What a difference six months makes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
I was looking through some old magazines the other day and found this article in Spin from their June 2001 issue. Now they're Band of the Year, but back then it was not a very flattering "spin"...

U2: March 24, 2001
National Car Rental Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

And coming around what may be their final turn: U2, the once-and again mighty saviors, now fortified with a renewed commitment to sincerity. Elevation is the nostalgically uplifting name of their latest tour, the first since the relative debacle of 1997?s Pop Mart extravaganza, but a more accurate name might be Reclamation. After all, it?s been a decade since anyone besides fanatics went to a U2 show to hear the new stuff, and the triumph of All That You Can?t Leave Behind has sent the aging rockers questing for their old job as World?s Greatest Band. They know this may be their last chance, so they?ve jettisoned the lemons and olives in favor of a utilitarian stage smaller than a New York City rooftop. They?ve also dropped the irony and replaced it with old-fashioned l-o-v-e.

At various points during this sold-out show, opening night of a 33-city tour, Bono wished his wife happy birthday, dedicated a song to Michael Hutchence, and stopped the show to hug his bandmates on a heart-shaped catwalk that jutted into the audience. While risky both artistically and literally (Bono accidentally toppled into the audience during the ?Until the End of the World?), the close connection with their fans paid off in the music. It was particlularly striking to see how the crowd connectected with the new material like ?Elevation? and ?Beautiful Day,? the newest shout-along anthems driven by the Edge, whose melody-oriented playing continues to chime like church bells.

The band treated the requisite oldies with the same passion as the lesser-known songs. Freed from the ironic distance they once brought to their live shows, U2 got over almost solely on the intensity of their playing. By midset, about the only visuals we?d seen wer black-and-white shots of the band on monitors above the stage. But as the show progressed, up popped U2?s famed self-indulgence. Bono sang the first verse of ?Mysterious Ways? lying on his back while a video screen lifted him skyward. Six new color screens then flashed in silhouetted woman belly-dancing inslow motion. Even as they approach the finish line, U2 still beg us to love them, metaphorically waving that same flag from Red Rocks so many years ago. They?ll win the race by a nose, with their egos coming in a close second.
?Nick Marino

This needs serious revision...I can only hope that by now, after U2's hugely successful tour, album and response to 9-11 the author is changing his tune!

Though in a way he is indicative of what U2 was up against when they released ATYCLB.

You gotta have faith!

And coming around what may be their final turn: U2, the once-and again mighty saviors, now fortified with a renewed commitment to sincerity. Elevation is the nostalgically uplifting name of their latest tour, the first since the relative debacle of 1997?s Pop Mart extravaganza, but a more accurate name might be Reclamation. After all, it?s been a decade since anyone besides fanatics went to a U2 show to hear the new stuff, and the triumph of All That You Can?t Leave Behind has sent the aging rockers questing for their old job as World?s Greatest Band. They know this may be their last chance, so they?ve jettisoned the lemons and olives in favor of a utilitarian stage smaller than a New York City rooftop. They?ve also dropped the irony and replaced it with old-fashioned l-o-v-e.

LMAO!!! I LOVE reading stuff like that!
biggrin.gif

But seriously the guy does need to rewrite it. U2 had a special year and deserves better.

Y'know, I haven't even looked at a Spin magazine since they did a probably infamous U2 cover story yeeeears ago, in which...over the usual 4 or 5 cover-story pages...they SLAGGED the band! Never mind that they slagged MY band, but it struck me as outright sleazy journalism to give them the cover (and their readership certain expectations that go along with that) and then mock them. Offended me as a reader, a fan, a writer.

so to find them as "Band of the Year" came as something of a shock... I gagged when I did it, but I bought the thing. The writing's actually quite humane. The piece you've just quoted, DebSG, is more what I expect from Spin...and my world is set aright
wink.gif

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I've read better reviews
I've read worse reviews

I'm not exactly sure what point he is trying to get across though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom