What a nice email Henry Rollins sent to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
Remember that Hankster was just one of Black Flag's singers.

And not even the original one. Wasn't he the second or third guy they hired?

Anyway, I hate to admit it but what Rollins said about not having anything to do with Vertigo being played rings true for me. I can easily believe the station did lean on one engineer to try to steal it off the Internet and he couldn't because it simply isn't there due to U2's super-tight anti-leak measures. So I guess the station is off the hook to as far as false advertising if they really did try to play it. They probably would have been in more trouble if they had succeeded because Principal Management would have been after them big time.

to be honest, I am divided on this 'cause I love u2 with a passion but I also like henry rollins and I love his spoken word and honesty. I am torn between two musical interests. But when you think about it, what did you expect from Rolins, politeness? He is an American asshole and that is what I love about him in a way. Maybe I am just used to Rollin's assholeness. I didn't know that he was hosting the show last night and if I did, perhaps would've posted a little warning. I have known about his anti U2 views for years so this doesn't surprise me.

STING2 said:
Someone should E-mail Rollins and ask him which U2 song or album he hates the least. That would be interesting to hear.

i did that.

"I think achtung baby is good because all the hard work Eno put in. If you
want to face the truth, here's your opportunity. The drummer is weak, the
bass player plods and the guitar play has one idea. The records, and I
have listened to them carefully, are more the product of a mediocre band
propped up by master production. the band on its own are quite boring and
uninventive.

This is not a crime, this is the bane of the modern music industry. What
gets to me is the corny singer's righteous half cocked crap. Want to save
the world? then quit the band and do it.

Here's another truth, might be hard to take. When Bono leaves the room,
having met with high ranking politicians, after having sat there,
slouching before these men and women looking at them through his
sunglasses, as soon as that door closes, they all laugh and get back to
work.

Basically my problem is not a problem. I am not into bullshit and that's
what U2 are prime perveyors of, therefore, I cannot be into U2 and must
speak out. gets you through the night, that's swell. I was brought up on
the real shit, I can't unknow what I know.

You and I have different opinions on the band. I think we'll both survive.
I know I will. HR

i think we're giving this man too much breathe, just leave him alone in his opinions and in his offensive way of talk, we don't have nothing to share with such kinda man, the record is gonna come out, the tour will be explosive all around the world, they gonna go in the hall of fame next year, they'll become the best rock band in the whole music history etc etc...what the hell do we want from this henry rollins??? he's a poor man who reached audience for a night claiming a band he hates with all he has and this shows how vacant this man is. we're turning our blood into poison just for the shit he's saying??????? come on, just leave him the hell alone, we must be superior, we're pumping him with "glory", we're giving too too too too much importance to what he's saying!!! man, in a month U2 will be in the mouth of everyone in the world, rollins will remain little and stupid like he is!!!! go ahead, U2 are great, we are great...and inter milan is great! :wink:

You know, we could spew all this hate and anger towards Henry, but when you come right down to it, it's just his opinion. Sure he has a large stage to talk about it, but who cares? Those who love U2 will not be swayed by it, and those who are on the fence will be swayed the music. Those who hate U2 will never like them, or eventually come around.

Really, we know Henry can't stand them, and his note to StlElevation was somewhat articulate and explained his case.

That said, I want to make some points about what he says:

1. U2 are not the most talented musicians in the world
2. They do have brilliant production
3. But, you can't rule the world on production alone, Henry.

While I agree with a couple of Henry's statements regarding the band, it's basically pointless. He's trying to make U2 sound like they're the Backstreet Boys or Milli Vanilli. Ain't happenin'.

U2 are competent musicians who have always made the most of their talent. I would argue his point regarding the Edge, because Edge is the musical glue that holds this band together.

What U2 have is a spark. That spark allows them to create a fire so bright that it outshines the rest of the music industry on ocassions. They are passionate and heartfelt, and there just aren't a lot of acts in the music industry like them today. They give music a something different from the Pop/Hip Hop sounds the saturate the airwaves, and that's refreshing.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You know, we could spew all this hate and anger towards Henry, but when you come right down to it, it's just his opinion. Sure he has a large stage to talk about it, but who cares? Those who love U2 will not be swayed by it, and those who are on the fence will be swayed the music. Those who hate U2 will never like them, or eventually come around.

Really, we know Henry can't stand them, and his note to StlElevation was somewhat articulate and explained his case.

That said, I want to make some points about what he says:

1. U2 are not the most talented musicians in the world
2. They do have brilliant production
3. But, you can't rule the world on production alone, Henry.

While I agree with a couple of Henry's statements regarding the band, it's basically pointless. He's trying to make U2 sound like they're the Backstreet Boys or Milli Vanilli. Ain't happenin'.

U2 are competent musicians who have always made the most of their talent. I would argue his point regarding the Edge, because Edge is the musical glue that holds this band together.

What U2 have is a spark. That spark allows them to create a fire so bright that it outshines the rest of the music industry on ocassions. They are passionate and heartfelt, and there just aren't a lot of acts in the music industry like them today. They give music a something different from the Pop/Hip Hop sounds the saturate the airwaves, and that's refreshing.

Well said. I agree 100%.

I agree with you Reggie, also. That was a really good summary, I dont really give a shit what Rollins said, he has his opinion and good for him, Im still gonna be a fanatic u2 fan if the whole world turn on them.

I actually have some friends who say that Adam is a good bass player but not great (I think he is) and Larry is an average drummer at best. I just dont like when Rollins goes after Edge, hes the man and I think hes one of the greatest guitarists. Somehow I knew his answer would be ACHTUNG BABY.

Rollins says he's played more shows than U2 even though he started years after. That cant be right?! Well. even if it is, I doubt he's played to as many people.

icelle said:
jezuz...rollins is still going at it?:huh:

Sigh. I really don't even care about him any more ... because in my mind, he was eaten by a pack of wild apes.

Axver said:

Sigh. I really don't even care about him any more ... because in my mind, he was eaten by a pack of wild apes.

Didnt Oscar wilde once say "There is one thing worse than being talked about, and thats not being talked about" - the fact (if it is true) that Rollins feels the need to diss U2 etc clearly shows that he is thinking too much about the band, music etc. If someone doesn't like music, band, opinions etc, then you just ignore them. Opinions are like assholes, like it or not, everyone has one.

Diemen said:
Seriously.

EVERYBODY. Get off the lynch Henry Rollins bandwagon. It's a well documented fact he doesn't like U2. Deal with it. Emailing him to express your disgust accomplishes absolutely nothing.

On something as (ultimately) trivial as what bands you like, you should be willing to accept differing opinions as just that, differing opinions. Are you really so thin-skinned that you can't take some meathead insulting your favorite band without getting all melodramatic? He doesn't like U2. Move on with your lives.

:up:

Differing opinions fine, I've no real issue with that, it was his statements about wishing death on Bono. I think that's cruel, irregardless of whether you like someone's work.

I think that's taking hate too far.

Patrick Pfiefer? says Adam is great bassist, and a very humble person to work with. He's an author, and bass teacher, who wrote a few books on bass playing.

Larry admits, "I hit things, and people clap."

I don't think they really care that much about his comments on their music, but I know Larry was hurt about some journalist wishing death on them.

That's where I drew the line.

You can't joke that way with a standing U.S. President, and have it be taken lightly, so no one should start with the "free speech" rhetoric.

And if Rollins is so punk, then why care if U2 aren't in his opinion, the best of musicians, if it weren't for bands like the Ramones who weren't musical prodigy's either, he probably wouldn't have been in a band himself.

He named a band after himself, can't get more egomaniac than that.

To Rollins I'd say, "pot, meet kettle. "

Back
Top Bottom