What 1990-2000 song would you want U2 to remake for a "Best Of?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimcart

The Fly
"The Sweetest Thing" was a huge hit when it was re-recorded for the Best of 80-90. What song from 90-00 would you choose for U2 to re-record for the upcoming "best of?"

I think if they wanted to play off of their new "sound," they could re-record "Dirty Day." But I am also torn over "North and South of the River." What do you think?

Heaven and Hell

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Slow Dancing = huge hit

North and South of the River would also be good. That live version is WAAAAAY better than the studio version.

I loved Bono's version of Slow Dancing as well. However, it wouldn't really need to me remade -- it is fine as it is, so.. fairly unlikely. I'm not sure what to think they will release -- everything is either perfect as it is or is completely pointless to remake (all of Pop, pretty much Zooropa is counted out, AB is silly..)

Edit: Hmm, I am not reading subject titles close enough again.
tongue.gif
I'd love for them to remake Where Did It All Go Wrong, personally, or Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 04-11-2002).]

I don't know if any of their nineties b-sides have any hit potential, but I'd like to hear North and South of the River remade without an overly complicated arrangement, like the Omagh tribute version. But then, they've sort of already done that, eh?
smile.gif

Just release Sweet Baby Jane as it is. it's got #1 written all over it.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
In the name of the father

full band.

I was thinking... I wouldn't want any song re-done, and then I read your post.
biggrin.gif
A full band version of "In The Name of The Father" would be waaaay cool. I love what Gavin and Bono did but a U2 made "ITNOTF" would be interesting... though this will never ever happen.

So in the end she sticks to her guns and say NONE.

------------------
...there's so much doubt in every heart,
for all our faults we carry on

I think of:

- Lady With The Spinning Head ( very catchy, got a potential to be a huge hit, it wouldn't really need to be remade )

- Slow Dancing ( I love the version with Bono on vocal )

but for me the perfect choice would be
- North And South Of The River
( similar to Omagh tribute version )
One of the most beautiful and emotional song I've ever heard..Makes me cry almost everytime I'm listening to it...

Yay! 3 votes now for 'Where Did It All Go Wrong'. That song has HUGE potential. Really big. I'd like to see where it could all go right, as I think it could, and should.

Of course, 'North And South' and 'Slow Dancing' would be my other choices. However, I don't think U2 will re-mix an old song this time, as they are apparently working on *new* songs, right? Unless "new" just means re-worked. Ah, the excitement of anticipation is nearly killing me...

------------------
The Tempest

If you mean Take You Down from the Salome boot, the riff and bridge of that made it to Ultra Violet, the solo made it to the Fly, and the general arrangement became Lady With the Spinning Head. Not much more you can take from it, except the weird double-tracked Bono.
smile.gif

So far, I think a full band In the Name of the Father and the Wanderer with Bono on lead are both pretty cool ideas. Most of the other semi-rare stuff from the era (North and South of the River, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Slow Dancing) just feels perfect as it is. Well, so does the original version of Sweetest Thing, so who knows what we'll get. I'd prefer if it was a remade song instead of a completely new one, since that's just more appropriate on a retrospective of a specific time period.

{If you mean Take You Down from the Salome boot, the riff and bridge of that made it to Ultra Violet, the solo made it to the Fly, and the general arrangement became Lady With the Spinning Head. Not much more you can take from it, except the weird double-tracked Bono.}

I don't think they are the same song....there was a rock and roll version that was left off of Zooropa for obvious reasons (since this version would have been different after the outtakes)......Bono often sings words from other songs over different music...Like Take You Down, he sings Wake up Dead Man over music for "she's gonna blow your house down."

Back
Top Bottom