What A Wanker....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
....you have for President.

Can someone enlighten me on exactly which country Bono said this in, and what exactly he was so pissed about? I briefly saw a clip on MTV last nite which lasted all of about 3 seconds.

Thanks guys...:drool:

He said it in France at the MTV-awards because of their nuclear-tests (not quite sure if this is the right word) in the pacific ocean.

He was talking about the France government having nuclear experiments. I think it was 95` or 96. He said it live on MTV Europe music awards, which were held in Paris. Same president then as it is now.

Correct. U2 were in Paris, France at the Mtv EMAs.

French President -- don't remember if it was Chirac or Mitterand -- had somone doing the tests in a faraway place in the ocean.

That's why Bono says "What a bomb. What a mistake. What a wanker you have for a president"
And I think he added something like "what are you gonna do?"

Aardvark747 said:
Ok cheers Stefan. Chirac wasn't in charge then i'm assuming? Cos he and Bono seem to get on quite well.

He gave the authorization. SO he IS in charge!

lady luck said:

He gave the authorization. SO he IS in charge!

K. I got it now! Cheers for clearing it up guys!:wink:

btw - I love Adam and Edge and how they look shocked in the background when Bono said it!:wink:

Oh, incidently, what award were they picking up?:confused:

I think it was along the lines of, "What a night! What a crowd! What a wanker you have for a President! What are you gonna do about it?!"

Funny stuff....

Should say something like that when he comes to Australia....

"What a wanker you have for a prime minister"

intedomine said:
Should say something like that when he comes to Australia....

"What a wanker you have for a prime minister"

And the UK. Instead, he has lunch with him and takes his shaggy haired monkey along too (here's lookin at u Geldof!)

Aardvark747 said:

K. I got it now! Cheers for clearing it up guys!:wink:

btw - I love Adam and Edge and how they look shocked in the background when Bono said it!:wink:

Oh, incidently, what award were they picking up?:confused:

I think it was something with HMTMKMKM

http://www.u2station.com/news/archives/1995/11/bonos_acceptanc.php

November 23, 1995

Bono's acceptance speech at the Europe Music Awards
U2's Acceptance Speech as "Best Group," as given at the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards, November 23, 1995 at La Zenith, France.

Bono speaks, and references the recent nuclear bomb tests conducted by France in the South Pacific, tests which have drawn international condemnation.

Bono: "Well! Well, we didn't put out a record -- U2 didn't put out an album. We didn't go on tour ... that must be the trick.

What a city!
What a night!
What a crowd!
What a bomb!
What a mistake!
What a wanker you have for President!
What are you gonna do about it?!?
Tell me you're gonna do something about it!

Next year, let's not give this [holds up the award] to Jacques Chirac [French President]. WE - LOVE - YOU! [pointing to crowd]"

Aardvark747 said:
Ok cheers Stefan. Chirac wasn't in charge then i'm assuming? Cos he and Bono seem to get on quite well.

I think the Bono then and the Bono now are 2 different people. He was cool then and now he's a bit of a crawler to the politicians.:wink:

May have been cool but it is not a very mature way of going about things and achieves little....

packcrush said:

Feck yeah! Thats when Bono kicked serious arse! Now hes all lovey-dovey with them. Mid 90's Bono was the coolest.

Cool.

But quite useless.

It's easy to say f**k you to a person -- less easy to try and work on him/her

Bonochick said:
http://www.u2station.com/news/archives/1995/11/bonos_acceptanc.php

November 23, 1995

Bono's acceptance speech at the Europe Music Awards
U2's Acceptance Speech as "Best Group," as given at the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards, November 23, 1995 at La Zenith, France.

Bono speaks, and references the recent nuclear bomb tests conducted by France in the South Pacific, tests which have drawn international condemnation.

Bono: "Well! Well, we didn't put out a record -- U2 didn't put out an album. We didn't go on tour ... that must be the trick.

What a city!
What a night!
What a crowd!
What a bomb!
What a mistake!
What a wanker you have for President!
What are you gonna do about it?!?
Tell me you're gonna do something about it!

Next year, let's not give this [holds up the award] to Jacques Chirac [French President]. WE - LOVE - YOU! [pointing to crowd]"

You rule!! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom