"We need more Canada's in the World!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
Well for anyone who caught the Bono speech for Liberal's and Paul Martin will remember that speech.

It was a fantastic speech, one of the best speeches i've ever seen Bono give. I think he was half cut at the time, he was drinking gin and tonics. But he engaged the crowd made everyone feel he was talking to only them.

I didnt support the speach to begin with because i thought he might endorse Martin (and i didnt think that was approriate) but he never did that. He said ealy in his speech that he's not there to endorse. He was there to challange Canada to give more.

It was great! It might be posted on www.cbc.com later on tonight. I highly recomened it!!

Easily the best speech I've ever heard Bono give.

Commentators on both CBC and CTV said that it was a good thing ballots were already cast or else everyone would have voted for Bono, and he'd be our Prime Minister!!!

well ,that's why you can make special , unique place for him , like a royalty status , and hometown gigs and parties each year, are there any castles in the area ???!!!!

it was a great speech.

i was unfortunately caught on the phone so i only caught the backend of it but the audience was captivated here.

im on my wireless, but have been told this is the address...

real audio cbc

"I'm not a supporter of any political party. I like parties, though."

He's awesome. Wonderful speech.

Great speech,it was pure gold especially when he got into his thirds reason. You know it's funny, after all this time he still doesn't look like he's comfortable with this role. Or maybe just with his suroundings tonight. But when he got into the heart of his speech when he got into what he knew it was just perfect. Though honestly I'd have to say he was more than a little ruffled and nervous. Didn't really think of the convention this way, but Bono was basically adressing the whole nation tonight, getting in at ground level and challenging a new direction. He knows us pretty well here in Canada. Nowhere else or really at anytime else could an appearance at a political convention have that significance. Bono picked his moment well. We're used to Bono being audacious but this has to rate right near the top. I give him a ton of credit for this one. Mixed the hard and the soft and gave a message everyone needed to hear.

Last edited:
It was amazing. If anyone feels inclined to make a trascript of it I'll kiss you.

That was quite a fantastic speech... The reporter commented on how if he ran for the leader of Liberals they'd have a very difficult race!!:wink:

I quite liked this too : "I'm not a supporter of any political party. I like parties, though." ..... and did anyone notice Chritian's (sp?) reactions to the comment "corrupted"....that was hillarious!!

Anyway, for sure the best speech I've seen him make! :up:

dsmith2904 said:
I posted an article as well as links to audio and video in the News forum.

ah fuck...thats what I get for being a lurker! lol
I never know where the correct place to post something is.
Sorry for my thread here.

Oh, as for the speech - I'd have to agree it was one of the most moving and direct speeches he's ever given. He was probably half cut, but I think it gave the speech a more sincere tone because of it! How many standing ovations did he receive? Like 10?

An example of one of his many standing ovation receiving statements: "If he carries the mantle of Pearson, Trudeau and Chretien...and if he joins hands with the groups that are leading this fight - the churches, the NGO's, the activists - than Canada - Oh Canada! will show the world the way forward."

I agree Blacksword - Bono was addressing the nation tonight, not th just the Liberal convention. It was a 25 minute speech and all the Canadian channels were broadcasting it...I'm sure he's never had an opportunity like that before....(which explains why he agreed to speak in the first place I'm sure).

Blacksword said:
Great speech,it was pure gold especially when he got into his thirds reason. You know it's funny, after all this time he still doesn't look like he's comfortable with this role. Or maybe just with his suroundings tonight. But when he got into the heart of his speech when he got into what he knew it was just perfect. Though honestly I'd have to say he was more than a little ruffled and nervous. Didn't really think of the convention this way, but Bono was basically adressing the whole nation tonight, getting in at ground level and challenging a new direction. He knows us pretty well here in Canada. Nowhere else or really at anytime else could an appearance at a political convention have that significance. Bono picked his moment well. We're used to Bono being audacious but this has to rate right near the top. I give him a ton of credit for this one. Mixed the hard and the soft and gave a message everyone needed to hear.
As ladywithspinning head said - I agree with everything you said here. At first I was uncomfortable with Bono speaking at a politicial party convention, since such a move would normally be divisive, but I completely understand now why he did it. Never has he been given such a platform, addressing an entire country *hand in hand* with the leader of that country. And he pulled it off brilliantly.

Many have asked why would Paul Martin invite Bono to give a speech when Martin would know Bono would say things to put Martin to task. My theory is that Martin wants to help the African situation so much that he wanted to be put in that position--namely, to be held to keeping the promises Bono would hold to him, and doing so in front of the entire nation so the people would also hold him to those promises. It was a brilliant strategy by Paul Martin to gain a kind of backdoor support for the cause. We all want our leaders to keep their promises, afterall. I'm sure that's why Bono agreed to it.

Blacksword said:
Great speech,it was pure gold especially when he got into his thirds reason. You know it's funny, after all this time he still doesn't look like he's comfortable with this role. Or maybe just with his suroundings tonight. But when he got into the heart of his speech when he got into what he knew it was just perfect.

Yep. He got all charged up and rallied the crowd...seriously, just listening to the crowd's cheers, I half expected them to follow Bono out the door and over to Africa to help out right then and there.

Originally posted by Blacksword
Though honestly I'd have to say he was more than a little ruffled and nervous.

I know! He seemed kinda surprised by how strongly the crowd responded to him at times.

Originally posted by Blacksword
I give him a ton of credit for this one. Mixed the hard and the soft and gave a message everyone needed to hear.

:yes:.

The speech rocked. Way to go, Bono!

Angela

Well, all I can is that I work for the federal department in Canada responsible for delivering foreign aid; (CIDA - the equivelant of USAID, except more independent and with more clout and more of a say on where the $ on is spent) Bono's speech was delivered electronically to everyone in the dept. Paul Martin may not need Bono to hold him acccountable - he'll get it from his own backyard if the buzz around my dept. lately is anything to go by!

ladywithspinninghead said:
Well, all I can is that I work for the federal department in Canada responsible for delivering foreign aid; (CIDA - the equivelant of USAID, except more independent and with more clout and more of a say on where the $ on is spent) Bono's speech was delivered electronically to everyone in the dept. Paul Martin may not need Bono to hold him acccountable - he'll get it from his own backyard if the buzz around my dept. lately is anything to go by!

fantastic :yes:

Yes,I have a very cool job ideed - I don't think a lot of people can consider reading articles about Bono and his speeches as part of their employment!

Ohh I dunno.
WATCHING Bono deliver his speech was part of my employment. I loved every minute of it.
Keeping people from going down where his dressing room is was part of my job that night too. Wicked job! Sometimes I love my job. lol

Michael Griffiths said:
Did you guys see the 25 minute interview with George from Much Music tonight? I thought it was GREAT. I think George is still pinching himself...

I tried to catch it but I missed it!
any new album news?

Back
Top Bottom