What a fantastic album....so underrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An album doesn't have to be loved in its entirety

Studies have shown that more people are average and below average in IQ (intelligence quotient). These people just cannot understand POP.

Okay, this is why Pop threads become fights. Jick my man, I know you love Pop to death. So do I. But if someone can't get into a song like Miami...well, that's them, their opinion. The important thing is we all recognize the gem that is Pop.

unnamed_streets said:
Okay, this is why Pop threads become fights. Jick my man, I know you love Pop to death. So do I. But if someone can't get into a song like Miami...well, that's them, their opinion. The important thing is we all recognize the gem that is Pop.

just a little warning mr. streets. jick is totally screwing with you guys.

Screaming Flower said:

just a little warning mr. streets. jick is totally screwing with you guys.

:madspit: Yes, he is, and it's getting really old really fast.

Actually, if you look at it another one, it's rather sad...

Agree

MOFO
For bono to make such an addmission this is a song that could sum him up more than any other.. raw and rough!! Looking for to fill that God shaped hole

IGWSHA
*ouch* OUCH! what a song- much more bitter than WUDM imo!! In WakeUP at least he's giving Jesus the benifit of the doubt, to be sleeping. Here: Would he even pick up if he could. Then u got the living room scene with the fab line (really, in ATYCLB bono's lines have been thinning..) Does love...light up your Christmas Tree

SATS
good glory what don't I like about this song?? He's still wrought with spiritual confusion- will God listen? Intransigence IS all around in this song/album.. self doubt I'm nearly good but there's somethin' missin and
the gorgouesss imagery opening the song: Summer stretching on the grass

GONE
Smashing, simply smashing. You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover then you discover what you thought was freedom was just greed whoaa! can't you see the story he's telling here? It ain't pretty- it ain't all pop and disco and "bubble gum" - HE knows what it is, but he still wants some....

VELVET DRESS
I love everything about this song. I love every single lyric, not ONE do i have a problem with, not one word. I love love the bass thank you very much Adam.. it's damn sexy, damn yearning, damn scary..

Please
Up there with the Best LIVE moments. Up there with the Best U2 video ever! another one with superior lyrics. Love is hard, and love is tough. But love is not what you're thinking of. OUCH. wow. The first stanza is stunning.

WUDM
Possibly the best "cataloguing" U2's ever done after Numb, which wins perhaps on length. Listen to your words they'll tell you what to do
Listen over the rhythm that's confusing you
Listen to the reed in the saxophone
Listen over the hum of the radio
Listen over sounds of blades in rotation
Listen through the traffic and circulation
Listen as hope and peace try to rhyme
Listen over marching bands playing out their time

DYFL
I freaking love love loveeeeee this song!!
I love the SOUNDS of it, I love thegrunting in it, I love the smell and taste and shoving sense of it. terrific song. Top 10. Take the colours of my imagination
Take the scent hanging in the air
Take this tangle of a conversation
And turn it into your own prayer who hasn't felt this before???? And my tongue to tell you the sweetest lies

Very good review :yes: totally agree!! :up:

pub crawler said:
Yes I agree POP is the greatest U2 album of all time and better than any album by any other band and I happen to know for a fact that 99% of all Interferencers feel this way.

Scatteroflight and Salome especially love this album. They'll chime in soon and sing their praises about POP!

I really hate you :sexywink:

I point out occasionally that I actually prefer Pop to Zooropa (an opinion on which Salome and I differ) but absolutely no one listens.

scatteroflight said:

I really hate you :sexywink:

I point out occasionally that I actually prefer Pop to Zooropa (an opinion on which Salome and I differ) but absolutely no one listens.

If it helps any, I remember you saying that before! :wink:

And :lol: to "I really hate you."

dead horse

elevation said:
I never understood why ATYCLB was such a commerciel success while Pop wasn't. :confused: :scratch: It just sometimes make me sick how absolutely overrated ATYCLB is and how underrated Pop is...:banghead:
oliveu2cm said:
Then u got the living room scene with the fab line (really, in ATYCLB bono's lines have been thinning..) Does love...light up your Christmas Tree

compared to this j is almost funny

I fail to see why this album gets bashed by some people so often. I think it's a pretty cool one, myself.

My personal favorite songs (which are pretty much every song off this album):

Discotheque (it's just fun to dance to. And some people hate the video, I know...personally, I love it. It cracks me up)
Do You Feel Loved (wow...can we say "sexy song"?)
Mofo (this song is so weird...but I like it :D)
If God Will Send His Angels (So heartbreaking...this song even made me cry a couple of times when listening to it)
Staring At The Sun (all-around awesome song...I love everything about this one-the music, the lyrics, the whole song itself...just rocks)
Last Night On Earth (Never heard a live version of this song, so I can't say how it sounds live, but I like this song as it is)
Gone (this song's just plain cool-great lyrics)
The Playboy Mansion (someone else said they liked the message-I agree)
If You Wear That Velvet Dress (again, very sexy song)
Please (I love the lyrics in this song...this is, in my opinion, one of U2's best songs ever made-I really, really like this one)
Wake Up Dead Man (creepy, in a way...and yet I like the lyrics and I like what the song's about)

As for "Miami"-I don't hate this song. No. It's just that it's so different, such a unique song...it'll just take me a couple more listens to really get into it, I think. It's an interesting song...very funky. That's all. :).

So to the "Pop" bashers...you're certainly entitled to your opinions, but I'm really failing to see what's so bad about this album.

Angela

oliveu2cm said:
i'm so sick of this crap
yes, it's this petty issue I have going that I don't like it that a lot people who love POP seem to feel the need to put down ATYCLB in comparison

Do you ever think why the even the band tends to say that they "missed" with Pop? Did you ever ask yourself why there is so much debate about the quality of the album?

Just out of curiosity, what Popmart shows did people here go to? I was at Chicago on 6/27 in the far middle section on the floor, and in Detroit on 10/31 I was standing at the end of the catwalk. :ohmy: When the guys came through the audience and walked right past us, I felt like I was going to faint or something. It was so amazing!

Oh, and I love Bono's boxing outfit!

I have a theory. It's not that there are actually tons of people on this forum who insist, incomprehensibly, on starting thread after thread after thread after thread after thread on an album that has never warranted this much discussion (no album warrants this much discussion!)--there's just a very few people, or maybe even just one, under many aliases, who enjoy(s) driving the rest of us batty!!!

And don't tell me I should just stay out of the Pop threads if I don't like it. That would basically mean staying out of 97.8% of all threads on this main forum. I see them, I know they're about Pop. That's enough.

Salome said:
yes, it's this petty issue I have going that I don't like it that a lot people who love POP seem to feel the need to put down ATYCLB in comparison

I agree, Salome. I think the whole disput/arguing/bashing is uncalled for.

I never would have even Posted here had I known this was a stupid joke of a thread, like all the other Pop ones.

EYKIW should change it's name to "Pop Dispute Forum"

:barf:

scatteroflight said:
I have a theory. It's not that there are actually tons of people on this forum who insist, incomprehensibly, on starting thread after thread after thread after thread after thread on an album that has never warranted this much discussion (no album warrants this much discussion!)--there's just a very few people, or maybe even just one, under many aliases, who enjoy(s) driving the rest of us batty!!!

And don't tell me I should just stay out of the Pop threads if I don't like it. That would basically mean staying out of 97.8% of all threads on this main forum. I see them, I know they're about Pop. That's enough.

I agree!!!!! And as someone who likes Pop, it drives me :rant: nuts!

Like I said, I never would have posted had I known. :down: It doesn't matter to me who likes what album- I could care less. I hate getting drawn into this crap.

Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

pinkfloyd said:
Waiting for Gypsyheartgirl :laugh: :rant: :angel: :silent:

Why? If you're waiting for me to like it, it's just not gonna happen. I won't bother to give my song by song analysis of it because it would not be good.

Unnamed Streets, if it makes you feel any better, it has never been underrated on THIS forum :rolleyes: :yawn:

Hmmm...You know what I think? By getting all riled up, we're giving the thread-starter exactly what they wanted...So why don't we just ignore all the dispute crap and talk about the parts of POP that we DO like? I mean, why not?

det5.jpg

det6.jpg

Re: Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

GypsyHeartgirl said:

Why? If you're waiting for me to like it, it's just not gonna happen. I won't bother to give my song by song analysis of it because it would not be good.

Unnamed Streets, if it makes you feel any better, it has never been underrated on THIS forum :rolleyes: :yawn:

:wink: I think they meant that they were waiting for you to come here and say how much you hate POP.

Re: Re: Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

wertsie said:

:wink: I think they meant that they were waiting for you to come here and say how much you hate POP.

ALARM! The POP POLICE are on the scene! ALERT!

No, I think he thought he had converted Jick and I was next, that's what he meant.;)

As for your last post, if there's any part of Pop I do like, it's not the pics LOL! I really dislike the look too. Just ask doctorwho;)

If there is anything I can say good, it's that SATS may have been the prettiest tune they ever wrote, but it was messed up by the lyrics IMO. I liked Gone at Elevation sjhows, and WUDM is okay. IGWSHA and IYWTVD are boring and ho hum but not good enough to listen to (for me) The rest of the songs are just unlistenable noise to me.(I will spare the analogies about the stomach flu) I really don't think production or rushing had a lot to do with it not being so good, that may be it for some, but I plain don't like the music. For those of you who do, it hasn't hurt. It wasn't what I wanted or needed from U2. But I wouldn't have liked it from anybody. I just don't like it. I wonder if some people would justify it so much if it had been done by someone else.

I do wonder if sometimes, like Scatteroflight said, someone or some people do start these threads just to 'stir up the action' and rile up both sides for a good laugh. They are never disappointed. :shrug: :tsk:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

GypsyHeartgirl said:

ALARM! The POP POLICE are on the scene! ALERT!

Ha....Ha....Ha....:rolleyes:

jick wasn't "converted." He's just being an ass.

Let's make this clear

What the hell is wrong with some of you people?? I did not start this thread to "get a good laugh by riling up both sides". I was listening to the album at the time and was so impressed by how it had grown on my taste that I wanted to say a few words about it. And since I'm a new member, I was not aware that this album has been through several discussions in the past. Seriously, if somebody disagrees with a majority of replies in 'any' thread, they should just state their opinion, not pick fights. A simple 'that's just my opinion' would do. And who cares if U2 admitted this album was bad. Those of us who like it like it. :)

Re: Let's make this clear

unnamed_streets said:
What the hell is wrong with some of you people?? I did not start this thread to "get a good laugh by riling up both sides". I was listening to the album at the time and was so impressed by how it had grown on my taste that I wanted to say a few words about it. And since I'm a new member, I was not aware that this album has been through several discussions in the past. Seriously, if somebody disagrees with a majority of replies in 'any' thread, they should just state their opinion, not pick fights. A simple 'that's just my opinion' would do. And who cares if U2 admitted this album was bad. Those of us who like it like it. :)

:shrug: I don't know...For some reason POP is sort of like how the issue of slavery was for people prior to and during the Civil War...You get people from the North and people from the South in the same room together when that topic is brought up, and it's a guaranteed fight.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

GypsyHeartgirl said:

If there is anything I can say good, it's that SATS may have been the prettiest tune they ever wrote, but it was messed up by the lyrics IMO. I liked Gone at Elevation sjhows, and WUDM is okay. IGWSHA and IYWTVD are boring and ho hum but not good enough to listen to (for me) The rest of the songs are just unlistenable noise to me.(I will spare the analogies about the stomach flu) I really don't think production or rushing had a lot to do with it not being so good, that may be it for some, but I plain don't like the music. For those of you who do, it hasn't hurt. It wasn't what I wanted or needed from U2. But I wouldn't have liked it from anybody. I just don't like it. I wonder if some people would justify it so much if it had been done by someone else.

This kind of discussion about Pop is one that I can handle. One that is intelligent and based on the music and the reasons behind the likes/dislikes.

it's the people who bash/laugh at/mock other's opinions that piss me off.

I think there could be interesting discussions about the controversial Pop if people kept it to the basics, like Gypsy did. I totally respect that, even if I don't agree with it all, but it makes me think and I like that. :up:

I wanna do a song-by-song thing too! :)

Discotheque - rocking start to an album, and I can't get enough of that riff!

Do You Feel Loved? - ummm... neither hate it nor love it. It just never involved me much.

Mofo - I think it's kinda dated, to be honest, but I still like it a lot. I always thought it one of Bono's most personal songs.

If God Will Send His Angels - fine song, except for the irritating and unnecessary studio gizmos in the background.

Staring at the Sun - this song is a bit frustrating, to be honest. I always feel like it's one step away from being a true classic, but as it is on the album, it just misses a certain spark.

Last Night on Earth - I never cared for this song until I saw the POPMart tape, and it grew on me enormously.

Gone - easily the heart and soul of POP, and one of my favourite U2 songs ever. Even though it's much more powerful live, I still love this album version.

Miami - a true stinker. I hate pretty much everything about it.

The Playboy Mansion - somehow I could see this song work if it came from some other band, but coming from U2 it just feels WRONG. It's like watching a movie with a great, but terribly miscast actor.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - some nice guitar work aside, it's a pretty forgettable song IMO. It wants to be mysterious and evocative, but only comes off as a boring shapeless blob.

Please - great song, bad production.

Wake up Dead Man - My favourite U2 album closer. It's just full of this dark, despairing emotion that I find irresistable even though it leaves me feeling pretty damn hollow.

Re: Re: ALL THAT U2 WILL REMIX , Delete etc etc

GypsyHeartgirl said:

LOL! This is soooooo true! While POP is the greatest U2 album of all-time, it is by no stretch of the imagination underrated in this forum! I have been in so many U2 forums the past five years and this is the forum that actually made me see the beauty of POP!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
I was deeply offended and hurt by the fact that U2 decided to remix the songs in POP for the Best Of, I just thought the songs as they appeared in POP were already perfect.

I'm with you on this one. Furthermore Best Of is supposed to be the best of the last decade i. e. material that was released in the 90s! The new mixes have been done NOW - there's no sense in including them in a backwards compilation.

jick said:
But then again, the U2 now is no longer the U2 of POP. They are the U2 of artistic compromise and commercial aspirations characterized by the shallow but catchy, radio-friendly-designed ATYCLB. U2 have no more balls. I wouldn't be surprised if the POP remixes in the Best Of are "no-balls" remixes. After POP, U2 have gone over-the-hill and way from the top of their game.

I'm not sure about this statement. They're undoubtedly not the U2 of Pop, ATYCLB is more commercial in the sense that it's bound to be found appealing by the old guard (JT diehards who hated the 90s experience esp since Zooropa) and by new people who weren't interested in Pop but may find this album more palatable. However I find ATYCLB very strong lyric-wise and incredible as it may seem consequential in this sense to Pop. I don't understand what you mean exactly by "having no more balls". That the songs don't rock enough? Personally I would have preferred that they continued in the experimental line, but it's them who are the artists and it's their prerogative to express themselves in the manner they deem fit and ours to buy or not.

jick said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the remixes in the Best Of 1990-2000 are designed to be more commercially appealing while compromising artistic integrity.

I'm damn sure they will be more oriented to the standard radio ear.

jick said:
Obviously you haven't listened to this song eough to realize that it really isn't awful. 95% of U2's songs aren't even close to the musicality, artistry and relevance of this song. Give it another listen and you might appreciate it.

I tend to agree with unnamed_streets. I don't think IGWSHA is "awful" (no song is - you like it or you don't), but I frankly believe that it is out of place in an otherwise fantastic album like Pop. I don't think it's strong either musically nor lyric-wise. Sorry, but I've been a Pop lover since day one, I love that album more as time goes by, but I never got into IGWSHA and I will never understand why I was included in the first place, but it's a mystery like the non-inclusion of Lady With The Spinning Head in the Achtung Baby album.

Why is Pop my all time U2 #2 album (only surpassed by the masterpiece Achtung Baby).

It's in my opinion one hell of an album, because of the innovation, because the guys were not afraid to push the limits, because most of the songs are unbelievably well rounded off, because it is visceral, because it conveys so well the torment of having to come to terms with oneself, because it...touches my soul .

Pop is a strongly ironical album since it counterbalances the heavy content of most of its lyrics, intensely personal, intimate and delving into the intricacies of the soul with an apparent shallow wrapping (dance music, etc).

On another aspect I loved the irony that it had to be guys on the verge of their 40s (my generation) to show the world how to make new music, to sow the seeds for the reinvention of rock'n'roll (or whatever it is), to light the way (thank you UV) towards the future. It's comforting to see that our generation has still a lot to show for before we're kicked aside as a pile of junk, or exposed as living museum stock, as The Rolling Stones or the Men who Came Back from Hell (Steve Tyler's gang).

My breakdown

DISCOTHEQUE
Ironical to the hilt. Loved the Village People parody on the video, the out of tempo Boom Cha and the vicious music chosen to pay tribute to the ubiquitous mirrorball. Not my fave on the album but a great song.

DO YOU FEEL LOVED?
An exquisite song with a great beat that holds, the vibe of the album both in music and lyrics. A great opening for the furious Mofo. Generally underrated - appreciated by a selected few.

MOFO
Undoubtedly one of the stellar peaks on this album. Bono stripped to the core of his soul. Musically brilliant. Lyric-wise at his best. Still looking for the face I had before the world was made One of my U2 fave lines.

IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS
Doesn't add or subtract anything to the album. Weakest point on the album IMO. Totally skippable. Musically U2 can do much better. Lyric-wise - just average.

STARING AT THE SUN
Managed the need of a commercial cut beautifully. Innocent song on the surface, appealing to most ears, heavy lyrics if there are any. Again not my fave on the album but really, really good.

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
This song grew on me. Must admit that I didn't pay too much attention to it at first, but learnt to appreciate it with time. Great lyrics, good music and nice to hum in the street. You got to give it awaaaaayyy...

GONE
One of this album's gems. Absolutely fantastic. Must be my U2 fave song lyric-wise and up there with my faves musically. Wonderful. What else can I say?

MIAMI
U2's most underrated song ever. A masterpiece. Experimentation and innovation at its highest. Musically brilliant - highlights: Edge's furious guitar riff, the off tempo drum loop, Bono hysterically yelling Miaaaaami. Lyric-wise Miami pictured as it is.

THE PLAYBOY MANSION
Don't hate it, don't love it. However the idea of the reference to American roots music and the almost kitsch lyrics to critique consumerism is brilliant. In fact this song is the one that best describes the PopMart concept, maybe along with Discotheque.

IF YOU WEAR THAT VELVET DRESS
Absolutely adore this song. A wonderful love song. Love the sentiment, the intimacy, the texture. Beautiful - to share with your loved one.

PLEASE
Another one that grew on me. Incredible lyrics, great music. One of the album's highest moments.

WAKE UP DEAD MAN
Great closing song. Great lyrics, fantastically sung. Listen...to your soul.

Back
Top Bottom