Week 65 Chart News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
UK Charts:

Well the news ain't that good. ATYCLB drops 19 places to #95, its lowest position ever in the UK charts. Under different circumstances I would probably think we are close to the end of this album's run in the UK charts. However, this album has proved to be very persistent in time and it won't be too much time from now that it will profit from some publicity or single release to climb the charts again. Maybe we won't know its chart news for the next couple of weeks if it falls off the top 100 but I'm pretty sure it will appear again soon just how it happened in the US charts where it was off the top 100 for a few weeks but then climbed up again and been there ever since.

--->Doctorwho<---
I gave you the UK chart positions you had asked me in the previous week's thread, so now that the album might get off the charts for a while maybe is the chance you could do a small resume of the whole run in the UK charts.

Andy

come on people! they released four singles from the album in the uk, and have gotten through two christmases, toured, been lauded then snubbed by the brits, disappeared to america for months on end, have had nine previous studio albums, been around for 20 years, and still manage to hang on for nearly 70 weeks! stop complaining!

Well in Oz, the news really isn't all that much better.

ATYCLB fell out of the Top 50 in it's 65th week.

Walk has been out of the Top 50 for two weeks now.

So....it looks grim, but there are a few good things:

The Elevation DVD rose from 6 to No. 5

The Elevation Video rose from 4 to No. 3.

That's all from me for now.
Bless ya!
WHYWHY

Another sign the album ATYCLB has been out a long time is that in 9 months, it will officially be considered a catalog album. Thats music industry word for an "old album" out for 2 years or more.
Watch out though in Europe. The album may see another surge if U2 do the stadium tour of Europe this summer. Its over 11 million copies now world wide and will definitely see 12 million before the end of 2002.

Yeah, I think that U2 will take a pretty big hit in the U.S. this week too.

Bullet the Blue Sky is right on the money. The album has been out a looooong time. It will probably bounce back up charts everywhere (not just the U.S.) after the superbowl performance and then after the grammys, since these are now more global events.

But I don't really care too much now. It had a great run. It will be certified 4 times platinum in the U.S. in the somewhat near future. They've been nominated for 11 grammys off this album and had 4 songs nominated from this one album!

I think it needs to go away pretty soon so the public can have a U2 break before new stuff comes out. Either way they move on the chart now is alright by me.

Well, hits numbers are in and it is good and bad for U2 in the U.S. They drop 9 spots on hits chart but only go down 2% in sales. Now while hits chart positions and sales numbers always seem to be a bit high, their percentage increases and decreases are usually fairly accurate. With this in mind, U2 sold 19,000 last week according to Soundscan, so this week they only go down about 400 copies. Not bad. We will see if that is true if we are able to get soundscan numbers again this week.

The bigger story and the reason for U2's drop in placement is that it looks like sales are picking up again. Pretty impressive gains across the board although no big new releases. The Strokes were the biggest gainers with 79% increase reported by hits.

that's all for now

Hello,

Here is another update on the album that does not want to fade. This week, the charts are a bit boring, however. In fact, this week is so slow that most of this post is a carbon copy of last week's post (sorry, I'm a bit lazy today). As always, the chart used is the Mega Top 100 ( http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ ).
This week, ATYCLB rises to the position it was 2 weeks ago, #41. There is not much to say about this performance at this point. U2 isn't much in the media here, the Walk On single is almost out of the charts (see below). Only the Elevation DVD is performing very well. But every sale of a U2 album is a good sale.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57-61
44-41-44-41
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The Best Of 1980-1990 also doesn't move that much. It rises one position to #63. As with ATYCLB, there is not much to say about this, only that the sales of albums seems to be very low this week, causing a small difference to have a big impact on the charts.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56-63-45
47-64-63

Just like last week, Dutch band Blof occupies the top position. Buena Vista Social Club is also hanging steady in the charts, although falling a few positions to #98 (in their 212th week).
Blof's single Dichterbij Dan Ooit (Closer Than Ever) drops 10 positions from to #74.

This week Walk On drops only 2 positions to #77. I didn't expect the song to be in the Top 100 for another week, but it does. However, below #75 it isn't a sales-only chart, as airplay is also going to count (with sales:airplay as 1:2). So maybe the single can hang on a few more weeks as it is played on radio regularly. At least it completed the first string of ten weeks.
Here is the chart run of Walk On:
31-8-10-28-32-41-49-58-75-77

The #1 single also remains the same here. For a third week Lopen Op Het Water (Walking On Water) by Marco Borsato & Sita is the best-selling single. This is very appropriate, as the chart is dated to 02-02-02, which is the same date as the royal wedding here (our Prince of Orange is going to marry his fiancee, Maxima Zorreguieta from Argentina). And the #1 single was recorded and released especially for that occasion. The single is also the 550th #1 since the beginning of a Dutch hitlist on 30-10-1965 (The Beatles' Yesterday was the first #1).
As the single is a one-off release, there is no accompanying album.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hello,

I make this a quick one as I haven't got much time. On the Billboard 200 ATYCLB drops 5 positions to #61. However, its sales rise slightly as 20141 copies were sold according to Soundscan (compared to last weeks 19411).
Again, I have Soundscan figures for the full Billboard 200, so if you're interested about a particular artist, you can ask it before tomorrow (as I'm going skiing for a week this coming Friday).

C ya!

Marty

------------------

I'd like to see figures for CREED, LINKIN PARK, ENYA, NO DOUBT, DAVE MATTHEWS, STAINED, N'SYNC and LIMP BIZKIT! Thanks POP MARTIAN! Its amazing your getting this soundscan info!

While people here fret about ATYCLB being at #95, I think they should look at the fact that ATYCLB in January has been back on the charts of 11 countries instead of 6 at Christmas time. Here are the chart positions for ATYCLB around the world for Week 65!

Canada #24
Switzerland #74
United States #61
United Kingdom #95
Denmark #78
Netherlands #41
Austria #61
Italy #40
France #127
Ireland #24
Belgium #40

Total Global sales were about 47,400 copies for week 65! Global sales total for ATYCLB is now 10,989,760! These are of course rough estimates, but in general not to far off the mark based on periodic info I have seen over the past 8 months. Sales in the USA are just over 20,000 copies for week 65.

Originally posted by STING2:
I'd like to see figures for CREED, LINKIN PARK, ENYA, NO DOUBT, DAVE MATTHEWS, STAINED, N'SYNC and LIMP BIZKIT! Thanks POP MARTIAN! Its amazing your getting this soundscan info!

*agrees and applauds PopMartijn!

Since my SoundScan contact person (Melissa) apparently dropped off the face of the planet, I'm glad we have you to get us actual sales info.

Based on the SoundScan info. you provided, total U.S. SoundScan sales after 64 weeks are: 3,366,313 copies. It'll be 2 weeks before we see any impact from the Super Bowl performance, so I expect another 20,000 copies sales week next week and then perhaps a spike the following week.

Hello,

Gee, I offer to provide some SoundScan numbers, now Sting2 is asking for much detailed info. Next week you have to look for yourself!!!
biggrin.gif
(In fact, you have to as I will be inspecting the snow in Austria) So for everyone who is interested, here is the link to the forum where they provide the SoundScan information: http://www.starpolish.com/velvetrope
The info is also in the Velvetrope forum (no, it isn't a Janet Jackson forum, although I also thought this when I first saw the name). Usually, SoundScan info is posted on Wednesday, a bit later in the day. I only know this forum for 2 weeks (and I haven't registered, I'm only lurking) so I can't say much more about music business info. But it is interesting.

Now for the SoundScan data, here are the numbers you've asked for Sting2. The format is:

LW TW Artist/Title #'s TW #'s LW
2 2 CREED|WEATHERED 119131 128040
3 3 LINKIN PARK|HYBRID THEORY 94383 92634
10 11 ENYA|DAY WITHOUT RAIN 62249 62835
15 14 NO DOUBT|ROCK STEADY 54681 53258
34 40 STAIND|BREAK THE CYCLE 27486 26822
54 57 N SYNC|CELEBRITY 20871 19713
72 75 MATTHEWS*DAVE B|EVERYDAY 16133 16714
77 92 LIMP BIZKIT|REMIXES-NEW OLD SO 14207 15442
169 175 LIMP BIZKIT|CHOCOLATE STARFISH 7907 7674
186 197 MATTHEWS*DAVE B|LIVE IN CHICAG 6665 7108

Oh, and you may not notice it, especially when seeing the sales figures in the higher regions, but there was only a marginal sales increase of the top 200 acts (800 copies were sold more this week compared to last week).

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Hey thanks Pop Martian, this is great stuff! Hard to believe N'SYNC is still hanging in there, but they are only selling half of what they did last time. Also, Creed continues to do very well. They are also on a lot of international charts as well although not ranked that high for an album out for 10 weeks. Creeds overall popularity continues to rise in a big way, and they are making inroads in other countries that the Dave Matthews Band and N'SYNC failed to do after all this time. Dave Matthews and N'SYNC seem to be on the way down in the USA without ever having established an international presence. Creed still has a long way to go though, but the wave their riding does not seem to be stopping. Still not strong enough to hit the stadiums in the USA yet, but a 4th or 5 th album might change that if the current trend continues.
Thanks for the info, and the website to check the numbers!

Originally posted by STING2:
Hey thanks Pop Martian, this is great stuff! Hard to believe N'SYNC is still hanging in there, but they are only selling half of what they did last time. Also, Creed continues to do very well. They are also on a lot of international charts as well although not ranked that high for an album out for 10 weeks. Creeds overall popularity continues to rise in a big way, and they are making inroads in other countries that the Dave Matthews Band and N'SYNC failed to do after all this time. Dave Matthews and N'SYNC seem to be on the way down in the USA without ever having established an international presence. Creed still has a long way to go though, but the wave their riding does not seem to be stopping. Still not strong enough to hit the stadiums in the USA yet, but a 4th or 5 th album might change that if the current trend continues.
Thanks for the info, and the website to check the numbers!

While it took a while for DMB to finally "get to me," I can now appreciate them. However, I don't view Creed's success as a good thing.

Actually, I'm rather puzzled by it. The overwhelming amount of people I talk to - ranging from 22 to 37 - say they really do not like Creed, maybe even hate them. So where are these Creed fans?

To me, Creed = Pearl Jam + U2 + REM - originality - talent

Sorry, Creed have yet to do anything for me. I hope they flop soon - God forbid I have to listen to them for another 4 or 5 albums.

Yes, great info!! U2 continues to sell steadily without a hit single, or video, or tour.

As for Creed. I always ask that same question. I have never spoken to a single person who said they like them, let alone have bought one of their albums!

I mean Creed sucks BAD! I often wonder who sucks more them or Alanis Morrissette. Have you guys heard that new song?!?!?!?! I would say she sucks worse and that is saying a lot.

I disagree with doctorwho a bit on the whole Pearl jam+U2+REM. Even without originality and talent. you put those three names together and you have something pretty damn good. I really don't hear any REM influences in their music. To me they are more of a PJ+U2+Collective Soul - talent - originality = Creed
smile.gif

Can't wait to see the bowl performance!!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
While it took a while for DMB to finally "get to me," I can now appreciate them. However, I don't view Creed's success as a good thing.

Sorry, Creed have yet to do anything for me. I hope they flop soon - God forbid I have to listen to them for another 4 or 5 albums.

Amen doctor!!

ATYCLB #24 in Canada? I always knew those Canadians have good taste. They developed my favorite sport, they make great beer...

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Back
Top Bottom