What a fantastic album....so underrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I really like "POP" (even though it is my worst of their 90's material), I think it's a bit overrated here. I mean, if we were gonna talk about underrated stuff (on these forums), then some of U2's 80's stuff would be a nice place to look (somebody has a slight mention of this in their sig).

Anyway, I personally think "War" is underrated. It really doesn't get the attention it deserves in these parts, know what I'm sayin'? Yeah, well there it is.

That is all...

...and there was much rejoicing...

Catman said:
While I really like "POP" (even though it is my worst of their 90's material), I think it's a bit overrated here. I mean, if we were gonna talk about underrated stuff (on these forums), then some of U2's 80's stuff would be a nice place to look (somebody has a slight mention of this in their sig).

Anyway, I personally think "War" is underrated. It really doesn't get the attention it deserves in these parts, know what I'm sayin'? Yeah, well there it is.

That is all...

...and there was much rejoicing...

Personally, I think the word overrated is overrated! :lol:

You're right. I do think War is VERY underrated here!

I :heart: War!

"War" rocks! Yay for "War"!

I can't believe how many people here don't like "If God Will Send His Angels". I think it's a beautiful song...very sad, in my opinion (like I said, I've cried a couple of times when I listened to it), but...hauntingly beautiful. I love that song.

Eh. Whatever.

Angela

What do people think of the POP B-Sides ? I know ? there?s quite bit of cheating here by grabbing songs from other projects. It?s meant to be creative and to have fun. Some people may not like POP. Some people may not like certain songs (i.e. Miami and Playboy Mansion seem to be frequently mentioned) or the track order. Here?s 30 songs to make another version or double album on cd-r. It will be more rewarding once the box sets come out and we access to many songs (finished up) that didn?t make it onto the album or the B-Sides ! I have grouped songs for an imaginary story of POP that takes place over a weekend.

FRIDAY NIGHT
Pop Muzik (a 5 minute edit of the PopMart Mix)
Discotheque
Theme From Let?s Go Native (Passengers)
Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
Do You Feel Loved
MOFO

SATURDAY DAYTIME
Your Blue Room
Staring At The Sun (the finished version that Larry said that could been as big as WOWY and One)
Dirty Day (Junk Day or Bitter Kiss Mix ?)
I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
Hallelujah (mixed by Howie B.)

SATURDAY NIGHT
Heaven In Your Heart (the Howie B Hairy B Mix of Discotheque - a Hip Hop Techno song)
Air Suspension (Vocals : Bono - Aural & Hearty album by Mocean Worker)
Theme From Mission : Impossible (which version ?)
First Night In Hell (A Instrumental Mix of LNOE though it has nothing in common with it ? a heavy hard techno song)
Bottoms (Miss Sarajevo single)
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

SUNDAY DAYTIME
Miami
Happiness Is A Warm Gun ( The Gun Mix or the Danny Saber Mix ?)
Playboy Mansion (it could really use a reworking ? either experiment with it like Heaven In Your Heart or Miami or make it more of a rock song like LNOE or Gone)
Slug
Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
Gone

SUNDAY NIGHT
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Slow Dancing
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes
North And South Of The River
Please (Single Version)
Wake Up Dead Man

OTHER OPTIONS
Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
I?m Not Your Baby Instrumental
Theme From Mission : Impossible ( a second version ?)
Passengers track ? Always Forever Now (passengers version or Heat Soundtrack version) ? United Colours
Goldeneye remix ? ? written by Bono and The Edge
Blue ? Zucchero ? written by Bono

A DOUBLE ALBUM

DISC 1
1. Pop Muzik (the first 5 minute edit of the PopMart Mix)
2. Discotheque (Single Version)
3. First Night In Hell (Instrumental Mix of LNOE - nothing in common with it ? a pounding techno song)
4. Heaven In Your Heart (the Howie B Hairy B Mix of Discotheque - a Hip Hop Techno song)
5. Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
6. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
7. Do You Feel Loved
8. MOFO
9. Miami
10. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
11. Playboy Mansion
12. Staring At The Sun

DISC 2
1. I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
2. Dirty Day (Junk Day or Bitter Kiss Mix ?)
3. Last Night On Earth (Single Version)
4. Gone
5. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
6. Slug or Your Blue Room ?
7. If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
8. Slow Dancing (U2 with Willie Nelson)
9. Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes (Bono and Larry)
10. North And South Of The River
11. Please (Single Version)
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Moonlit_Angel said:
"War" rocks! Yay for "War"!

I can't believe how many people here don't like "If God Will Send His Angels". I think it's a beautiful song...very sad, in my opinion (like I said, I've cried a couple of times when I listened to it), but...hauntingly beautiful. I love that song.

Eh. Whatever.

Angela

I like IGWSHA...I don't have a lot to say about it right now, but maybe that means I just need to listen to it more! :happy:

ultraviolet7 said:

However I find ATYCLB very strong lyric-wise and incredible as it may seem consequential in this sense to Pop. I don't understand what you mean exactly by "having no more balls". That the songs don't rock enough? Personally I would have preferred that they continued in the experimental line, but it's them who are the artists and it's their prerogative to express themselves in the manner they deem fit and ours to buy or not.

Go figure out ATYCLB, a beautiful melodic song such as Walk On, murdered by the cheesy erratic "achy breaky heart" line. u2 would have never written such line in POP.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

true

a beautiful melodic song such as Walk On, murdered by the cheesy erratic "achy breaky heart" line. u2 would have never written such line in POP

Yes!!!! True!!!!Very very true!!!! That's probably the only line I'm not thrilled about in an otherwise impressive song.

ultraviolet7 said:
MOFO
Undoubtedly one of the stellar peaks on this album. Bono stripped to the core of his soul. Musically brilliant. Lyric-wise at his best. Still looking for the face I had before the world was made One of my U2 fave lines.

For your interest, Bono took that line straight from William Butler Yeats, my favourite poet. I think it's the only line I like in that song, which I'm afraid is one of my least favourite U2 songs of all time.

scatteroflight said:

For your interest, Bono took that line straight from William Butler Yeats, my favourite poet. I think it's the only line I like in that song, which I'm afraid is one of my least favourite U2 songs of all time.

Bono's or not, I love the line and the context it is in. Thanks for the info anyway. BTW what Yeats poem is it on?

jick said:

Go figure out ATYCLB, a beautiful melodic song such as Walk On, murdered by the cheesy erratic "achy breaky heart" line. u2 would have never written such line in POP.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

The line you mention doesn't bother me in particular. Maybe because even if Walk On isn't a favourite with me music-wise, its lyrics are some of my fave, not in particular because of the quality of the poetry (there are others I like much better in this sense), but rather because their meaning is particularly strong - at least to me.

ultraviolet7 said:

Bono's or not, I love the line and the context it is in. Thanks for the info anyway. BTW what Yeats poem is it on?

This one:

BEFORE THE WORLD WAS MADE

If I make the lashes dark
And the eyes more bright
And the lips more scarlet,
Or ask if all be right
From mirror after mirror,
No vanity's displayed:
I'm looking for the face I had
Before the world was made.

What if I look upon a man
As though on my beloved,
And my blood be cold the while
And my heart unmoved?
Why should he think me cruel
Or that he is betrayed?
I'd have him love the thing that was
Before the world was made.

ultraviolet7 said:

The line you mention doesn't bother me in particular. Maybe because even if Walk On isn't a favourite with me music-wise, its lyrics are some of my fave, not in particular because of the quality of the poetry (there are others I like much better in this sense), but rather because their meaning is particularly strong - at least to me.

Exactly.

That's the thing with a lot of the lyrics on ATYCLB-yeah, some of them may seem silly or kind of lame at first to some people...but when you look at the context the lyrics are being used in on a lot of those songs...the lyrics may seem a lot better once you look at it from that perspective.

I think the lyrics in "Walk On" are wonderful the whole way through.

Angela

i have constantly defended Pop and Popmart here.
they were both so far ahead of their time its so crazy. Still my fav part of u2's career.

Yeah, what he said

GW: So it's really about that dichotomy.

Edge: Maybe that's why we're drawn to it. There is something bogus about
playing to people's expectations. Throughout our career we've had opportunities
to do the safe thing, and some would say that our reasons for not doing so boil
down to simple perversity. I think -- I know -- it's because we're suspicious of
doing what's expected of us.
You must do what you're led to do, and for us that's
always been about taking risks and looking to debunk myths, to debunk notions
that have grown up about the band and the work that we've done, and to really
look for what's now and what's current, what speaks about this year, not last
year, not two years ago.

I suppose what people are struggling with is their conception of what the band is
versus what the show seems to be about. The public's notion of what the band
stands for is quite one-dimensional. It denies our humour. It denies a lot of
humanity that's there. I suppose we're hanging on to humour because it's
important for us. When it really gets down to it, we don't write humorous songs
very often. So our shows are an opportunity to fill out some of the gaps that
might exist in the albums. It's a chance to have some fun and have a laugh.
That's what the show is: as much as anything else, apart from giving us the
opportunity to meet our audience and play new songs, it's fun.

GW: You raise an interesting point in that Pop, despite all the hullabaloo about the
techno elements in some of the songs, has a lot in common with U2's Eighties
albums.

Edge: Absolutely! I think anyone who's spent time with the new album will
notice that some of those songs could have been on our second record, October,
or Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree, in terms of the intention and the idea
behind them -- the themes and the emotions behind the lyrics.
Without it
having been an intention at the outset, I see this album almost as being a
compendium of musical slices culled from all the different phases of the band's
career.

The broad range of the songs on this record is consistent with the position we've
always taken on certain issues and the kind of songs that we've always written. I
think when the album really starts to sink in, fans will understand that, in the
end, the show is about the music.

I don't think we would've called the tour PopMart or called the album Pop if it
had been kind of a throwaway record of radio-friendly hits. I think it works as a
tour concept and as a title for the album because, in fact, the album is anything
but that. It's some of the most soul-searching music we've released in the last 10
years. In some ways it's a very personal and intense record.

? 1997 Guitar World magazine. All rights reserved.

Pop is definitely a great album which grows on you the more you listen to it! I wish U2 put more Pop songs in the next tour!

Last edited:
Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

BonoVelvet said:
Pop is definitely a great album which grows on you the more you listen to it! I wish U2 put more Pop songs in the next tour!

:yes: Me too. POP really came alive live, I think, and I found that I really missed a lot of those songs during Elevation.

Re: Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

Moonlit_Angel said:

:yes:

By the way, "Miami" is really growing on me...what a funky song.

Angela

Agree with you Angela! :yes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

BONOPOP said:

Agree with you Angela! :yes:

Me too! Miami was one of those songs that I basically ignored until recently...I started listening to it in my car a lot...Groovin'!

Olive and Ultraviolet7, I think you both stole pages out of my "Why I Love Pop" diary when you wrote your song by song analyses. It was during the Pop era that I became the monster fan that I am now, and the Pop album and tour fostered that.

:hug: to all the Pop lovers :hug: There is definitely a lot to appreciate on this album. It's so deep, I feel like I'm still getting to know the songs five years later.

Edit: I'm about to go home on my lunch break. Think I'll bust out the Pop CD! :cool:

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
Olive and Ultraviolet7, I think you both stole pages out of my "Why I Love Pop" diary when you wrote your song by song analyses. It was during the Pop era that I became the monster fan that I am now, and the Pop album and tour fostered that.

:hug: to all the Pop lovers :hug: There is definitely a lot to appreciate on this album. It's so deep, I feel like I'm still getting to know the songs five years later.

Edit: I'm about to go home on my lunch break. Think I'll bust out the Pop CD! :cool:

Thanks HeartlandGirl, that was really nice of you to say. :)

And I totally agree about still getting to know it. hope u had a nice ride home w/ it! :D

Just thought I would share the love on this POP thread...
I'm gonna have to buy it for the third time because I seemed to have lost my second copy...I bring it EVERYWHERE...trips out of town, to work, to college, friends houses, back home...which explains why I can never keep a copy around. I LOVE this album...there are not enough positive things I can say about it...the emotional impact of the music and beautiful lyrics strike a chord in my like no other album...obviously, one of my favs!

IGWSHA is a classic! Boo and hiss to you for saying it's awful!

I changed my mind later. If you see my second post, I have described how I think it is allright but a little boring. Actually these days I'm really listening to IGWSHA again and again. But generally that is the only song on Pop I skip. I do that because
a. The opening of the song isnt grabbing but quite boring
b. The whole song sounds kinda unfinished

HeartlandGirl said:

Thanks Heartland Girl. :)
It's great album all right and yes it's deeper than what many care to admit.
So much I love this album that I couldn't avoid treating myself to the vinyl double limited edition. The audio quality on this vinyl (three tracks per side - audio freaks attention!) is absolutely glorious :bow:, much, much better than the CD! :cool:

Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

IGWSHA is a classic! Boo and hiss to you for saying it's awful!

Though I never said that IGWSHA was "awful", I still think it's Pop's weakest tune and it could have been perfectly well left out in my opinion.

Re: Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

ultraviolet7 said:

Though I never said that IGWSHA was "awful", I still think it's Pop's weakest tune and it could have been perfectly well left out in my opinion.

I disagree. While it's not POP's best, it certainly isn't it's worst.

The lyrics are great and I especially love the "It's the blind leading the blonde" part.

It's also better than the likes of "Playboy Mansion" and "Velvet Dress".

Edit: It's so good I'm going to put it on right now!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

I disagree. While it's not POP's best, it certainly isn't it's worst.

The lyrics are great and I especially love the "It's the blind leading the blonde" part.

It's also better than the likes of "Playboy Mansion" and "Velvet Dress".

Edit: It's so good I'm going to put it on right now!

I'd even go so far as to say that that song is one of U2's best...I love that song, I really do...I like the lyrics as well, and the music is cool, especially at the beginning. It's a beautiful, melancholy song.

And can I just comment once again on how incredibly sexy the song "Do You Feel Loved" is? Just wanted to say that.

Angela

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What a fantastic album....so underrated

Moonlit_Angel said:

And can I just comment once again on how incredibly sexy the song "Do You Feel Loved" is? Just wanted to say that.

Angela

:yes: Oh, I completely agree! Weird, though...I think that's the first time I've actually seen someone comment on that!

Back
Top Bottom