message at the beginning of the Numb Gimme Some Diginity mix.

In Cold Blood was a poem that Bono had written that they were going to have him speaking over a single drum......I think that is where the idea for Numb came from......(source: Bill Flanagan's lovely book!)

"I go into the control room and Bono is hammering at the Powerbook personal computer. ?So hard to watch the news from Bosnia ? ? Bono says. ? It was hard not to feel accused. A relief worker was looking at me ? at each of us ? saying ? You are a jerk for doing nothing.? It made it very hard for me to consider working on this? --- he gestures at the studio around him --- ?important.?

He reads me what he has been writing:

I read a book once, called In Cold Blood.
Pages of facts did me no good.
I read it like a blind man, in cold blood.
So the story of a three-year-old child
Raped by soldiers, though she'd already died,
Made the mother watch as they fucked her in the mud.
I'm reading the story now, in cold blood.
More now coming off the wire
City surrounded, funeral pyre
Life is cheaper than talking about it
People choke on their politicians' vomit.
On cable television I saw a woman weep
Live, by satellite, from a flood-ridden street
Boy mistaken for a wastepaper bin
Body that a child used to live in.
I saw plastic explosives and an alarm clock
And the wrong me sitting in the dock
Karma is a word I never understood
How God could take a four-year-old in cold blood.
I live by a beach, but it feels like New York
I hear about 10 murders before I get to work.
What's it going to be Lord, fire or flood?
An act of mercy or in cold blood?

?I?m thinking of reciting it on the album with just a drum ?? Bono says ? ?Bring in a note of brutal reality. Do you think that?s too much ??
I suggest that describing soldiers raping a child is going to overpower everything that comes after it --- it will disrupt the album in a way from which it might not be able to recover.
Bono says perhaps he should do it on stage --- a blast of ugly truth amid all the camp ? postmodernism ? and irony. He goes into the other room to do an interview with Joe Jackson from the Irish music paper Hot Press ? in which he continues to talk about Bosnia and how small U2?s concerns seem when stacked up next to that.
He reads ?In Cold Blood? to Jackson and then says ? ?Sometimes ? in the middle of all kitsch you have to stick the boot in. But that lyric ? too ? is about overload and I want to use it live ? though it may only be samples or lines I like. But it?s not so much about the cold blood involved in the various acts I describe. It?s about the way we respond to those things.?

U2Soar said:
I read a book once, called In Cold Blood.
Pages of facts did me no good.
I read it like a blind man, in cold blood.
So the story of a three-year-old child
Raped by soldiers, though she'd already died,
Made the mother watch as they fucked her in the mud.
I'm reading the story now, in cold blood.
More now coming off the wire
City surrounded, funeral pyre
Life is cheaper than talking about it
People choke on their politicians' vomit.
On cable television I saw a woman weep
Live, by satellite, from a flood-ridden street
Boy mistaken for a wastepaper bin
Body that a child used to live in.
I saw plastic explosives and an alarm clock
And the wrong me sitting in the dock
Karma is a word I never understood
How God could take a four-year-old in cold blood.
I live by a beach, but it feels like New York
I hear about 10 murders before I get to work.
What's it going to be Lord, fire or flood?
An act of mercy or in cold blood?

Shit. :(

Really gets you thinking, doesnt it...

Back
Top Bottom