WeeK 62

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
UK Charts:

ATYCLB rises 8 spots to #56!
Walk On rises 10 spots to #58!

I doubt this is because of the Grammy's, there wasn't enough time for that but who knows, maybe it played a small part.

We do expect a bigger rise next week, though, if the hype about the Grammy's works.

I was just thinking now that this album is so amazingly enduring in time. Still doing well after such a long time. That's so cool, wait to see what happens when a new single is released!

Andy

In Australia ATYCLB re-enters the chart at 29. But surprisingly is still only certified as 4 x platinum, despite reaching 3 x platinum last year and being the 10th biggest seller in Australia this year (and ahead of albums released this year which have been certified as 2 x platinum).

Mike

ATYCLB just peaked its head in at number 49 and then 50 with about 37% sales tallied on hitsdailydouble for U.S. sales. This, along with it rising on the Amazon charts, should mean a fairly nice rise on the Billboard charts in the U.S. this week.

Dear All,

Thought I would pull my weight and post some chart info around the world as it has been a little while (isn't there a song). Previous weeks in brackets

ATYCLB

UK 56 (64)
Netherlands 61 (57)
Italy 45 (46) r/e for 2 weeks now
France 88 (87)
Australia 29 (r/e)
Canada 37 (42)

Walk On
UK 56 (64)
Netherlands 21 (14)
Germany 81 (54) only 2 weeks in the charts
Austria 64 (50)
Italy 8 (12)
Spain 5 (9)
Australia 34 (34)

For Canada - Stuck is now 3 up from 5 for sales and 63 up from 77 for airplay.

Useless trivia
Best Of is platinum in Denmark and ATYCLB finished at the number 27 spot in the end of year charts for Switzerland. Why are U2 only 4x platinum in Australia - they must be 5x platinum and must be close to 5x platinum in Canada as well and gradually closing in on 4x platinum in the U.K. For the ROW, U2 need another last single from the album to keep it going. For the US, things look more. Mid -late January though could be a few weeks than February for album sales once the Grammy noms fade away in early Jan due to :

- U2 will probably release their last single from the album in Feb
- Superbowl is Feb 3
- Grammys are Feb 27

A single in the top 40 would just be cream on the cake and a mid Feb release makes sense (I could see them singing IALW at the Grammys)

In the current RIAA charts, U2 are at 45m in certified sales (for all their albums of course). Beatles are an awesome 164m and Led Zepplin is 105m which shocked me how high this was. Rolling Stones are at 53m so U2 if they should stay together should overtake them in 5-6 years and another 3 albums. I think U2 rank 19 or so in artists of all time (from my hazy memory) and climbing steadily. They really need another AB or JT to spring them into the top 10.

On hits ATYCLB is at 49 with 61% sales in and at 23,000 so a rise in chart positions now after the Christmas rush is a real possibility - I predict 61 for billboard.

PS Glad to see the Jets make the play-offs and actually win a match in December.

Hello,

The Dutch charts are updated quickly again. You never know for sure when they're updated (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday?) so it's always a surprise. But anyway, here are the numbers for the chart dated 12 January (as I explained last week, due to the holiday break ATYCLB is noted as having spent 51 weeks in the charts last year, so they have one week less than the rest of the world.). The chart used is the Mega Top 100 ( http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ ).
U2 is still selling well all over the world. That is not surprising. But I'm amazed at the stability in U2's sales. This week ATYCLB rises 17 positions to #44! It is for the first time in 10 weeks that ATYCLB is in the top 50 again. Not bad, not bad at all. As I said, I think this rise is mainly due to the stability of the sales. It's not that U2 has sold much more in the first week after Christmas, it's just that their sales drop was much less than other artists. Such a big rise also bodes well for the future. But please keep in mind that there would not be much of a Grammy or Superbowl effect here in the Netherlands. The news of the Grammy nominations reached the Netherlands, but I don't think there will be much coverage for it. The same holds for the Superbowl. I think a television network will broadcast it, but I don't think it will attract that many viewers (and then maybe only American Football and U2 freaks). But top 50... not bad at all.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57-61
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The conclusion of U2's stability in sales can also be applied to The Best Of 1980-1990. That album rises 18 positions to #45. Interesting to note here is that ATYCLB has an index of 11 (ie. ATYCLB sold 11% of the #1 album) while The Best Of... has an index of 10.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56-63-45

Like Creed in the USA (here they are at #78), reporting about the #1 album is a dull task. For a fifth week Anastacia's Freak Of Nature has the top position. The little woman is a big artist here. I don't think that there is much more of interest on the Dutch album charts. If there is an artist you want to know about, just tell me.
Anastacia's single Paid My Dues drops this week with one position to #6.

Walk On clearly isn't the big hit anyone had hoped for. In its 7th week, the single drops 8 positions to #49. It's now even lower than Britney's I'm A Slave 4 U (which also wasn't a big hit
smile.gif
peaking at #9)
Here is the chart run of Walk On:
31-8-10-28-32-41-49

In its 9th week, What's Going On? drops 9 positions to #57. And I think that for the 9th week the single is credited to Stevie Wonder in the online charts (don't know about the print version). Oh well...
What's Going On?'s run on the charts is:
61-26-26-27-34-33-36-48-59

L'Amour Toujours by Gigi D'Agostino is #1 for the fourth (and possible last) week.
J-who? Backwhat Boys? Oh, Britney has a new single, Overprotected. It debuts at #77 (to compare: after 2 days of sales Walk On debuted at #32). Who's interested in these songs anyway?
Gigi D'Agostino's album, also called L'Amour Toujours, rises again 2 more positions and goes to #3.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

at hitsdailydouble U2 sits at number 47 with just under 80% of the tally in. They are at about 27,000 in sales. This will probably put there sales around 33-34,000 this week. The great thing is that hits has 'nsync just above U2 at number 46!!! In fact they are within about 30 copies of eachother.

U2's album has been out for 62 weeks and they are about to take over 'nsyncs which has been out for 24! Yeah U2!!

More news later

U2 is at number 49 on the hitsdaily chart, finishing with sales of 33,200 and coming in ahead of 'nsync! Nice work boys. We will have to see how this translates to the billboard charts on Thursday.

Originally posted by womanfish:
U2 is at number 49 on the hitsdaily chart, finishing with sales of 33,200 and coming in ahead of 'nsync! Nice work boys. We will have to see how this translates to the billboard charts on Thursday.

I just saw the new Billboard charts (issue date 19 January). U2 are at #58 (from 74). The album also has a gold background, but I doubt if they indeed had some increase in sales (last week was actually a week with very low sales).
The numbers again differ quite a bit from Hitsdailydouble, but that can be expected. What I do find shocking is that NSUCK's Celebrity is still way above ATYCLB (it's #46 this week) even though it had disappeared from the Hitsdailydouble chart. Oh well, it will be N-WHO? in 2 years time...

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Oh, and Stuck... is still on the Billboard Hot 100. In its 17th week the song drops 6 positions to #78.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 01-10-2002).]

Billboard continuing:

The Best Of 1980-1990 rises to #14 in the catalog charts

Stuck In A Moment falls to #13 in the adult chart

Elevation Live In Boston rises to #3 of the music videos chart

Andy

Hello,

I've discovered a new messageboard where people are posting Soundscan figures. Of course I couldn't let this opportunity go, so I asked about ATYCLB's Soundscan numbers.

Last week, ATYCLB sold exactly 28,045 copies (which is enough for the #58 position).

That's all I know for now. I'm a little hesitant to ask too many questions there now, as I'm still a newbie over there
smile.gif

Anyway, 28k. Again some sales closer to the 4x platinum certification (always look at the long term...)

C ya!

Marty

------------------

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 01-10-2002).]

well, this follows the normal pattern for hitsdaily vs. Billboard. hits has consistantly put ATYCLB higher in both number sold and chart position than Billboard.

But let me just say, that is still a great increase!! 74 to 58! Now that you are on this chat board with the soundscan numbers, maybe you can get us some real solid information! thanks for the info.

German charts:

Walk On drops to #91 in its 4th week (#54-81-83-91).

ATYCLB does not re-enter the album chart, but made it to #44 on the Top 100 of 2001.

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hello,

I've discovered a new messageboard where people are posting Soundscan figures. Of course I couldn't let this opportunity go, so I asked about ATYCLB's Soundscan numbers.

Last week, ATYCLB sold exactly 28,045 copies (which is enough for the #58 position).

That's all I know for now. I'm a little hesitant to ask too many questions there now, as I'm still a newbie over there
smile.gif

Anyway, 28k. Again some sales closer to the 4x platinum certification (always look at the long term...)

C ya!

Marty

What I find odd about this, is that I estimated sales of 40,000 copies last week. Based on some other numbers PopMartijn provided as well as past sales trends (from previous years), this estimate seemed very valid.

Therefore, for ATYCLB to have a Gold background, this would indicate at least a 10% INCREASE in sales from that number. Therefore, sales should be closer to 44,000 copies, not a mere 28,000 copies. If the 28,000 copies sold number is correct, then this suggests that last week's sales, when ATYCLB was #74, were about 25,000 copies. This low number represents a HUGE drop from the 80,000 copies sold the week before (pre-Christmas week), it disagrees with past trends (were pre-New Years sales were still strong) and it disagrees with what PopMartijn found on other sites (discussing sales).

Therefore, is it possible that the Gold background is simply a mistake?

The best way to answer this is if we can find out exactly what ATYCLB's sales were for the past 3 weeks (pre-Christmas, pre-New Year's and this week).

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 01-11-2002).]

I think for this week the 'GOLD' background represents albums that had the least sales decrease for the week. As I read that only 1 album in the top 100 actually had their sales go up.

I know this contradicts the definition but it will still indicate which albums performed the best on a percentage basis.

Originally posted by ChangeTheTemperature:
I think for this week the 'GOLD' background represents albums that had the least sales decrease for the week. As I read that only 1 album in the top 100 actually had their sales go up.

I know this contradicts the definition but it will still indicate which albums performed the best on a percentage basis.

I second this opinion. I wondered the same when I saw the golden backgroung and spoke my thoughts aloud on that other message board. Some persons posted that (for this week) the golden background indeed indicated the smallest sales decrease as only one album (Josh Groban? or what's his name?) actually rose in sales in the top 100.

C ya!

Marty

------------------

Back
Top Bottom