What are Bono's favorite bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DogStar

Babyface
I know he likes Lou Reed, Beatles, Who, Sex Pistols, Clash, Television, Patti Smith and Bowie but has anybody ever seen an official list or interview where he actually stated his top 10? What about new bands, which of those are his favorite?

:scratch: Mmmmmmmmh, I don't think that I have an interview somewhere.......... *goes away thinking*

I know he likes alot of hip-hop artists. He's mentioned Destiny's Child, too, several times. He and Kirk Franklin are friends and mutual admirers of each other's work. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of anyone else right now.

verte76 said:
I know he likes alot of hip-hop artists. He's mentioned Destiny's Child, too, several times. He and Kirk Franklin are friends and mutual admirers of each other's work. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of anyone else right now.

Destiny's Child? :ohmy:

Those ladies have lovely voices, but it seems like all their songs are about the same thing and it got to be annoying to me after awhile.

wertsie said:

Destiny's Child? :ohmy:

Those ladies have lovely voices, but it seems like all their songs are about the same thing and it got to be annoying to me after awhile.

He's mentioned them as a "pop" act that he claims he can't get enough of. The quote is from "U2 Does Much Music", which was broadcast in Canada in late May or early June of 2001. This was right after he described the difference between rock bands, like U2, and pop acts, like Destiny's Child. It's a fantastic interview with all four members of the band.

I could never believe he actually liked DC. Okay so they must look hot to guys shaking their booties but can you really imagine him driving down the road getting down to that? :huh: He's such a man of deep musical taste and appreciation I can't accept he would like a song like "Survivor"- what, it had like, 3 lines, and it took 7 people to write it? LOL! That song sucks so bad, the first few times I heard it, I kept thinking it was some kind of intro that would turn into a song sometime-but it never did. :barf:

Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed Bono Likes Creed :mac:

I think it's safe to say he's a fan of r.e.m.
and radiohead.
although it's also benficiary for u2 to praise radiohead, seeing as how radiohead are definitly influenced by u2 and are considerd one of the best bands on the planet today.:lemon:

verte76 said:
Definitely Bob Dylan. Can you say "Positively Bob Dylan"?? !! :laugh: :laugh:

yes i can. i dont know whats so funny about that though.

i believe he enjoys smashing pumpkins, rage, radiohead, rem (without question) and a few others.

ask him yourself.

In the U2 @ Muchmusic interview, he went off and started talking about Pearl Jam for a while, so I'm guessing he's a fan of them as well. But really, who isn't?

Zoomerang96 said:

yes i can. i dont know whats so funny about that though.

i believe he enjoys smashing pumpkins, rage, radiohead, rem (without question) and a few others.

ask him yourself.

That was a spoof on "Positively Fourth Street", one of Dylan's earlier hits. No, maybe not so funny.

U2ME3 said:
not a very funny one but an attempt nonetheless.

Maybe this is the "not so funny joke" thread. Actually, here's another one of Bono's favorite bands--Kraftwerk. He grew up on them. I've heard some of their stuff. It's pretty cool--early techno, or as it was called then, "electronic". Someone forgot that electric guitars are "electronic" too.

"The president of Ireland is a man called Van Morrison."

Bono, Munich, 2001-7-15, before they played a snippet of Vans GLORIA.

anna

Desire4Bono said:
I could never believe he actually liked DC. Okay so they must look hot to guys shaking their booties but can you really imagine him driving down the road getting down to that? :huh: He's such a man of deep musical taste and appreciation I can't accept he would like a song like "Survivor"- what, it had like, 3 lines, and it took 7 people to write it? LOL! That song sucks so bad, the first few times I heard it, I kept thinking it was some kind of intro that would turn into a song sometime-but it never did. :barf:

Bono was being interviewed by VH1 or MTV or something, I think it was one of those "Best of the Year" sort of things and Destiny's Child was brought up. He talked about how talented he thought the girls were and said they were just a "great soul group." So, yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a fan.
He also likes The Strokes and Kylie Minogue, and can't forget about Frank Sinatra.

reading most of these bands/artists that you people say bono likes, ive come to the conclussion that bono likes alot of terrible bands and that his opinion doesnt count.

Zoomerang96 said:
reading most of these bands/artists that you people say bono likes, ive come to the conclussion that bono likes alot of terrible bands and that his opinion doesnt count.

No.....he likes a lot of bands/singers that you don't. I don't listen to all of these people either. It's interesting that he likes them. But that doesn't mean his opinion doesn't count.....huh?:scratch: :confused: :confused: :shocked:

Ah, the way I see it, Bono can like whatever groups he wants, so long as he and the guys continue to make fantastic music together (which you KNOW they will!)

adamswildhoney said:
I think that Bono flat out just loves music no matter what kind it is or what band it is!:wink:

Well, almost. I'm not sure he much cares for heavy metal. But it seems like just about anything else is fair game!

verte76 said:

Well, almost. I'm not sure he much cares for heavy metal. But it seems like just about anything else is fair game!

What about this quote about boy bands...

"We are men. They are boys. Move over. Thank you very much."

??? I love that. :happy:

wertsie said:

What about this quote about boy bands...

"We are men. They are boys. Move over. Thank you very much."

??? I love that. :happy:

Oh, yes.......how could I forget???? I have that on tape. Sheesh........

verte76 said:

Oh, yes.......how could I forget???? I have that on tape. Sheesh........

You do? Where is it from? I can't for the life of me remember, but I know that I've heard it before! I just found it while browsing the web and added it to my website.

Back
Top Bottom