we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

Yeah, I agree with you. "Solid" isn't "great", but it does the job.

Oh, I would like to add that the live versions of Ultraviolet are absolute sex. But hey, that's Zoo TV for you; it rendered Achtung Baby mostly obsolete by being so awesome.

LemonMelon said:

Oh, I would like to add that the live versions of Ultraviolet are absolute sex. But hey, that's Zoo TV for you; it rendered Achtung Baby mostly obsolete by being so awesome.

Agreed! Ultra Violet live was mind blowing. I just wish that one day Acrobat would see the light of day. That would have been insanely awesome on ZooTV. I don't get why it was never played.

coolian2 said:
Axver, put the keyboard down and slowly back away.

Only if you destroy 1,000 copies of the One single.

Some of you may be surprised to know I own a mint copy of the One single. It's mint for a reason though.

Hmmm.

The studio version's great, but seems a touch out-of-place on Achtung Baby.

The live versions mostly suck, unless they have the extra verse added on (and Unchained Melody).

It's a decent song, wrecked by being overplayed, but instantly recognisable and has a pretty much singular connection to U2.

And... that's all I have to say about One, really. I like the lyrics, but I feel they could have been done better. Same with the music. All in all though, it works, it's just a shame that it's soooo hyped.

Axver said:

What would it be coming to? A true discussion forum where different opinions meet.

Yeah, a forum with a gazillion threads about "I HATE the song XY". How interesting. :|

There is no potential for discusion, it's simply a matter of taste. If someone doesn't like something, it's totally okay and their own opinion, but I don't think anyone has to rub it into other people's faces.

It'd be better than 20 threads about U23D...

Seriously though, this is the internet. These things happen. That being said, I will say that we all sometimes get too worked up about things we hate, so take it easy, people! This is Interference.

Now, discussion.

last unicorn said:
There is no potential for discusion, it's simply a matter of taste. If someone doesn't like something, it's totally okay and their own opinion, but I don't think anyone has to rub it into other people's faces.

Funny, because those who love One seem to get a pass from you to rub it in our faces. It's not a discussion forum if you only think one opinion should be allowed.

liamcool said:
Obviously, the fact that the suckiness of One can drive people to commence personal attacks proves what sort of a crap song it is.

Yeah, I'm rusty on the whole dissing stuff thing.

You were meant to offer a critique on why One's guitar tone sucks and the mixing is awful. :tsk:

One is beautiful :love: It is NOT overrated.
BUT, I agree it needs rest and renovation in lives.

KhanadaRhodes said:
one is an overrated song. sure it saved the band from breaking up, but that doesn't mean it needs to grace the top of every countdown, be played at every U2 concert, and be worshipped by every U2 fan as the best thing since sliced bread.
Interesting.

Still, it's a far, far better song than the comparably overplayed "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day" and "Pride" and even "Where the Streets Have No Name". It just doesn't sound that great in concert, but almost no U2 song compares with the studio version, save "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

last unicorn said:

I don't think anyone has to rub it into other people's faces.

But this is what we get, all the time. People talking about how great One is and how it's the best song they've ever written. Books, magazines, sites, ansuhforth.

We are a minority, but we must be recognized as a people one day.

Man, this thread is 1 day old and 18 pages long! :ohmy:

I don't hate One, I love it, but I'm quite tired of it. Every now and then I listen to it (live or not) and I love it but for some time now its been sounding boring to me. I too get tired of hearing at every event U2 does. And the Mary Blidge version is horrible. Man, I hated that. Why did they do it? It's defenitly time for a rest. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

Varitek said:

but I must point out that honesty =/= truth. Just because it's your honest opinion doesn't mean it's truth - it's still an opinion.

Intellectual dishonesty does not equal truth. When someone uses unsubstantiated bombast to argue their position (and I've been guilty of it, to be sure), that is not an honest opinion, because deep down inside they know it to be false.

For example, the absurd claim that One gets no respect or accolades amongst 'people who know anything about music'. That's patently false, so using statements like that to support one's 'honest opinion' - well, that just means they are either being deliberately dishonest or are honestly wrong.

It is possible to be sincerely from the bottom of your heart dead wrong.

:wink:

Axver said:

And yeah, everybody has explained quite clearly why we don't like One - and we've covered all the aspects, from the lyrics to the instrumentation to the composition to the singing. Anybody who says we haven't said why either isn't reading or is so hyper-defensive that they cannot acknowledge opposing views.

Nice try, but not a pass. I gave your thoughts on the song some consideration, but I haven't heard anything except some vulgar rantings, and musings that to me clearly indicate a complete lack of understanding of both the song and what it takes to write a great piece of music.

On the other hand, many other posters have outlined in very specific terms why the song is a great one.

Allanah said:

Plain and simple: the vocal. ..... But more than that, I feel like Bono’s half-assing the song when he sings it in concert. His phrasing is clipped, and half the time it doesn’t even feel like he’s singing

Also for that reason, I actually like the Mary J. Blige version. She’s actually singing it and investing it with some urgency, and because she’s doing so, Bono follows suit when he otherwise doesn’t.

Man I'm always enraptured by reading what you write Allanah, you've quite a way with words and this is probably the best 'con' piece written in the thread thus far.

I find your comparison between the studio and live vocal puzzling tho...I've always felt it was the reverse, that the studio version was more subdued ie less 'singing' and that he really notched it up for the live. He adds little spikes in his melody and nuances that i love. I can say that singing the studio version is far less challenging to the live version, at least to me anyways. But then again, I hardly listen to studio albums..

And all this stuff about his speeches...I must be the most sentimental sap ever - hell, I love Whitney's early songs so there ya go :lol: - but no matter how many bootlegs I listen to, I always get choked up when I listen to Bono's speeches before One, they really have an effect on me. :shrug:

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
I haven't heard anything except some vulgar rantings, and musings that to me clearly indicate a complete lack of understanding of both the song and what it takes to write a great piece of music.

Continued inflammatory personal attacks such as the above are why, with the exception of this solitary sentence, I have continued to fail to respond to you.

gabrielvox said:
Nice try, but not a pass. I gave your thoughts on the song some consideration, but I haven't heard anything except some vulgar rantings, and musings that to me clearly indicate a complete lack of understanding of both the song and what it takes to write a great piece of music.

On the other hand, many other posters have outlined in very specific terms why the song is a great one.

I even made a list, dude. You didn't think I was specific?

Sicy said:
Um yeah I will have no problem closing this thread if the personal attacks continue. There are far too many in this thread. I dont care who started the thread (no offense).

Well, it's too bad that even you, Sicy cooperate to a mate of yours - Khanada. It's a shame that both allowed opening this thread (it's even more shameful that Khanada opened it) after its previous context and kept it opened.

65980 said:
This is the most retarded topic ever discussed here. Here's how I break it down:

Situation: U2's "One" has been adopted by millions of casual music fans around the world.
Situation 2: U2 obsessives feel threatened that many casual fans like one of "their" band's songs so much.
Situation 3: Other songs on Achtung, Baby (favorite album of aforementioned U2-obsessives) are seldom played live.

Effect: U2 obsessives decide to blame "One" for their psychological inadequacies.

Result: U2 "fans" unite to put an end to their favorite band's most popular song.

Conclusion: Upon studying this situation, aliens decide we aren't civilized enough and decide to blow up the world.

Finally: someonewith a "drop" of intelligence in this sea of absurdities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom