Week 61 chart news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

For a long time I had a question about ATYCLB's chart performance on the Dutch charts. As you may or may not know, ATYCLB entered the charts one week early as some shops started selling the album on the Friday before the actual release date (this would be 27 October). On that day and the next (Saturday), ATYCLB outsold everyone with such huge numbers that the album already entered the charts the week after. Not only that, but they entered the charts at #1, dethroning Limp Bizkit (Ha!).
Anyway, I've wondered for a long time why the album is listed on the Dutch charts for as many weeks as on the foreign charts. The album did enter the charts one week before any other country. Today I found the answer, as the new charts were published, the first chart of this year. Two weeks ago, ATYCLB had 59 weeks on the charts. Last week there was no chart because of the Christmas holidays and this week ATYCLB is noted as being 60 weeks on the charts. So last week was not counted.
This has as a consequence, that the Dutch charts seem to be one week behind (as it is week 61 for the rest of the world) while it should be one week ahead. Anyway, for sake of continuity I do want to report this in a week 61 thread. Chart reporting isn't about aiming for perfection. You just have to take everything with a grain of salt (hmmm, I've heard that expression before
wink.gif
).

As the introduction was quite long, I won't bother you with any other trivia and go directly to the charts, again courtesy of the Mega Top 100 ( http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ ).
In the new year, ATYCLB drops slightly to #61. This is a drop of 4 positions. These last few weeks the album is a remarkable consistent seller, charting between #55-#65 and selling about 7% of the #1 position. Hopefully it can keep up this performance for a long while.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57-61
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

The other U2 album in the charts, The Best Of 1980-1990, also drops some positions. That album loses 7 positions and lands at #63. This is the first time in 8 weeks that The Best Of is charting lower than ATYCLB. Nevertheless, the difference is only 2 positions and both albums are selling quite well.
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56-63

The #1 album in the Netherlands still is Freak Of Nature by Anastacia. Yes, she is big here in the Netherlands. Somebody who isn't big anymore (thankfully!) is Britney Spears (who?). Her album stays at #36. And for those who are interested in that other popular act in the USA, Creed drops 6 positions to #74 (I believe their album peaked at #62).
Anastacia's single Paid My Dues rises yet again with one position to #5.

Walk On clearly isn't the big hit anyone had hoped for. In its 6th week, the single drops 9 positions to #41.
Here is the chart run of Walk On:
31-8-10-28-32-41

There is a bigger drop for What's Going On? as that single goes from #36 to #48. The charity single is now on the charts for 8 weeks.
What's Going On?'s run on the charts is:
61-26-26-27-34-33-36-48

For a third week, the #1 single is L'Amour Toujours by Gigi D'Agostino. I still haven't heard the song, so I can't comment on it.
J-Lo drops. Britney drops and the BSB also drop. Who's interested in these songs anyway?
Gigi D'Agostino's album, also called L'Amour Toujours, rises 2 more positions and goes to #5.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. I always wanted to start the weekly chart news thread, but I didn't have the chance (as many foreign charts are updated quicker than the Dutch). It finally happened though!

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

STING:

Billboard.com is only reporting the Top 38 entries, for some reason. Do you have more information for ATYCLB in Week 61? Also, do you have world-wide chart positions for the last few weeks?

PopMartijn:
Although "Walk On" isn't a super hit, it did reach #8 - making it yet another Top 10 hit for U2 on the Dutch charts! I think that's a success. Could you please list the TOP chart positions for all of U2's releases (both albums and singles) on the Dutch charts? List as many entries as you have (that is, don't spend hours in the library hunting for this information). Thank you!
smile.gif

ATYCLB drops to number 74 from number 71 this week in the U.S. Pretty sad week across the board. I think that U2 will probably get a little pick-me-up from leading the Grammy nominations. The one who gets the most nominations always gets the headlines.

I find it truly amazing in the current climate that an active rock group in their 40s can still be selling substantial copies of an album which is neither a greatest hits nor a live set of recordings, be nominated for 11 Grammys and continue to sell out arenas and stadiums while also having their lead singer attempt to save the world while not fathering another child.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
PopMartijn:
Although "Walk On" isn't a super hit, it did reach #8 - making it yet another Top 10 hit for U2 on the Dutch charts! I think that's a success. Could you please list the TOP chart positions for all of U2's releases (both albums and singles) on the Dutch charts? List as many entries as you have (that is, don't spend hours in the library hunting for this information). Thank you!
smile.gif

Hello Doctorwho,

Your wish is my command!
biggrin.gif

It wasn't that hard to find all the statistics. Every 2 years a pop encyclopia is published here in the Netherlands and I had an old one lying around. All I had to do was to look in the latest edition for all the singles released after 1995. However, I don't have any chart positions for albums, but I know pretty sure that all albums from the Joshua Tree on went to/debuted at #1. I don't know anything about the older albums though (@^%&*#, I just realised that when I was in a shop this afternoon I saw a book with all the #1 albums in the Netherlands, but I didn't look into it).

Here are the single chart positions:
I Will Follow (Live)*.........................12
New Year's Day................................11
Pride (In The Name Of Love)....................8
The Unforgettable Fire.........................8
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)**..................3
With Or Without You............................2
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.....6
Where The Streets Have No Name................10
Desire.........................................2
Angel Of Harlem................................8
When Love Comes To Town........................9
All I Want Is You.............................12
Everlasting Love***...........................10
The Fly........................................4
Mysterious Ways................................8
One...........................................11
Even Better Than The Real Thing................8
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.............13
Stay (Faraway, So Close!).....................10
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me...........7
Discothequ?....................................6
Staring At The Sun............................19
Last Night On Earth...........................14
Please.........................................6
If God Will Send His Angels...................24
Sweetest Thing.................................7
Beautiful Day..................................1
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of........12
Elevation......................................1
Walk On........................................8

Notes:
* The live version of I Will Follow was recorded for Dutch television in 1982. In September 1982 this Dutch-only single was released.
** I assume that this is the Under A Blood Red Sky live version
*** The All I Want Is You single was released in June 1989. This was the B-side. However, at the end of 1989, with the upcoming Lovetown concerts in the Netherlands, radio started playing Everlasting Love, so the B-side was promoted to 'unofficial' A-side even though it's the same single.

In total, U2 have released 30 singles in the Netherlands. All singles reached the top 30, all but one the top 20 and 21 singles went top 10. Last year, U2 also disappeared from the list of most succesful artist without a #1 single when Beautiful Day entered the chart at #1 (which is a rare occurence in the Netherlands). All in all, a very impressive list.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Sorry, but can't make it look any better. It's not possible to align the numbers any neater.
frown.gif

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 01-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 01-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom